Why are so many skaters pissed off that the next Olympics will have Skateboarding?

Daps
How can you say that when the average person doesn't even know what Street League is?

you'd have a point, if SLS wasn't the only contest around.. :francis:

average person knows what X-Games, and Red Bull are.. they have major exposure.. they also, hhave contests all over the world yearly..

SLS has become the premier skateboarding, also fatest growing televised contest.. by 2020.. there will be no need to have the Olympics involved whatsoever.. the premier contest, will be SLS..

MF budz

All Star
Daps
Brehs who skate help me on this
@Sagat @hustlemania @MF budz @iFightSeagullsForBread @MegaTronBomb!
Some of these dudes is deadass furious that skating is getting more exposure because skateboarding is "being bought out by corporations".
Yeah "core" skaters are. At this point it doesnt bother me because whatever helps the sport grow and keeps the skaters paid is fine by me. Some dont like the fsct nike, mtn dew and shyt like that are in it. But it was only a matter of time. SLS loves corporations just as much as the olympics. shyt rob dyrdek is sponsered by monster. The only contest worth watching imo are tampa ams and tampa pro. Rather watch actual video parts.

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
you'd have a point, if SLS wasn't the only contest around.. :francis:

average person knows what X-Games, and Red Bull are.. they have major exposure.. they also, hhave contests all over the world yearly..

SLS has become the premier skateboarding, also fatest growing televised contest.. by 2020.. there will be no need to have the Olympics involved whatsoever.. the premier contest, will be SLS..
I guess, I mean X games and Red Bull are about extreme sports, not specifically skateboarding.
I think people who don't skate have more incentive to tune in just to support their country. Plenty of people who don't give a shyt about competitive swimming and beach volleyball tune in just to support their country.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
I guess their culture is based on being "free" in a sense kinda like graffiti and don't see the Olympics as being a true representation in a way like maybe red bull or x games and so forth. Then again you got skateboarding stuff everywhere like nike sb, supra, Tony Hawk, the Skate games. Honestly I'd see it as a good look for the culture maybe the stigma with skateboarding would go away.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because a lot of skateboarders don't consider skate boarding a competitive sport

I'm a huge fan of skateboarders and I've dated one , they tend to like to hang out at a skate park and do tricks together

Not compete

Someone ban this fakkit:camby:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Skateboarding culture is very "anti-sports" depending on the type of skater you're talking to :mjpls:

Back in the day, skateboarders were more social outcasts & loathed the "jock" types. It wasn't nearly as trendy as its been the last 10 years or so. The olympics are the epitome of jock shyt and old school purists absolutely hate that. A lot of those same cats will swear up and down that Nike is the anti-Christ of the skateboarding industry

Me personally? Don't really give a fukk cuz I won't watch it nor will I care. I'm pretty competitive personally but I look at skateboarding as more of a physical artform than a "sport" per se, but I'll occasionally watch contests if they have somebody I like in them. If you wanna watch some real skating it'll be filmed in the streets anyway.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I don't skateboard, but certain organizations start to fukk up the culture. Look at dogs and the AKC. The AKC pressures people to breed pretty, worthless dogs. All these working breeds that are "purebred" are shytty at their original jobs because breeders kept the pretty one not the dogs who could hunt, smell, or run.

Same thing might happen to skateboarding.