Why are so many skaters pissed off that the next Olympics will have Skateboarding?

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
How many of you are actively skating in the street a decent amount?

My homie put out a video last winter snd were filming another one that will be out next fall. If you go to youtube and type wurdenski anteater youll find it.
I'm nowhere near good enough to put out a street part :mjcry:
I go to a couple spots to skate stairs but handrails got me shook. Biggest set I ollied down was like a 7

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Yeah "core" skaters are. At this point it doesnt bother me because whatever helps the sport grow and keeps the skaters paid is fine by me. Some dont like the fsct nike, mtn dew and shyt like that are in it. But it was only a matter of time. SLS loves corporations just as much as the olympics. shyt rob dyrdek is sponsered by monster. The only contest worth watching imo are tampa ams and tampa pro. Rather watch actual video parts.
It doesn't help it grow. That's the point.

Look at rap.

We had it. It was on the low. Everything was gravy. As more and more companies and exposure to it got involved, the shyt got watered down, put on McDonald's commercials, ghost written, auto tuned, turned into pop, and basically turned into some bullshyt. Everyone is paid under the table. The radio playing the same songs. fakkit white boys is winning Grammys. nikkas ain't even writing their hits

Look at battle rap. Smack DVDs was king. It was a few freestyle joints. shyt was gravy

Money got involved.

Now we got 150 leagues. nikkas doing reality shows. Budden rapping on ppv battles. 5000 titles. Bunch of corny nikkas rapping bout gun bars and other shyt they ain't doing. Corny shyt. Now it's falling off

Look at boxing. shyt was number 1. One belt. One champ. Ali. Tyson. Sugar ray. Own league

Money gets involved. 100 different belts. 8 networks cock blocking the fights we want. nikkas coming with theatrics. nikkas ducking fades. Can't tell who is champ. Nobody watching. Can't even beat ufc in ratings

I'm not involved in skateboarding but I assure you they seeing the same thing.

Next Olympics it'll be the new "thing". Coporations will blow money on skaters who look good for marketing instead of actual skill. Every channel will have some skateboarding bullshyt on tv. Nike gonna be dropping weak boards and shoes. Every network gonna have showcases and leagues and events. Then it's gonna be played out and they gonna leave it in a mess

I remember when dodgeball the movie came out. ESPN was really out here showing that shyt on tv. nikkas was doing in depth documentaries and shyt and other channels started doing it too. All to see the shyt die off and nobody care a year later

They probably on some "fukk that just leave us alone"

MF budz

All Star
Daps

Look at rap.

We had it. It was on the low. Everything was gravy. As more and more companies and exposure to it got involved, the shyt got watered down, put on McDonald's commercials, ghost written, auto tuned, turned into pop, and basically turned into some bullshyt. Everyone is paid under the table. The radio playing the same songs. fakkit white boys is winning Grammys. nikkas ain't even writing their hits

Look at battle rap. Smack DVDs was king. It was a few freestyle joints. shyt was gravy

Money got involved.

Now we got 150 leagues. nikkas doing reality shows. Budden rapping on ppv battles. 5000 titles. Bunch of corny nikkas rapping bout gun bars and other shyt they ain't doing. Corny shyt. Now it's falling off

Look at boxing. shyt was number 1. One belt. One champ. Ali. Tyson. Sugar ray. Own league

Money gets involved. 100 different belts. 8 networks cock blocking the fights we want. nikkas coming with theatrics. nikkas ducking fades. Can't tell who is champ. Nobody watching. Can't even beat ufc in ratings

Next Olympics it'll be the new "thing". Coporations will blow money on skaters who look good for marketing instead of actual skill. Every channel will have some skateboarding bullshyt on tv. Nike gonna be dropping weak boards and shoes. Every network gonna have showcases and leagues and events. Then it's gonna be played out and they gonna leave it in a mess

I remember when dodgeball the movie came out. ESPN was really out here showing that shyt on tv. nikkas was doing in depth documentaries and shyt and other channels started doing it too. All to see the shyt die off and nobody care a year later

Honestly most of the dudes on nike are some of the best skaters in the world. Yes they market them but they are still the best. (Prod, koston, cory kennedy, sean malto, ishod wair etc) Their shoes are actually good and last a long ass time. Its not like there's a league amd their trading skaters or some shyt. Plus every skater will always know the legacy is in video parts. Money is in contest. The growing of the sport might hurt some shyt and make a part of it corny but not the whole thing. It will get those skaters paid and yes corporations paid. Better then it beimg the 80s and those dudes could barely survive while killing their bodies.

MF budz

All Star
Daps
I go to a couple spots to skate stairs but handrails got me shook. Biggest set I ollied down was like a 7
Props dude. The term " you gotta eat shyt to be the shyt" was never so true as it is with street skateboarding. One of the best dudes to come out of michigan actually is a filmer for DC( skated his personal barn skatepark) He moved to cali and realized he could make more money and not kill his body while doimg that. And he said the kids in cali were insane which was even more insane comimg from this dude.

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
fukk it, let nijah huston loose on the world to get them golds like Phelps. Just imagine if Dave Mirra and 20 year old Tony Hawk got a chance at this :whoo:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Honestly most of the dudes on nike are some of the best skaters in the world. Yes they market them but they are still the best. (Prod, koston, cory kennedy, sean malto, ishod wair etc) Their shoes are actually good and last a long ass time. Its not like there's a league amd their trading skaters or some shyt. Plus every skater will always know the legacy is in video parts. Money is in contest. The growing of the sport might hurt some shyt and make a part of it corny but not the whole thing. It will get those skaters paid and yes corporations paid. Better then it beimg the 80s and those dudes could barely survive while killing their bodies.
again... most 80s and 90s rappers are broke today.. but i'd take both eras over the bullshyt of today... even tho there's more money, exposure and it's easier to get a break

the question was why are they pissed... that's why they are pissed... they are happy with how it is now and don't want a bunch of bullshyt ruining the home grown feel and watering it down

Citi Trends

aka milobased
Daps
Reppin
C.I.T.I
is skating still considered some underground thing? everyone is on a skateboard these days

lil wayne will have probably done more damage than the olympics will

just people whining about not being special

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
I really don't understand this weird obsession with making it an Olympic "sport".... what exactly is it gonna accomplish? We already have millionaire skaters, who have major endorsements, and nationally Televised contests.

MegaTronBomb!

Daps
Reppin
fukk it, let nijah huston loose on the world to get them golds like Phelps. Just imagine if Dave Mirra and 20 year old Tony Hawk got a chance at this :whoo:

What are you even talking about?

The Nyjah who's pushing whips that most rappers can't afford?

Nyjah-Huston-Lambo_djbjew.jpg

b83b15e63f2280e19ab98b11448ba81c.jpg

75fe265b932941403d3e47586348787a.jpg

Dude already has millions, sells a shyt load of merchandise.... has a Nike contract, and is regarded as one of the best, if not the best at what he does.

You really think dressing up in an lycra uniform every 4 years and doing something he wouldn't need to do to prove he's the best is gonna benefit skateboarding?

MegaTronBomb!

Daps
Reppin
I guess, I mean X games and Red Bull are about extreme sports, not specifically skateboarding.
I think people who don't skate have more incentive to tune in just to support their country. Plenty of people who don't give a shyt about competitive swimming and beach volleyball tune in just to support their country.

You'd have a real point, if Disney and Red Bull's events weren't mostly powered by Skateboarding,and Motorcross.... nobody cares about rock climbing,rollerblading,wakeboarding, and street luge..that's why they're not events anymore.

Zombi_Jeezus

Bad Hombre
Daps
Reppin
Wasted Talent
My guess would be that most skaters see themselves as non conformist anti-corporate rebels or at least used to and the Olympics is the epitome of corporate/mainstream.:manny:

I think most sub cultures go through this as they start to blow up(even though I thing skateboarding is already mainstream). Some see the positives of expanding, others see it as the end of something dear to them so they get angry. Hip Hop is dead, punk is dead etc... All I know is I'm fixing to burn this "skate is dead" screen and start popping out shirts to sell.
My subculture is hustling and hustling never dies:myman:.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
How many of you are actively skating in the street a decent amount?

My homie put out a video last winter snd were filming another one that will be out next fall. If you go to youtube and type wurdenski anteater youll find it.
I've been skating every day this year except when it seriously rained or snowed. Ever since I moved to NYC my skating has been off the chain.

I've been skateboarding since I was 5. I'm 32 now. I've done mostly street skating, got into some park and bowl, but mostly street. The NYC skate scene is just too raw. It challenges you. You can skate for endless blocks because of the flat streets. But it's tricky. You can fukk up and get hit by a bus or truck and die and shyt. LOL!

But yeah, going back to this pristine idea of skateboarding being this "secret club"...skateboarding will always be real amongst the heads. But the culture or what I knew of it when I was really getting busy in the 90s died a long time ago. I'm talking about the days of Love Park, EMB, Pulaski, Union Square, Flushing, etc being those centralized skate meccas that people developed their skills at.

There are times I seriously can't believe I'm in my 30s and still doing this, but if it wasn't fun, I wouldn't be doing it. And at the end of the day, skateboarding is about having fun.

I've seen so many different eras of skating....the late 80s/eary 90s vert RAD era...the mid 90s hip-hop and baggy jeans era, the late 90s tech era, the 00s, to now. From the VHS era to the youtube era.

Hey, if Anthony Van Engelen can become Thrasher SOTY in his late 30s...anything is possible.

I remember when skateboarders were looked at as outcasts and weirdos. That made those of us who did do it feel a bit more special and connnected. It's truly one of those things that transcends race and cultures.

I think alot of people are attracted to the reckless IDGAFOS attitude of skateboarding. It's edgy, it's got cool fashions attached to it...it's more about individual style then a competitive style.

But when Nike, And Adias and all of those majors got in the game in the 00s, ofcourse it was bound to happen.

Now so many people are into skateboarding, I see more young kids skateboarding, lots of women skatteboarding and it makes me feel liike "WTF have I been doing with my life? LOL!:mindblown:"

It's cool...I'll still be out here. My skate style is nastier at 32 than it was at 22 or even 12. IT's crazy. I can do lines at parks, noseslide, tailslide, bluntslide, pop shove it, frontside 180, backside 180, varialflip, 360 flip, nosegrings, 50s, bomb hills, powerslides, reverts...I've been working on my bowl skills to do backside disasters, rock n rolls, etc.

I used to roll with crews heavy back in the late 90s, early 00s...it's like second nature to me now.

I just cant believe how fashionable it is now...get alot more looks from the ladies now when I'm riding...:ahh:

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I remember when I did my first rail, it was back in 2006....nailed it after a couple of tries. The thing about rails is you really got to commit to it or just get stuck midway and then have to bail. Not trying to get sacked out there. LOL.

I am trying to film a part next week....stay tuned. LOL

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006

Look at rap.

Money got involved.

WORD.

I was getting some Nike SB flow back then....then I started riding Vans.

The reason I stopped skating in Nikes was because I remember how back in the day I was so anti-Nike. The only skate shoes I had were es, DC, etnies, hook-ups, core brands. Skater owned and operated.

But like now Vans are the en vogue sneaker to skate in, adidas makes good kics too...but I miss when it was more about independent companies and less big entities in the game.

Lots of new indie board companies coming out like WHOA though...
:whew: