Why City of God is superior to Godfather and Goodfellas.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
As seeing them all, I find City of God more entertaining. The first two Godfathers are excellent but it was a chore watching them through.

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
No. They’re shut entirely different. Scorsese didn’t direct Godfather.

Goodfellas and story telling style is exactly the same. This is not my opinion, it’s the concensus among film heads.

It’s no surprise the director of city of god couldn’t do it again.

It’s no shade tho, everyone was biting Scorsese in the early 2000s. See Paul Thomas Anderson in boogie nights

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
COG is a great movie. I like the GF movies but I could sit down & watch COG before watching them any day because I find it more relatable & the characters more realistic

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I think it's better because the cinematography is unbelievably good, and because it's such a deep story. All the pieces matter and everything connects in a way Godfather and Goodfellas don't. In that sense it's sort of like The Wire vs The Sopranos. Both are outstanding but one is about an entire city, the other is about a family, and for me there is a greater degree of complexity in telling the story of a city as opposed to a family.
real people in brazil were used for the movie, not just actors

Kids was really toting in COG

I actually hate gangster movies especially with italians and all that bullshyt. I skip that shyt, couldn’t get into the Sopranos, none of it

COG was special, gritty, realistic.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
City of God is a tragic masterpiece. For me, the story and character is superior those movies. The characters in Godfather and Goodfellas aren't empathetic at all. I cant sympathize or relate to grown ass men, especially racist cac men, taking a life of crime. Honestly, If they wanted to leave the crime life they can easily assimilate into society, even if it means less money.

However, in CoG, theses are young folk, 18-21, trapped in a life a poverty, corruption, and a general lack of opportunity. This gangster life for them is all they got. Many were dragged into this world and even some of them who be robbing still be giving back to the community.

Its a perfect film. Visually courageous, amazing storytelling, compelling characters...

I still can't get over the aside about Blacky's apartment. :wow:

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
I don't think CoG and Goodfellas are comparable at all but that's just me :manny:

As one of Goodfellas' most famous alumnus says, "Apples and bowling balls..."

If you're from NYC especially Queens or Brooklyn than Goodfellas should be one of your GOATs. Marty S does a good job capturing what the city was like back in the day

Visually though? CoG is one of the GOATs.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Shieet I got Belly>COG
You trippin but Belly was hard...

Belly was pretend gangsters pretending to be gangsters though.

Them kids in Brazil wasn’t playing foreal. Even if the story was loosely based off real events, them favelas weren’t no joke when they was filming that shyt and some those kids were really in the mud