Why did Alien: Convenant flop at the box office?

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
it just wasn't that good didn't garner much attention either

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
It was a direct sequel to Prometheus that most people hated:patrice:
I didn't mind Prometheus and was looking forward to see what Shaw and David did when they found the Engineers:ooh:
Then when I actually saw what they did to Shaw, David and the Engineers I was pissed:childplease:
It was a slap to the face to those who were ok with Prometheus :why:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The "Prometheus" is trash angle isn't really succinct because Prometheus made a killing at the box office and wasn't that lambasted critically at all. Now obviously that doesn't speak for everyone who saw it but it was at least divisive. I feel like the word of mouth just wasn't there either. And like someone else said, maybe people are just tired of Alien, at least domestically. We get it already, cats understand how it works and what it is and maybe the audience is just bored with it.

These are definitely questions Fox and Ridley are asking themselves now since they planned at least two more flicks and jettisoned Aliens 5 with Sigourney in order to do it

generic-username

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
It was a direct sequel to Prometheus that most people hated:patrice:
I didn't mind Prometheus and was looking forward to see what Shaw and David did when they found the Engineers:ooh:
Then when I actually saw what they did to Shaw, David and the Engineers I was pissed:childplease:
It was a slap to the face to those who were ok with Prometheus :why:
But Promethus made money. I actually think if they had called it Prometheus 2, instead of Alien: Convenant it would have attracted more people

Last edited:

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The "Prometheus" is trash angle isn't really succinct because Prometheus made a killing at the box office and wasn't that lambasted critically at all. Now obviously that doesn't speak for everyone who saw it but it was at least divisive. I feel like the word of mouth just wasn't there either. And like someone else said, maybe people are just tired of Alien, at least domestically. We get it already, cats understand how it works and what it is and maybe the audience is just bored with it.

These are definitely questions Fox and Ridley are asking themselves now since they planned at least two more flicks and jettisoned Aliens 5 with Sigourney in order to do it

I wager Prometheus was a box office hit moreso because of the extended length of time between the last Alien release and Prometheus'. The same length of time, and according hype, angle didn't help Alien Covenant because Prometheus was released not even 3 years ago. Fans who watched Prometheus remember that, albeit the concept was esoteric and mysterious, the actual movie wasn't very good. This, alongside Covenan'ts decidedly reduced hype relative to Prometheus, influenced people not to dish out for Covenant and consequently led to its bombing at the box office.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I wager Prometheus was a box office hit moreso because of the extended length of time between the last Alien release and Prometheus'. The same length of time, and according hype, angle didn't help Alien Covenant because Prometheus was released not even 3 years ago. Fans who watched Prometheus remember that, albeit the concept was esoteric and mysterious, the actual movie wasn't very good. This, alongside Covenan'ts decidedly reduced hype relative to Prometheus, influenced people not to dish out for Covenant and consequently led to its bombing at the box office.

Idk man. I know it has its detractors online but it also has its champions

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina

So why not call it "Prometheus 2". Didn't Ridley admit in the promo up to the release that he went the wrong direction with Prometheus?