Why did Alien: Convenant flop at the box office?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So why not call it "Prometheus 2". Didn't Ridley admit in the promo up to the release that he went the wrong direction with Prometheus?

Because of the vocal online fanbase. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and that's what studios listen to at times. So he'll say "he heard the fans" which is why he changed directions. He said he didn't think people wanted to see another alien movie and that it was done but then that's what he heard fans wanted so he said screw it

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Because of the vocal online fanbase. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and that's what studios listen to at times. So he'll say "he heard the fans" which is why he changed directions. He said he didn't think people wanted to see another alien movie and that it was done but then that's what he heard fans wanted so he said screw it
Ok, but that had nothing to do with its sequel bombing at the BO? and I just checked mojo and Prometheus did terrible at the BO ($126M on $130M budget, it had to rely on worldwide to make its budget back.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Ok, but that had nothing to do with its sequel bombing at the BO? and I just checked mojo and Prometheus did terrible at the BO ($126M on $130M budget, it had to rely on worldwide to make its budget back.

And this one is going to do worse. I figured Prometheus did better since we got a sequel but I didn't know most of its money came from overseas. Figured it cleaned up over here. But with that said, they distanced themselves from prometheus with the name change and putting alien smack dab in front of it. and its not like Ridley Scott's last movie was a bomb (The Martian). I really think people are just done with alien for now. And no matter what they did, people don't care. Plus I'm sure the word of mouth from the flick wasn't great

Last edited:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
to be honest, aint nobody still tryna see no Alien movies. I rather see some kind of Predator reboot since we got better technology now.
We are getting a new Predator. But the one from 30 years ago will always be the best Predator movie, technology doesn't mean anything if u have a bad script/cast.

Kliq_Souf

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
WOL
Its made twice its budget, internationally...
no flop
part III coming, no stopping

:myman:

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
I'll wait for the Blu-ray to leak. The reviews were bad and all these "blockbusters" this summer seem to be movies we've already seen multiple times before (The Mummy, Spider-man, Aliens, Pirates, Transformers, Planet of The Apes etc). I'll save my money for something original like Dunkirk or Dark Tower. I'm not even hyped for the Tupac movie cause it seems a little late after so many documentaries have been done already and SOC came out not too long ago.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Alien: Covenant (2017) - Box Office Mojo

So far it has made just over 71 million in the US and i seriously doubt it would hit the 100 million mark domestically before it is released on Blu-ray.

They chose a crowed release date schedule, Ridley/Fox were uncommitted to either a all out "alien" film or a prometheus sequel, so they alienated folks that wanted to see either one of those and the plot became bloated and bland due to that. :yeshrug:

Also, film wasn't really innovative in terms of supsense/horror, which is what made the first one so successful. I think Ridley was right about (i think in an interview) was that the xeno at this this point is not that interesting/scary, too bad Ridley also mailed it in and was given too much control.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
They chose a crowed release date schedule, Ridley/Fox were uncommitted to either a all out "alien" film or a prometheus sequel, so they alienated folks that wanted to see either one of those and the plot became bloated and bland due to that. :yeshrug:

Also, film wasn't really innovative in terms of supsense/horror, which is what made the first one so successful. I think Ridley was right about (i think in an interview) was that the xeno at this this point is not that interesting/scary, too bad Ridley also mailed it in and was given too much control.

See that's what bugs me out: If he truly felt that way, why not give someone the reigns who didn't feel that way? I know the monetary answers lol but he could produce and he'd be paid regardless

Bigsuk

Tha realest n***a
Daps
Few reasons.....it didn't know if it wanted to be an alien film or a Prometheus film..,the cgi for a huge motion picture was terrible couldn't believe how bad it actually was especially the neos....,too many questions yet again not answeared.....felt rushed ..David ,daniels,tenese were the only characters worth watching .....David especially........the cgi literally caught me off guard how bad it was ...anyone says different they telling ducktales...

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
See that's what bugs me out: If he truly felt that way, why not give someone the reigns who didn't feel that way? I know the monetary answers lol but he could produce and he'd be paid regardless

Pride and Ego probably; He see's "Alien" as his baby and thinks no one else can do right by it at this point. :francis: