Why did Alien: Convenant flop at the box office?

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Few reasons.....it didn't know if it wanted to be an alien film or a Prometheus film..,the cgi for a huge motion picture was terrible couldn't believe how bad it actually was especially the neos....,too many questions yet again not answeared.....felt rushed ..David ,daniels,tenese were the only characters worth watching .....David especially........the cgi literally caught me off guard how bad it was ...anyone says different they telling ducktales...
What are neos?:jbhmm:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Pride and Ego probably; He see's "Alien" as his baby and thinks no one else can do right by it at this point. :francis:

And I said this before the movie dropped or right when it dropped: He gets way too much credit for Alien. He directed it yes but it also needs Walter Hill and Dan O'Bannon, who fukking wrote the damn thing and had just as much influence on it as he did. Also, Cameron proved Ridley isn't the only one who can direct an Aliens movie

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
It was a direct sequel to Prometheus that most people hated:patrice:
I didn't mind Prometheus and was looking forward to see what Shaw and David did when they found the Engineers:ooh:
Then when I actually saw what they did to Shaw, David and the Engineers I was pissed:childplease:
It was a slap to the face to those who were ok with Prometheus :why:

They basically rebooted. Just glossed over the first one, skipped the obvious 2nd movie in a trilogy, then created a 3rd with a hell of lot of problems in the story line. I liked it for a popcorn movie, but the holes in the story were :scust:

JSS

Pro
Daps
The movie didn't know if it wanted to be a Prometheus sequel or an Alien film. They pissed of the Prometheus crowd with what they did to Shaw and the Engineers. They also pissed off the Alien crowd with David being the main antagonist rather than the Xenomorph. So to the Prometheus crowd, it was too much Alien and not enough Prometheus, and for the Alien crowd, it was too much Prometheus and not enough Alien. They should of just followed through with the Shaw/Engineers storyline and explained/addressed some of the questions/issues that people had with Prometheus while leaving some things unanswered for a sequel.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest
They chose a crowed release date schedule, Ridley/Fox were uncommitted to either a all out "alien" film or a prometheus sequel, so they alienated folks that wanted to see either one of those and the plot became bloated and bland due to that. :yeshrug:

Also, film wasn't really innovative in terms of supsense/horror, which is what made the first one so successful. I think Ridley was right about (i think in an interview) was that the xeno at this this point is not that interesting/scary, too bad Ridley also mailed it in and was given too much control.
Yep, even hardcore fans of the series were going :patrice: with this movie before it released and didn't see it opening week, once word spread on how much this movie sucked it was a wrap. You can see how massive of a drop it had from first week to second week. How Scott managed to not appeal to people who wanted a Prometheus sequel dealing with the engineers or fans that wanted an Alien film with more xenos is amazing, he practically did everything wrong.
I'll probably like it.I loved Prometheus.
:whoa: No you won't. Don't get your hopes up.

Daps
Spot on, this films garbage like AvP levels of crap. It's not scary, interesting, mysterious or anything you would expect from the Alien/ Prometheus franchise.

I didn't care for the Crew or the Alien the film really has no redeeming qualities

Ain't that crazy? I enjoyed this shyt. I thought it was a good use of technology. I thought it was pretty tense when homie turned around to see the neo and you couldn't see the mouth and then it just lunged at him....I liked this movie

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked it (read the novelization too) and I loved Prometheus hope Ridley makes a third :yeshrug:

Covenant remained me of the Aliens comics from Dark Horse. Outside of the engineers not being front and center(still think that was only a colony and not the engineers home world) I don't see the problem with the film.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And I said this before the movie dropped or right when it dropped: He gets way too much credit for Alien. He directed it yes but it also needs Walter Hill and Dan O'Bannon, who fukking wrote the damn thing and had just as much influence on it as he did. Also, Cameron proved Ridley isn't the only one who can direct an Aliens movie
Part 2 is the best movie even with the flat azz shot

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
I wager Prometheus was a box office hit moreso because of the extended length of time between the last Alien release and Prometheus'. The same length of time, and according hype, angle didn't help Alien Covenant because Prometheus was released not even 3 years ago. Fans who watched Prometheus remember that, albeit the concept was esoteric and mysterious, the actual movie wasn't very good. This, alongside Covenan'ts decidedly reduced hype relative to Prometheus, influenced people not to dish out for Covenant and consequently led to its bombing at the box office.

Also alot of people didn't really know Prometheus was in regards to Aliens, they thought it was a different type of movie. I personally was disappointed and only found out weeks later that the movie was a prequel to Alien.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The Alien Universe is still viable but I don't think it will ever produce another entertaining movie unless Ridley Scott takes a hands-off approach and allows other directors to make these films.
Prometheus and Covenant prove that dude is not the guy to turn to for good Alien movies.