Why do people hate unions so much?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
This is one thing I've honestly never understood so maybe HL can educate me on the topic. :ehh:

But I've never really gotten why so many people in America dislike unions. At face value you'd think people would love the idea of workers consolidating their power and using it to make things better for themselves. What's so bad about workers rights? I could understand CEOs/Business Owners hating them but not the average person. :dahell:

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
capitalists hate unions because they believe the dollars they exchange for a service they want is nonnegotiable if you accept their dollars

it makes sense until you realize what some companies will subject their labor force too especially in some types of manufacturing

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Lack of understanding of union benefits, misinformation about how unions work, and smear campaigns from management trying to squash unions.

A lot of average people associate unions with lazy, entitled workers who don't deserve higher salaries (sounds familiar right?).

Unions aren't perfect but some people argue that they're key to closing the inequality gap.

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
They take "U" away add a "0"... all you can do is CRY my brotha...

giphy.gif

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
I get the messaging of putting this fat man as the union rep, but the flip side is, should this whale of a cac not be gainfully employed due to his excessive fatness? That’s just not rational.
He's a right wing radio guy sitting on his ass all day. Hasn't worked for real in years.

LigottiHead-300x252.jpg

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Unions are necessary, and I think alot of the good they do is easily overlooked/taken for granted. Their negatives are a lot easier to focus on, especially when you're looking for a reason to hate in service of an ideological position.

Yeah, unions are only as good as the people running them. So union's effectiveness can vary widely even in the same field.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Several reasons... public unions in particular have become cartels that cheat tax payers.
Its to the point where people can be forced to join a union just to get a job at certain places? Then, after they're dragooned into the union they have no choice other than to pay dues that are used for political activities which the dues payer may oppose.
Sure these cartels has secured you higher wages/better benefits, but these are paid for by tax payers who get reduced efficiency and the subversion of democracy in return.
:hubie:If your're fine with all that for higher wages, cool. Just trying to explain why some people despise unions.

The pensions on the private side that private companies have been strong armed into paying have strangled entire industries... sure they are great short term, but when American manufacturers can no longer compete and the jobs go overseas the cost(in my opinion) far outweighs the gains.

:hubie:Again, if your're fine with that, cool. Just trying to explain why some people despise unions.