Why does it seem like shows are scared to recast characters?

Tikal

Coming thru like BLAOW
Daps
Reppin
:ahh:
I don't like it either but I'd like it less if a dope story got canceled over an actor leaving or passing away IRL. A lot of folks didn't like Andy's replacement on Spartacus but we got an extra season and a GOAT tribute to the actor cause it got to continue and finish.
I think Spartacus is one of the most recent shows that made it work with the recast. So I agree when done right you can still continue the story of the show as intended

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
internet and access to the info on every actor changed shyt up. it was a lot easier in the 90s and before.

then you got the super vocal die hard fans depending on the type of show:manny:

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
most of the time its just better to just kill/write the character off

with main characters like Spartacus you really have no choice but to recast

I feel like The Chi shouldve recasted the role of Brandon after Jason Mitchell got fired

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
It can come off callous and turn millions off to the show permanently

you may get the "{insert replacement} ain't better than {insert predecessor}" thing that lasts the rest of the show and becomes the dominant conversation

:yeshrug:

• Dap
Reactions: HHR

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
They should’ve recast Livia, I was interested to see where that storyline was gonna go in The Sopranos. That CGI shyt they used was odd as fukk. Should’ve just had her die before the season.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Ruined Charmed by not recasting Prue. They danced around her name for the following 4 seasons :dead:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
People overreact a lot but they'll get over it. Everyone had something to say about Don Cheadle replacing Terrence Howard in Iron Man 2 but one film later nobody gives a shyt anymore. Same with Marc Ruffalo replacing Edward Norton as the Hulk.

There's of course a difference if you replace an actor early on or at a time people have started to bond with the actor's portrayal but outside of initial outrage nobody will care once the replacement becomes the norm.

I'd say recasting a TV show and movies are two different things. When movie characters have been recast it's most often been after one movie or it's a reboot and the entire cast (or most of it) is recast. Some Bond and Batman movies have done it though.

The attachment of actors to a role in a TV show is also much higher. Ironman/Tony Stark, in all the Marvel movies, may have been less on screen than Sheldon, just in the first season, of Big Bang Theory.

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Never mind I understand now

7bc2ec36d0ae40a82010f4c4ea432b98.gif