Why I Defaulted on My Student Loans

Daps
ONE late summer afternoon when I was 17, I went with my mother to the local bank, a long-defunct institution whose name I cannot remember, to apply for my first student loan. My mother co-signed. When we finished, the banker, a balding man in his late 50s, congratulated us, as if I had just won some kind of award rather than signed away my young life.

By the end of my sophomore year at a small private liberal arts college, my mother and I had taken out a second loan, my father had declared bankruptcy and my parents had divorced. My mother could no longer afford the tuition that the student loans weren’t covering. I transferred to a state college in New Jersey, closer to home.

Years later, I found myself confronted with a choice that too many people have had to and will have to face. I could give up what had become my vocation (in my case, being a writer) and take a job that I didn’t want in order to repay the huge debt I had accumulated in college and graduate school. Or I could take what I had been led to believe was both the morally and legally reprehensible step of defaulting on my student loans, which was the only way I could survive without wasting my life in a job that had nothing to do with my particular usefulness to society.

I chose life. That is to say, I defaulted on my student loans.

As difficult as it has been, I’ve never looked back. The millions of young people today, who collectively owe over $1 trillion in loans, may want to consider my example.

It struck me as absurd that one could amass crippling debt as a result, not of drug addiction or reckless borrowing and spending, but of going to college. Having opened a new life to me beyond my modest origins, the education system was now going to call in its chits and prevent me from pursuing that new life, simply because I had the misfortune of coming from modest origins.

Cont'd in link below

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/opinion/sunday/why-i-defaulted-on-my-student-loans.html

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
:mjlol: now that shyt will follow him longer than child support would. what a dumbass hahaha

Hey mane don't knock him .....he got hustled like the rest of us.,.....

It's the game of Capitalism. ..where ideals turn to scam such as Marriage and Education

And now it's getting worst with all these fly by night schools. .... like Everest and strayer

Solano707

The Coli's dirty Afro-Mexicano
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California (Live in GA)
What part of the game is that? So you can't own up to your obligations and you just say "fukk it". This makes it harder for people to get loans and the interest rates go even higher.

Problem is, this dikk head and parents didn't make him attend a college that was clearly affordable. Not everyone can go to a prestige school. Do you take a loan out for Ferrari on an a paper boys salary? No, so why do it here for student loans?

When my kids go to college, they are going to one where they can afford it with no problem. Smarten up

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
You can't just ignore federal student loans. The gov't will snatch every dime from your paycheck, tax refunds, lottery winnings...whatever funds is attached to your social belongs to Uncle Sam until you pay it back.

Listen to the writer if you want, her credit is fukked and she can't do anything beyond cash or borderline illegal interest rates all because she defaulted on studenr loans.

kingdizzy01

ATXBBOY
Daps
Reppin
ATX x Jersey Devil x Little Caribbean/Flatbush MF
Hey mane don't knock him .....he got hustled like the rest of us.,.....

It's the game of Capitalism. ..where ideals turn to scam such as Marriage and Education

And now it's getting worst with all these fly by night schools. .... like Everest and strayer

:childplease: its been that way for a looong time. thats why they make u take those financial literacy classes when u take out a student loan. i was in the student loan industry for a few years before the ffelp ended and saw that 22-23 year old kids making $10-$11 an hour with debts like $80k-$140k, they cant pay so they put it on deferment which still accumulates interest. then they got $1400 student loan monthly payment. thats an easy mortgage payment.

for anyone reading this, i would advise to borrow as little money as possible if getting a student loan. go to community college, then a bum ass cheap school then transfer in your final year.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
You can't just ignore federal student loans. The gov't will snatch every dime from your paycheck, tax refunds, lottery winnings...whatever funds is attached to your social belongs to Uncle Sam until you pay it back.

Listen to the writer if you want, her credit is fukked and she can't do anything beyond cash or borderline illegal interest rates all because she defaulted on studenr loans.

I believe up until the early 80's you could use bankruptcy to get out of student loans.

and that is what a lot of folks did who became doctors, dentist and lawyers did. they would declare bankruptcy, and then not pay back their loans which is actually smart. they were going into a very high paying field, and would have to take a credit hit for a few years, but after that, they'd be good to go.

better than paying back student loans the entire time. which is why bankruptcy laws were changed so that you could no longer pull those shennanigans.

the artist known az

Hail the victors
Daps
Reppin
TSC FA' Life #ByrdGang
this is what I want my kids to do in this day and age. it's just such a smart choice fiscally. plus if you end up dropping out, u don't owe a shytload of money with nothing to show for it.
Most people don't even have to put up any money to go. My 1st stint at community college I didn't have to pay anything due to pell grants.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
this is what I want my kids to do in this day and age. it's just such a smart choice fiscally. plus if you end up dropping out, u don't owe a shytload of money with nothing to show for it.
Yup. Paid outta pocket tho, tried another school and got a loan....:sadcam: Although it's pocket change compared to others. But it's still needing to be paid back.