Why is Illinois so bad at recruiting the Chicagoland area?

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Illinois isnt a big program with a recent history of dominating and winning...if ur a top recruit ur not going to be looking in ur backyard....ur looking at Ohio State,Alabama,Florida and Kentucky,UNC,Kansas or Duke for basketball...

Yogi

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Champaign is a country ass town surrounded by corn fields. That doesn’t appeal to a lot of Chicago city kids. Illinois cares more about catering to the farmers in the surrounding communities than creating a culture that will attract city kids. I thought Lovie could help change this, but I don’t know if he is fully invested in the school.

A Tribe Called Quest ™

Make Em Say Ughh ... Silk da Shocker
Daps
Reppin
Chiraq
My home state school, but they can't get right for shyt.

I live like 35 minutes from the assembly hall. I might check out a few games this upcoming season.

On a side note, Ohio State got commits from DJ Carton & Alonzo Gaffney:mjgrin:

shyt, Illinois should be able to go into Iowa and get DJ Carton.

I just thought about it. If you took Chicago out of Illinois, the state would basically be Iowa:ohhh:
U still have Decatur, Bloomington and Peoria with a fair black population tbh

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:usure:
when has chicago ever been a hot bed for football recruiting?

The Chicago Public League and those Suburban Public and Private Leagues used to produce quite a few guys. The better players ended up at Notre Dame and the other Big Ten schools though.

Northwestern and Northern Illinois had a few good season recruiting some kids around Chicago.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The Chicago Public League and those Suburban Public and Private Leagues used to produce quite a few guys. The better players ended up at Notre Dame and the other Big Ten schools though.

Northwestern and Northern Illinois had a few good season recruiting some kids around Chicago.

and we see what the results are at the end of the year for those teams..

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The same reason UGA and Tech are shyt at recruiting the state. They are a mid tier program. No one great wants to play there.

I'm surprised that Josh Pastner isn't recruiting well a Georgia Tech. He kept a Top 5 recruiting class at Memphis. :yeshrug:

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Champaign is a country ass town surrounded by corn fields. That doesn’t appeal to a lot of Chicago city kids. Illinois cares more about catering to the farmers in the surrounding communities than creating a culture that will attract city kids. I thought Lovie could help change this, but I don’t know if he is fully invested in the school.

That wouldnt matter if the school had a winning history and track record....Alot of big schools are in the middle of nowhere.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Northwestern advertises as Chicago's team and notre dame with the other big ten schools squeeze them out. Going to need someone to want to go there. Guy that went to my high school, Eugene Wilson was dope at Illinois in football. Won some super bowls with the patriots.

Rashard Mendenhall was another guy from the Chicago land area that went to the University of Illinois.