Why is Illinois so bad at recruiting the Chicagoland area?

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Sounds like Maryland. Except private schools instead of public
Maryland has been a complete disgrace in that regard. When I was growing up everyone's dream school was Penn State. Like damn how you let Pennsylvania come in and bully your territory. shyt ironically Illinois at the time had a strong recruiting holding in the DMV too

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Let the whole world know i rep Zone 4

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
DePaul isn't cracking at all like that. I'm eating quarter wings at one of the pubs on Lincoln & Webster right now. Deadzone. :snoop:

Id rather go downstate or one of our neighboring states to crack some pizzawgs open.
McGee's:jbhmm:

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I don’t know why either. I could’ve sworn up and down Khalil Whitney was headed to Illinois. Shyt, Brian Bowen took 100,000 dollars less NOT to go to DePaul.

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
Champaign isn't the most attractive or exciting place to live in and as a party town it pales to comparison to a school like Iowa. Man Iowa has some of the most down for anything white bytches I came across....from experience.

And if a chicago football recruit had a option between Illinois or Northwestern...9/10 they would pick Northwestern. We sure as hell dont have a chance against Ohio St in recruiting, Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan...schools that have more prestige.

The day Eric Gordon chose Indiana or Illinois after he decommited was the end of our basketball chapter.

We missed out on D Rose and all the insane raw Chicago talent over the last decade.

Then came Cliff Alexander
ku-xlarge.gif

Quentin Snider burned us too by going to L Ville.

Videos like that makes the entire University look like a bunch of lame ass losers.

Our football program used to be so cold man...during the Juice Williams days, now we suck. Its been 7 years since we won a Bowl game, 10 years since we made it to a major bowl game :francis:

I like Lovie Smith but I dont think he can turn things around for us. Its a uphill climb

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
I went to DePaul myself. My theory: it has nothing to do with the cold. Nothing to do with kids dying to leave the city. Nothing to do with Champaign being boring. Kids leave Chicago for cold schools, schools in the middle of nowhere, and schools like Notre Dame that are 90 mns away. I think its because Chicago treats its HS ball like college and doesnt care at all about Chicago sports. These kids dont grow up wanting to play for Illinois nor do the people around them care about Illinois. Theyd rather see a kid play for Kansas or Duke than IU

FlexPavilion

Enshrined
Supporter
Daps
I love my school, but they been :trash: at recruiting for the longest. The problem is they don't recruit the top players early enough. Coach K and Coach Cal got the AAU connect and a proven track record.
By the time they're high school freshmen, they're already getting free nike/ Adidas clothes and kicks from the AAU teams. It's nothing personal; they take the best route to the NBA/NFL.

Last edited:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
That can be said about Duke, Michigan, UCLA, and all of the Big East schools. :what:

And most 5 star basketball players are there no longer than 2 years. :what:

No it can't.

Even at the schools you mentioned there are majors you can hide athletes in to shield them. At GT right off the bat you have to take Calculus. Anything below that is a remedial course. While I was there even the management majors had to take chemistry and physics, and those two courses are weed out courses for everyone. At other schools they had grade replacement where if you took a course again and received a higher grade it replaced the former grade, not so at GT, they would just average the grades together with everything else, keeping your GPA low. Even though I went to the school I would never send my kid there unless they actually wanted to be an engineer and I would not recommend an athlete go there if all they care about is sports.