Why is Lonzo Ball so highly regarded?

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
He doesn't attempt a lot of lays in the half court because again he's not a half court scorer. He's an elite finisher in transition and a good off-ball cutter, he's a PG who can catch lobs, in the open floor he's long, quick twitch, and explosive and can finish over guys.
I don't follow college basketball because I think its :trash: so I don't know or care one way or the other if he's a good finisher. I just think percentage at the rim is a faulty statistic to use if he doesn't attempt many.

Bigtymer301

Mr. Roll-Up
Daps
Reppin
So I'm not a basketball buff but hear me out. I understand Lonzo Ball has excellent vision and passes the ball well. He throws his teammates open. But so did D'Angelo Russell coming out, and Lonzo is about the same size as Russell. Great passing itself and size at the PG position doesn't a game changer make then.

I also read that Lonzo makes 3 pointers at an absurdly high rate. Oppositely he struggles to create and make mid range shots. So teams will adjust and game plan around this weakness and switch defenders on and off when Lonzo is on or off the 3 point line. Lonzo barely made any midrange shots in the NCAA which implies he can't make them. There is no game changing player in the NBA that can't make midrange shots except Curry.

Finally Lonzo isn't physical. He doesn't like contact and passes rather than finishes at the rim when under pressure. There's no star player that doesn't seek contact at the rim and passes it off to teammates, which is exactly what Lonzo seems to do.

I assume then he'll either be making 2s regularly, jacking up ridiculous 3s like Curry, or else he's a better Ricky Ribuio.

Ball and Russell are 2 different players. At Ohio State, Russell didn't really make anyone better. He made some amazing plays at times but, he wasn't really making players better, similar to how Westbrook averaged a triple double, but didn't really make the players around him better. Ball is a different animal. He is a true pg, where Russell is more of a combo, with excellent vision. Ball makes everyone around him better. I'm not a fan of all the noise surrounding the kid, but he is definitely a winner. I can see the Jason Kidd comparisons. He led the country in assists or was close as a freshmen on a team that won like 12 games the year before. He played fellow teammates into the first round. He won't be able to guard anybody, but the way the league is now, I'm sure whatever team he goes to will hide him. He's going to be good. If Ricky Rubio was 6'5/6'6 and could shoot like Ball, he'd probably be an allstar.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Watched almost every minute he played at UCLA. The more I watched him, the more worried I became. Might be overexposure but he worries me a lot. Not gonna be mad if we pick him but I wouldn't be surprised if he fails tremendously at reaching the hype.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this "fox dropped 39 on ball" rhetoric is lazy and for the people who only looked at the boxscore.. ball wasnt even guarding him for the vast majority of those points
in addition to that. you can't say someone dropped anything on anyone when 100% of those points came off screens. meaning there was an extra guy in your way so it makes it very difficult to guard your actual man. this is why the heavy pick and roll nba has ZERO star point guards that also play defense. they can't play defense anymore due to the heavy screens and the soft rules along the perimeter.

Lastly, why do people not mention the fact that ball pulled his hamstring during the game. You could see him no longer playing with the same intensity on either end. he started lowkey limping towards the end. He just didnt want to use it as an excuse. but its a real reason he had zero chance vs the quick fox around the screen with a strained hammy.

KevJ

Overall Nice Guy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The stoop with dat dope fanny padding
Lakers gonna have a 1v1 workout between fox and ball. Gonna be insane.

I like Lonzo tho, but his jumper needs to be reconstructed for it to work in the NBA. This can take years. Kobe reconstructed his J, but it only took him one summer since he's Kobe. But ask Jason Kidd how long it took him to get his jumper to the point of respectability.

No chance lavar agrees to that

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
All of this is true except Lonzo cant create off the dribble consistently against good competition.
this is his biggest flaw with me. his shot form and lack of defense don't really stress me like that, but can he break the defense down with his dribbling to make that good pass? That's what I haven't seen from him.

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
this "fox dropped 39 on ball" rhetoric is lazy and for the people who only looked at the boxscore.. ball wasnt even guarding him for the vast majority of those points

I'm not big on Ball (pause) but he's better for the Lakers than Fox. Their biggest problem last year offensively was shooting and Fox is a god awful shooter.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
i know one thing... they gonna have a hell of a time designing that ugly ass shot in 2k18

I am sure they will work off that Shawn Marion Template.

Dude needs to hire Kyle Korver or Allan Houston to fix that shyt.

Lonzo's shot is already in the game. Sort of.

Release Timing: Quick
Shooting Form: High School 2
Shot Base: Jump Shot 44

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Naw breh, Fox torched him.

Could not switch off the pick and with Fox's speed it was a recipe for disaster. There was a reason they switched him, Fox could have had MORE if Lonzo stayed on him.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Naw breh, Fox torched him.

Could not switch off the pick and with Fox's speed it was a recipe for disaster. There was a reason they switched him, Fox could have had MORE if Lonzo stayed on him.
He was hurt, he was limping off the court. Tough to defend the P&R with bruised hip and pulled hamstring. He didn't guard him like that stop the narrative. He was good defensively in his freshman year and projects as a good defender at the next level. Fox is an elite prospect, again the narrative needs to stop.