Why is Lonzo Ball so highly regarded?

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Man fukk Magic for sucking offf the league like he did his boyfriend Jermaine. The Suns should've been number 2. The lakers are just a prima Donna team.

Ball has an ugly shot that won't get off in the NBA. He's Penny Hardaway without Penny's scoring ability. Fox destroyed Ball. Ball has no defense. fukk Magic
If ur problem is more so with a loser tanking franchise getting a top 2 pick and not the number one seed getting the number one pick

I dont know what to tell you

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Damn man, what he's actually good at scoring wise is somewhat similar to D'Angelo when I think about it

Lakers better hope Markelle drops to the #2. I dont even know if they necessarily need Lonzo even if they miss out on Markelle. Brandon Ingram did pretty well running the offense as I remember correctly. I know ideally you'd like him progressing as the scorer he's supposed to be over having to run the entire offense, but if worse comes to worse....I dont even know who's the third best facilitator in this draft, so Lakers might also be fukked in that department for another year if they dont get a PG. Interesting offseason 4 them

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
[QUOTE="Rainman, post: 24679882, member: 11760"]Man fukk Magic for sucking offf the league like he did his boyfriend Jermaine. The Suns should've been number 2. The lakers are just a prima Donna team.

Ball has an ugly shot that won't get off in the NBA. He's Penny Hardaway without Penny's scoring ability. Fox destroyed Ball. Ball has no defense. fukk Magic[/QUOTE]

You and them rednecks down in Mesa, them tio thomases all over phoenix, don't deserve a good basketball team.:umad:

I see plenty of nikkas wearing Laker apparel, not so much the Suns.:troll:

KingJay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly bouls, Trust the Process
Yes, he can penetrate you don't run the number one offense in the country without any dribble penetration. He's not an elite shot creator because he's not a scorer that's not his game he's a playmaker but he does have arguably the best step back in the draft, we don't know if he can run the P&R that wasn't a staple of UCLA's offense but throughout the college season he punished teams with threes that went under on the P&R and we do know he has great court vision. If he gets punished defensively is because of his build as a rookie, in his prime he's gonna be a good defender. Even with his half court weaknesses he proved to be a tough shot maker in pressure situations. His jumper is "ugly" but he has great rotation, quick release, deep range, good recognition of feet and line. His weaknesses are too highlighted when he has so many strengths.

If you're drafting him to be a shot creator and elite half court scorer or to be a number one option you're mistaken, he's not Fultz. Lonzo is a Penny/Kidd hybrid, he's going to be an elite playmaker on both ends and a nightly triple double threat.
In the half court they often sent him off the ball and let Holiday run it. Outside of that, the UCLA half court offense was a lot of swinging it around the perimeter until someone shot a 3 or came off of an off-ball screen and launched one up. You're assuming that just because they had a great offense he's magically good at penetrating when that's not the case. UCLA was an elite transition team, transition play accounted for a 30% of his offensive possessions.

Let's also look at the modern NBA PG. Over half of the starting PGs in the NBA average over 20ppg/36, and over 2/3s average at least 19ppg/36. They all can create their own shots, welcome to basketball in 2017. Hell, even Penny who you mentioned was a 20ppg guy until the injuries hit. If you're not a threat to score like Lonzo, who can't get off midrange jumpers or get all the way to the rim, you can't orchestrate a PnR properly.

He was horrible in the PnR, UCLA didn't run it for a reason. As the season went on, teams realized that he didn't have the burst or shake in his handle to really beat you to the basket, so they began to switch on screens, much like they do in the NBA, and Lonzo was often totally ineffective against bigs where he would settle for contested jumpers. He turned the ball over on 32.7% of his possessions in the PnR. There's no defending or justifying that, especially when you have teammates as talented as he did. He's a bad PnR player.

If Lonzo has to rely on step-back 3s to generate his offense, no matter how good at them he is, then I'm extremely worried about his future offensively. You say he'll be a good defender in his prime, but with what proof? He needs at least 20-30lbs of muscle and appears to have a bad frame for putting on weight. He was exposed mainly because of his lack of lateral quickness. He struggled against quick PGs like Fox. I don't see this magically improving. The Kidd comparison isn't fair, the guy was 4x all defensive first team. That certainly doesn't sound like Lonzo's future.

I'm not hating on Lonzo, like I said he's probably the 3rd best prospect in this draft. His weaknesses are terrifying though on the NBA level. We're playing in a PnR dominated league, and Lonzo's turning it over a third of the time. We're in a scoring PGs league, and he can't even get to the basket let alone create a midrange jumper. We're in a league dominated by monstrous athletes as lead guards, and he lacks strength and lateral quickness. You have to look at a player's weaknesses to evaluate him.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
So I'm not a basketball buff but hear me out. I understand Lonzo Ball has excellent vision and passes the ball well. He throws his teammates open. But so did D'Angelo Russell coming out, and Lonzo is about the same size as Russell. Great passing itself and size at the PG position doesn't a game changer make then.

I also read that Lonzo makes 3 pointers at an absurdly high rate. Oppositely he struggles to create and make mid range shots. So teams will adjust and game plan around this weakness and switch defenders on and off when Lonzo is on or off the 3 point line. Lonzo barely made any midrange shots in the NCAA which implies he can't make them. There is no game changing player in the NBA that can't make midrange shots except Curry.

Finally Lonzo isn't physical. He doesn't like contact and passes rather than finishes at the rim when under pressure. There's no star player that doesn't seek contact at the rim and passes it off to teammates, which is exactly what Lonzo seems to do.

I assume then he'll either be making 2s regularly, jacking up ridiculous 3s like Curry, or else he's a better Ricky Ribuio.
Curry can make mid range shots . Wtf

Rollo Goodlove

Palestine Titty
Daps
Reppin
California, America
DANGELO RUSSELL AVERAGED 18-5 WIT 2 STEALS POST ALL STAR BREAK WIT LUKE JERKIN HIS MINUTES ROUND

AND LONZO IS BETTER
the more I watch lonzo the more overrated he looks he's not better than penny coming out of college he's not a better passer than rondo or Simmons either
It's a lot of smoke being blown up asses right now

Lakers biggest problem is defense we need a player that can stop wings, Tatum Is an excellent shot blocker for his size and he hustles and gets rebounds

I think with his his size and wingspan he can put a body on kd, kawhi and lebron

Last edited:

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
Lakers gonna have a 1v1 workout between fox and ball. Gonna be insane.

I like Lonzo tho, but his jumper needs to be reconstructed for it to work in the NBA. This can take years. Kobe reconstructed his J, but it only took him one summer since he's Kobe. But ask Jason Kidd how long it took him to get his jumper to the point of respectability.

Daps
Reppin
DMV
He basically is Ben Simmons without the muscle and has a three.

He will be a star as long as he gets his weight up.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
jdzp0BU.gif

chemicalsword

winter is coming
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Starkset...
He has the makings of a star
He has the instincts, size, speed, vision, and creativity. Only thing to be determined is
his work ethic. His pops aint going anywhere anytime soon...