Why is Lonzo Ball so highly regarded?

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

While I do like his shooting, there are some areas where I'm legit concerned about if he's going to be a Laker.

That series of dribbles @4:49 was the definition a struggle move.

We haven't picked yet and I'm really hoping they take a strong look at Josh Jackson who has a little Lebron to his game.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I saw Ball get eaten alive by Fox on multiple possessions. Ball can't guard Fox or NBA guards like him.
So he can't defend because another elite prospect dropped buckets on him :ohhh:

He was an honorable All-Pac 12 defender he has overwhelmingly positive defensive metrics. Anyone who saw him saw a defensive playmaker with elite hands, instincts, length who made explosive plays both on and off ball.

Stop it.

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Except we have a percentage of his finishes at the rim and its in the 70% range. So yeah we do know he can finish at the rim
That's a horribly unreliable way to gauge ability to finish at the rim. If you ignore # of attempts, then players like Kyle Korver who only get to the rim on fluke breakaways will look like elite "finishers".

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's a horribly unreliable way to gauge ability to finish at the rim. If you ignore # of attempts, then players like Kyle Korver who only get to the rim on fluke breakaways will look like elite "finishers".
Bottom line is when he gets the basket he convert. However this is a moot point because thats not the way he plays, he basically relies on shooting range and perimeter passing. Thats why he's great.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

While I do like his shooting, there are some areas where I'm legit concerned about if he's going to be a Laker.

That series of dribbles @4:49 was the definition a struggle move.

We haven't picked yet and I'm really hoping they take a strong look at Josh Jackson who has a little Lebron to his game.

How on earth is that a struggle move? :what:

He hit him with a series of hard in and out dribbles and a big sweeping crossover, he destroyed his defender and got to the rim. The problem there is that instead of exploding to the rack he took a poor driving angle and passed out, he's a pass first player, one of his weaknesses is passing up shots at the rim. As he gets stronger (he's already noticeably more cut in the BBB shoe trailers) he'll finish those off or create passing angles for shooters in the corner.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
He has a ton of glaring flaws that are actually terrifying on the NBA level. He can't penetrate, create his own shot, draw fouls, or run the PnR leaving him pretty damn useless in the half court outside of catch-and-shoot 3s and the occasional step back which isn't a good thing to rely on. He's one of the better transition players I've seen in a long time, but he'll get punished defensively and won't give you much in a set. He has a lot of upside, but there's an insane amount of bust in there too.

That being said, he's probably still the 3rd best prospect in this class behind Fultz and Jackson.
Yes, he can penetrate you don't run the number one offense in the country without any dribble penetration. He's not an elite shot creator because he's not a scorer that's not his game he's a playmaker but he does have arguably the best step back in the draft, we don't know if he can run the P&R that wasn't a staple of UCLA's offense but throughout the college season he punished teams with threes that went under on the P&R and we do know he has great court vision. If he gets punished defensively is because of his build as a rookie, in his prime he's gonna be a good defender. Even with his half court weaknesses he proved to be a tough shot maker in pressure situations. His jumper is "ugly" but he has great rotation, quick release, deep range, good recognition of feet and line. His weaknesses are too highlighted when he has so many strengths.

If you're drafting him to be a shot creator and elite half court scorer or to be a number one option you're mistaken, he's not Fultz. Lonzo is a Penny/Kidd hybrid, he's going to be an elite playmaker on both ends and a nightly triple double threat.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
He doesn't attempt a lot of lays in the half court because again he's not a half court scorer. He's an elite finisher in transition and a good off-ball cutter, he's a PG who can catch lobs, in the open floor he's long, quick twitch, and explosive and can finish over guys.

Last edited:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Here comes the post lottery Laker hate. Y'all Did the same thing with okafor when everyone thought we were gonna get him and then did it to DLO, did it to Ingram last year and now Lonzo. Like clockwork :russ:

Yup....doesn't matter who the Lakers pick, motherfukkers are going to hate.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
cQ4KT8W.png