Will Smith: It's Our Responsibility to Clean Up the Mess in the Black Community

Is Will Smith Right About Racism?

• Yes, the black community bears responsibility and must clean up the mess

• No, his opinion is short-sighted and doesn't adequately acknowledge the impact of systematic racism

Results are only viewable after voting.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So to all the people who co-signed his statement, how do you feel about him saying racism isn't a problem in Hollywood?:mjpls:

It's not. These actors have the means to make their own shyt. They just want white people to do it for them. Which is stupid cause cacs don't like us.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
No resource!! We don't have any money and we don't have enough wealthy black investing in rebuilding their communities. If we don't have the wealthy and educated blacks to invest into rebuild our neighborhood with economic opportunities, and fund local educational institution and youth programs, the black communities are not going to advance. Blacks from the past had our own, because our own with wealth made that happen.

We will never get nothing done waiting on the wealthy. it's going to take us avg people putting our Money together for things to get done. If you don't have money you can always give time to mentor kids talk to them show them right from wrong.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't agree with Will based simply on the messenger. If you have 200 mil in your network, you can do far more for the movement than Dr. Claude Anderson or Tariq could ever do.
I feel you. But I don't really expect too much from entertainers, and I don't think his statement is wrong:manny:

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
He was on point with it :ehh: I came in expecting something else, glad I read what he said before voting. Acknowledging the problems we're faced with and addressing them accordingly is exactly what Malcolm and Martin were doing. It's what we should ALL be doing.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He was on point with it :ehh: I came in expecting something else, glad I read what he said before voting. Acknowledging the problems we're faced with and addressing them accordingly is exactly what Malcolm and Martin were doing. It's what we should ALL be doing.

Exactly. We know shyt fukked up and we know cacs ain't gonna EVER right their wrongs. So we have to work together and fix it. All that other shyt is COWARDLY. COWARDLY BLACK MEN out here shinning and not building.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
I love how he throws around the word "our". He has more money than the average black american let alone the average black man. Yet I'm still looking for what he does for the black community. Playing roles in movies and making bank does nothing for the black community if he doesn't donate or help black children or help to build in the black community.

I predict that his children will marry someone non-black and all the fortune goes out of the black community into another. This dude is a c00n.
I don't know Will comes back to Philly every year for that Charlie Mack event. I'm not sure but I think that raises money for things and he does a walk in his old neighborhood. I'm pretty sure just that is more than you've ever done for the black community so I wouldn't be so quick to talk
Ike you Mandela or some shyt. Also what's up with dudes taking up chick talking points about who dudes fukking and marrying? Y'all's dad taught y'all this shyt? This was never part of the life lessons program some of you dudes need to smack whoever got y'all into this thinking.

No resource!! We don't have any money and we don't have enough wealthy black investing in rebuilding their communities. If we don't have the wealthy and educated blacks to invest into rebuild our neighborhood with economic opportunities, and fund local educational institution and youth programs, the black communities are not going to advance. Blacks from the past had our own, because our own with wealth made that happen.
Aw man not the we izz poor flow? Smfh grown men out here sounding like kids. When it comes to this everybody need all the help in the world but if its was getting some chicks or some other bullshyt cats would learn how to do something to make it happen if nobody helped them. I just don't understand where y'all get these chick like mentality from. I hate having to depend on people so the less I have to do so the better but some on here seem to love that shyt.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any one surprised by the lack of posts calling him a "c00n" is an idiot.
Of course black people should actively attempt to change their communities
for the good but the issue isn't just communal failings, it's institutional failings.

Where your mayor, governor, police chiefs etc. fail to do right by you.
For example : Trayvon Martin and his family for all intents and purposes were middle class
black folks about as far from the worst ghetto's as you can get but he was still touted as a
villain in death and wasn't served proper justice.

These sorts of issues are cultural and no amount of "doin right" will fix that, it takes change
on both sides. Institutional racism isn't some far off thing that doesn't happen anymore
it's happening NOW. When your peace officers can gun you down and get charities set
up for them.
It's happening NOW. When your talks about differences in pay and job opportunities are
swept aside as "complaining" or pointless bellyaching.
It's happening NOW. When you can have discourse on how someone should wear their jeans
but you can't discuss why schools with a certain amount of melanin are receiving less
funding or being closed down and prisons are being thrown up instead.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Ding ding ding we have a winner. Check this out my wife is from a small town in Mississippi. The town is mostly black. The man who employees most of the town is black. He owns a company with a white dude. This same black man along with his family lives in the black part of town. The black part of town is made up of poor, middle class and well to do blacks.

So you can have all of the same block (or road as they would say) in this area a single mom with 4 kids living in a trailer, the school principle with his family living in a 3 bed room house. The lower blue coller family (father is a construction worker)that lives in a small house with 4 kids, the doctor that lives in a huge house and finally the black man that has the biggest business in town lives on a 40 acre piece of land with his family.

Now this is all on one road. The poor lives amongst the middle class and well to do. When the single mom with kids has issues with money she goes to the church and everyone in the community donates money to help her out. Her car breaks down well the brotha that owns the big business contacts the car dealer in town to help her out with a new car. The community as a whole works together and the well to do folks invest in the community so they do not need any outside help.

See because of integration in these big cities you don't have this type of social structure where folks in different economical backgrounds live amongst one another. Even my mother who was in the civil rights movement mentioned that the death of the black community and black businesses was integration. Once blacks knew they could spend their money with whites and live with them they were like fukk it I am gone.

I will never forget when my mom took me to her old neighborhood as a kid and to see the eye doctor she went to as a kid. We went in there and she asked him how is business. Dude was like it sucks....ever since the neighborhood changed Years ago I can't get any customers. The poor people here have no insurance so they don't come here and all the black people with good jobs and who had insurance left the neighborhood and never came back to even though I was their doctor when white folks wouldn't see them and when they couldn't live in their neighborhoods.

That is where you get comments like dikk Gregory (when he talked about the neighborhood in Ohio where the two black neighbors in a white neighborhood wanted integration to work so bad that they helped chase off black potential residents) when he said back in the day that even black people don't want to live next to other blacks. They would prefer to live next to poor white people than rich black people.
Thank you for sharing your stories, breh. Too many black people are not in touch of the history systemic oppression and the black flight that impede the economic advancement of black people. Black people with no resource cannot lift themselves by the boot strap to acquire economic and education achievement. Until wealthy black people comes together and sum up their money for a common good to carry the black community into prosperity, the black race will always remain stagnant. No money, no growth.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
I still don't understand what was so significant about what Will said. Anyone who believes that the black community can be saved by outsiders is delusional. Anyone who believes we cannot solve the issues within our community is in fact a racist. To suggest that we shouldn't take ANY accountability for our predicament is dehumanizing and undermines our dignity as a people. We are not a helpless people nor are we a hopeless people. We have many outstanding, intelligent, bright, rational and creative people in our community. Our problem is that we simply do not work together and much less support each other.
We don't come together on things that will really matter in the long run. Economics, education, building wealth etc.

On another note, our culture has become one that fosters the idea of looking out for self and self only. This facet of our culture has become so detrimental to the point that it jeopardizes the future of our children. Think about that.

The main motivator and reasoning behind why other groups (Jews, Asians, Arabs, Indians, etc.) place such a huge importance on education,building wealth, and economics is ensuring a future for their descendants. Each generation strives towards solidifying a better future for their descendants no matter what the sacrifice. I think if we as black people put our children FIRST AND NOT OURSELVES we'd start to see true change. Am I suggesting that ALL black people do not care about their children? Of course not.

We often times either do not have the knowledge or tools to set our children up for success. We think kicking them out the house and encouraging them to be independent at an early age is helping but it isn't. Doing this is counter intuitive because that child is going up against other ethic groups who already have a head start.
If we ALL strive toward the goal of leaving behind something for our children (not debt) we'd be so much better off as a people.
The Jews are still receiving reparation from western countries. They can easily speak on economic wealth and education because they are equipped with the resources to take action. The Asians, and Arabs who are doing well in this country are the top of the crop from their countries; they already had the means and the education to compete in America. Also, let us not forget that over 82,000 American-Japanese were given reparation by our government. Blacks need the means to compete. No money, no economic achievements
We will never get nothing done waiting on the wealthy. it's going to take us avg people putting our Money together for things to get done. If you don't have money you can always give time to mentor kids talk to them show them right from wrong.
The average people are already taking action in mentoring the youth. We have mosques and churches every where in many black communities for morality lesson. :usure:

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know Will comes back to Philly every year for that Charlie Mack event. I'm not sure but I think that raises money for things and he does a walk in his old neighborhood. I'm pretty sure just that is more than you've ever done for the black community so I wouldn't be so quick to talk
Ike you Mandela or some shyt. Also what's up with dudes taking up chick talking points about who dudes fukking and marrying? Y'all's dad taught y'all this shyt? This was never part of the life lessons program some of you dudes need to smack whoever got y'all into this thinking.

Aw man not the we izz poor flow? Smfh grown men out here sounding like kids. When it comes to this everybody need all the help in the world but if its was getting some chicks or some other bullshyt cats would learn how to do something to make it happen if nobody helped them. I just don't understand where y'all get these chick like mentality from. I hate having to depend on people so the less I have to do so the better but some on here seem to love that shyt.

so walking and going to an event when you are a millionaire should be compared to someone who works pay check to pay check. GTFO nikka.
You must be on his payroll. And nikka you dont know what Ive done for the black community, you need to ask yourself what have YOU done for the black community.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
so walking and going to an event when you are a millionaire should be compared to someone who works pay check to pay check. GTFO nikka.
You must be on his payroll. And nikka you dont know what Ive done for the black community, you need to ask yourself what have YOU done for the black community.
My point is nikkas like you can always sit the fukk back and talk about others when you yourself ain't doing jack shyt but talking. I know you ain't done shyt of note so fukk out here with the I don't know cause it ain't worth a shyt. I don't need to ask myself shyt because I do what I think needs to be done and it works for me.