Will Smith: It's Our Responsibility to Clean Up the Mess in the Black Community

Is Will Smith Right About Racism?

• Yes, the black community bears responsibility and must clean up the mess

• No, his opinion is short-sighted and doesn't adequately acknowledge the impact of systematic racism

Results are only viewable after voting.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I still don't understand what was so significant about what Will said. Anyone who believes that the black community can be saved by outsiders is delusional. Anyone who believes we cannot solve the issues within our community is in fact a racist. To suggest that we shouldn't take ANY accountability for our predicament is dehumanizing and undermines our dignity as a people. We are not a helpless people nor are we a hopeless people. We have many outstanding, intelligent, bright, rational and creative people in our community. Our problem is that we simply do not work together and much less support each other.
We don't come together on things that will really matter in the long run. Economics, education, building wealth etc.

On another note, our culture has become one that fosters the idea of looking out for self and self only. This facet of our culture has become so detrimental to the point that it jeopardizes the future of our children. Think about that.

The main motivator and reasoning behind why other groups (Jews, Asians, Arabs, Indians, etc.) place such a huge importance on education,building wealth, and economics is ensuring a future for their descendants. Each generation strives towards solidifying a better future for their descendants no matter what the sacrifice. I think if we as black people put our children FIRST AND NOT OURSELVES we'd start to see true change. Am I suggesting that ALL black people do not care about their children? Of course not.

We often times either do not have the knowledge or tools to set our children up for success. We think kicking them out the house and encouraging them to be independent at an early age is helping but it isn't. Doing this is counter intuitive because that child is going up against other ethic groups who already have a head start.
If we ALL strive toward the goal of leaving behind something for our children (not debt) we'd be so much better off as a people.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
I still don't understand what was so significant about what Will said. Anyone who believes that the black community can be saved by outsiders is delusional. Anyone who believes we cannot solve the issues within our community is in fact a racist. To suggest that we shouldn't take ANY accountability for our predicament is dehumanizing and undermines our dignity as a people. We are not a helpless people nor are we a hopeless people. We have many outstanding, intelligent, bright, rational and creative people in our community. Our problem is that we simply do not work together and much less support each other.
We don't come together on things that will really matter in the long run. Economics, education, building wealth etc.

On another note, our culture has become one that fosters the idea of looking out for self and self only. This facet of our culture has become so detrimental to the point that it jeopardizes the future of our children. Think about that.

The main motivator and reasoning behind why other groups (Jews, Asians, Arabs, Indians, etc.) place such a huge importance on education,building wealth, and economics is ensuring a future for their descendants. Each generation strives towards solidifying a better future for their descendants no matter what the sacrifice. I think if we as black people put our children FIRST AND NOT OURSELVES we'd start to see true change. Am I suggesting that ALL black people do not care about their children? Of course not.

We often times either do not have the knowledge or tools to set our children up for success. We think kicking them out the house and encouraging them to be independent at an early age is helping but it isn't. Doing this is counter intuitive because that child is going up against other ethic groups who already have a head start.
If we ALL strive toward the goal of leaving behind something for our children (not debt) we'd be so much better off as a people.
So where is this other world that your talking about where white racists will do nothing while we try to rise up? Cuz it definitely isnt planet earth.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So where is this other world where white racists will do nothing while we try to rise up? Cuz it definitely isnt planet earth.

Are you suggesting that we should make no attempts to better ourselves? That is a defeatist mentality and it only leads to more disparity. We should expect our enemies to do everything in their power to undermine us. The road to building a self reliant black community WILL not be a pretty one. But if we learned anything from our history, we'd know to NEVER give in and never let go of what were fighting for.

Apart of keeping a people down trodden is instilling a belief that they can do no better. That is the irony in your thinking brother. A true racist doesn't want you to feel empowered. He/she WANTS you to believe that solving your issues is pointless and futile and what better way to do that than to use the lurking and omnipresent wolf of "white supremacy" as a reasoning.

Were giving them more power than they actually have.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Are you suggesting that we should make no attempts to better ourselves? That is a defeatist mentality and it only leads to more disparity. We should expect our enemies to do everything in their power to undermine us. The road to building a self reliant black community WILL not be a pretty one. But if we learned anything from our history, we'd know to NEVER give in and never let go of what were fighting for.

Apart of keeping a people down trodden is instilling a belief that they can do no better. That is the irony in your thinking brother. A true racist doesn't want you to feel empowered. He/she WANTS you to believe that solving your issues is pointless and futile and what better way to do that than to use the lurking and omnipresent wolf of "white supremacy" as a reasoning.

Were giving them more power than they actually have.
I answered this on page 9 of this thread in detail.

Peace.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Where did I say that? Stop putting words in my mouth. :sas2:

Ignoring racist whites isnt gonna help us.

Addressing racism in this case is like a catch 22. We want to speak out against any wrong doing but at the same time we shouldn't let it distract us from our goal. Acknowledging and accepting that racism will always exist may be the only solution. The sickness of racism that exists in the white community is an issue that whites will have to ultimately address. Racism and self-perceived superiority require a powerless people. Racist use the powerlessness of blacks to validate their own superiority.

Blackout

Daps
Addressing racism in this case is like a catch 22. We want to speak out against any wrong doing but at the same time we shouldn't let it distract us from our goal.
Who said its a distraction?

Are you unable to speak out against any wrong doing done by racist whites while supporting the black community?

Are you and Will Smith unable to do both?

Last edited:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
No resource!! We don't have any money and we don't have enough wealthy black investing in rebuilding their communities. If we don't have the wealthy and educated blacks to invest into rebuild our neighborhood with economic opportunities, and fund local educational institution and youth programs, the black communities are not going to advance. Blacks from the past had our own, because our own with wealth made that happen.
Then most of them get their money from cacs. That's the problem, cacs hands are everywhere. The closest we were was in 1960 and we wasn't even close then. If we ever going to win, this needs to be about economic equality.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Who said its a distraction?

Are you unable to speak out against any wrong doing while supporting the black community?

Are you and Will Smith unable to do both?

What does speaking out actually do? Who listens? Whose sympathy do you expect to gain by doing this? Besides raising awareness its almost pointless. Everyone knows America is a racist society but continues to act surprise when the beast rears its ugly head. The most powerful act of defiance towards racism is becoming self sufficient. I'm not saying that we should totally ignore racism, especially when its imposed by the state. This is why it is important to have a black presence in government so long as the government exists.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I agree with Will. Systematic racism/White Supremacy is the reason why we are in the position we are in, but we can't depend on any other group to help us. Other groups are going to say fukk us, so we have no choice but to do for self. This is different from what Kendrick said.
I don't agree with Will based simply on the messenger. If you have 200 mil in your network, you can do far more for the movement than Dr. Claude Anderson or Tariq could ever do.

Blackout

Daps
What does speaking out actually do? Who listens? Whose sympathy do you expect to gain by doing this? Besides raising awareness its almost pointless. Everyone knows America is a racist society but continues to act surprise when the beast rears its ugly head. The most powerful act of defiance towards racism is becoming self sufficient. I'm not saying that we should totally ignore racism, especially when its imposed by the state. This is why it is important to have a black presence in government so long as the government exists.
Calling it out will encourage the practice of us being on the defensive against racist whites and raise awareness among our people and any outsiders who may be on the fence.

It seems like you havent learned from Black Wall Street.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
"Black Pride" is at its lowest point ever. Also, most of us (especially this younger generation coming up) aren't even aware that we're being oppressed systematically. Media Propaganda which includes this poisonous hiphop/"turn up" culture is keeping us blind to whats REALLY going on against us
I would argue it's getting better. 2000-2007 was the lowest point of Black Pride. Blacks have to either have it now or completely rejected it since White supremacy is coming back kicking more ass than ever.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
See brotha this is the thing. These entertainers get they life style and checks from white folks. So they will not say too much to offend them. As I said before they are bought and sold like the cars I get from the auction. These white folks own them plan and simple.

Also the thing is you got fools on here acting like this some got damn ground breaking shyt that Will has said. It really says more about the folks on here than anyone. This mind set of do it yourself has been passed along to black folks for hundreds of years. You can go to any black parent, grand parent, teacher, black school, black college, black church, black barber shop, black beauty shop, black business and black etc and etc and hear the same message.

If you are actually black (which I question some of the folks on here) and have not heard this message then it says more about you and your upbringing and the people you hang with than anything else.

Last like I said all this debating about cleaning up communities is bull shyt when the majority of these black communities that need help do not have educated, middle (and higher up) black folks in these communities investing in them. All this we need to do this such and such is bull shyt cause them black folks in those communities ain't getting the support from them same black folks who love to run off at the mouth about what needs to be done.

Until mothafukkas have some real unity....pre integration. You know blacks well to do and middle class helping and investing in the poor and underclass communities all this shyt is verbal masturbation.

shyt is really stupid to read this thread. You got clowns talking about what you name your kids. Which is dumb cause I got a got damn Jewish name and white folks done gave me the heisman stiff arm when I went in for an interview. You got clowns acting like this little comment by Will is so ground breaking when this shyt the equivalent of Spike Lee going on Bill O'Reilly show and talking about what black folks need to do to improve themselves. Just 28 pages of dumb shyt.

that how i feel, when black "megastars" in Hollywood will start caring about black people "community".. Other people who've made it support their own with full force, lets take responsibility even the blacks on top . lets stop going to white directors, lets build something,

i just find out rich celebs cacs have charter schools in the hood and own land in the part we like to call "home". like brad pit who own land in part( black part or used to be) of New Orleans . We also have cacs gathering support from some of us under the guise of feminism to break into the game and other-things

they have nerve to come with bullshyt like this. Unfortunately not really saying anything , shucking and jiving is how we choose to see ourselves. (that's why empire is "our" show).
pharrell-adidas-originals-stan-smith-custom.jpg