WTF was Joe Budden talking about saying we fly high was bigger than Oh boy?

Daps
Ballin is embedded with my Senior year.

" BALLLLIN "

giphy.gif

Ballin >> oh boy.

Op lost .

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
the fact that nikkas call the song ballin and not we fly high shows that the one "ballin!!" part was bigger than the actual song

ballin became one of those things where the dance and phrase became a phenomenon outside of the song, u had the wrestler MVP doing the ballin thing and nobody ever referenced the song when he did it.. its like how people say bye felicia and never saw friday

but as far as success goes, oh boy may have charted a spot higher, but off the strength of the giants making the song their anthem I gotta say we fly high was more successful, u also gotta factor in the fact that it was on a indy label which plays a factor in why it didnt chart higher

jim jones gets no credit either way because max b wrote the hook and thats the only reason the song caught on:mjgrin:
max b is responsible for the biggest song in dipsets discography:mjgrin:
oh boy was still a better song:mjgrin:

Last edited:

KingOFKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
we fly high was bigger. oh boy had the video spins and all of that back int he day, yet we fly high has probably been played 10x more.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
2002 vs 2006
Ballin was one of the first "viral" songs and it had WAY more crossover appeal then oh boy. they were doing that shyt on Good Morning America
also it's meaningless to compare sales and charts since 2006 was the beginning of sales and radio falling off so they probably wasn't even properly measuring the success of ballin

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Oh Boy is obviously tha better song but We Fly High had a way larger cultural reach.

I was a teacher assistant at a high school in 2006 and i heard Ballinnnnnnn like all day for months. Them lil cac kids loved that shyt. shyt was on commercials, on tha news....it became ultra mainstream...one of tha first viral songs.

When Oh Boy came out....we werent in that viral culture yet

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Ballin was bigger because of its viral nature and the giants using it as their anthem but Oh Boy was actually a bigger hit song if that makes sense

tkmc

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I'm looking at all the chart positions and Oh boy was clearly higher. You basically had Mariah remake it. That song practically launched Dipset to the mainstream hip hop world

In what way was we fly high bigger?
We fly High was Silly crazy in the clubs in the Tri State area back then. It was the Club Anthem.

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps
the fact that nikkas call the song ballin and not we fly high shows that the one "ballin!!" part was bigger than the actual song
Facts. shyt was everywhere. Grandmas were taking jumpshots. And being the Dipset fan I was I was hatin. Always hated Jim Jones. I'm like "damn all these Dips bangers and this is the anthem!? :patrice:

This is a perfect example of why sales don't have anything to do with overall impact though. People buy weed plates and historically irrelevant shyt in droves by accident all the time.

DMGAINGREEN

Transitioning from Sec 8 to tha Sky scrapes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx

ballin became one of those things where the dance and phrase became a phenomenon outside of the song, u had the wrestler MVP doing the ballin thing and nobody ever referenced the song when he did it.. its like how people say bye felicia and never saw friday

but as far as success goes, oh boy may have charted a spot higher, but off the strength of the giants making the song their anthem I gotta say we fly high was more successful, u also gotta factor in the fact that it was on a indy label which plays a factor in why it didnt chart higher

jim jones gets no credit either way because max b wrote the hook and thats the only reason the song caught on:mjgrin:
max b is responsible for the biggest song in dipsets discography:mjgrin:
oh boy was still a better song:mjgrin:
Max wrote the hook , but Jim came up with "BALLIN" , he been doin that adlib since early dipset days before Max came into the picture