"You Can Only Avoid The Truth For So Long" Brook v Spence SHOWTIME 5/27 Fight Thread

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
Yea Swift wouldn't be able to get past the combination of body shots+boxing ability

Guess Spence a made man now :wow:

When you beat the boogeyman that was supposed to give you your first L because "zyx" and you stop him in brutal fashion. It's always "bbbut he won't be able to do the same with blah blah blah." not even a week later :obama:

Personally I don't think any of the current crop of welters beat him. :yeshrug: too big, too good, to much of a varied offense. I think the interesting match ups lie at 154 but fukk it let him run through 147 and unify I will be betting on him every time.

merklman

Banned
Daps
Reppin
N17
Daily Bread Mailbag: Spence-Brook, Thurman, Garcia, More - Boxing News

Question: Great call on Brook vs Spence. It went exactly how you said on Twitter. Brook is winning early and Spence comes on late. Spence wasn’t his lights out usual self but he got the job done. Why do you think he struggled early. Also where does Brook go from here. Oh and one more question how does Spence vs your boy DSG go? Bread’s

Response: Spence was fighting an excellent fighter. Maybe that’s why he didn’t look the same. That wasn’t Leonard Bundu in there bro. I also think Errol got hurt twice but he knows how to mask it. Errol is a real fighter and he has real confidence. So he took his time and got himself together. I was impressed with his resolve. I thought he would struggle early because the sharper outside fighter usually wins the earlier rounds and then the steadier stronger guy comes on after he’s warmed up. This fight was no different. Spence vs Danny Garcia is a serious fight. Garcia has underrated physical strength. Stylistically Spence comes into Danny’s wheel house. Also Danny is not short a fighter. Many will assume that Errol is a lot taller and bigger than Danny. But I think Danny is almost as tall and strong enough. Danny doesn’t look tall because of his body structure but head to head he’s never dwarfed. I think it’s a great action fight.

I also said it right after the fight Spence was hurt at least twice visibly. Also @ChocolateGiddyUp Bread talks about Spence vs Swift which I also think is a great fight

I thought he was hurt too, but fought fire with fire. Both times he immediately returned heavy shots which kindve masked him being hurt

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I thought he was hurt too, but fought fire with fire. Both times he immediately returned heavy shots which kindve masked him being hurt

Depends on where you thought he was hurt fammo. I thought he was hurt at the end of the 6th & end of the 8th. When Spence came out in the 7th he fought almost exclusively off the back foot which made me think he was definitely hurt. That round he took control of the fight so yeah I agree with you. He had a good round 9 too.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
If he's as methodical as he was against Brook he's getting countered Smoke. He would have to incorporate more boxing in his game. If he's coming forward trying to chop Swift down he's playing into Swifts strength. Swift wants you to bring the fight to him because that means more counter opportunities for him to hurt you. I would love to see what he would do against a strong counter puncher

spence can be hit by counters. but he is not easy to counter. when brook was trying to come over spence jabs with check hooks he was coming under those check hooks and going to the body. brook countered spence with a few check hooks. but he got hit to the body a lot trying to counter spence with check hooks too.

co8IgsE9.gif

the kind of check hook to throw for spence is to throw a check hook and turn.

ODU6NKSQ.gif

you want to turn spence. but danny doesnt turn guys.

spence is going play into some of his strengths. but so is garcia. its never so cut and dry.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
spence can be hit by counters. but he is not easy to counter. when brook was trying to come over spence jabs with check hooks he was coming under those check hooks and going to the body. brook countered spence with a few check hooks. but he got hit to the body a lot trying to counter spence with check hooks too.

co8IgsE9.gif

ODU6NKSQ.gif

spence is going play into some of his strengths. but so is garcia. its never so cut and dry.

He did a great job of scout that right hook although it wasn't coming together until the middle rounds. He would duck under but didn't add the counter till after Brook slowed down a bit. Good stuff. Personally I don't think he takes any Ls with the current crop of 147lbs maybe at 154 because his size won't be as much of a factor and there are some savages at that weight. :whew:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

co8IgsE9.gif

ODU6NKSQ.gif

Brook's corner failed him. When Spence made a couple of minor adjustments they had no answer for them. Brook on several occasions feinted Spence out of position & landed a good shot. Why he didn't feint more is beyond me.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
There's no point in splitting hairs over the first 3-4 rounds. Apparently, the only way to look impressive in a world championship fight to you is to outright dominate from the opening bell. God forbids the champion across the ring from you takes longer than 3-4 rounds to figure out.

And why are you still bringing up Marcos? And what advantage did he have over Broner? Are you saying Spence loses against anybody with pop? Cause Marcos isn't fast, has issues taking it to the gut, lacks defense, orthodox stance, same height, same reach etc. Broner made one mistake and that's dropping both hands to defend a hook that looked like a jab to the pit. Other than that, chalk that L up to Broner just simply getting out worked by Marcos. If you're out here selling this notion that power trumps all in the sport of boxing, then there's really nothing to discuss with you. Cause that's seriously the only "advantage" Marcos had over Broner.
timestamped

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
timestamped

Appreciate the video and timestamp. But it's still a false equivalency. Chino campaigned at 135 and 140 like Broner....GGG has never campaigned at 147 like Spence. Chino was never considered the best at 147 or the division's hardest puncher....GGG just had a streak of 20 knock outs broken. It just sounds like buddy trying to give Broner extra credit for getting his ass whooped.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Appreciate the video and timestamp. But it's still a false equivalency. Chino campaigned at 135 and 140 like Broner....GGG has never campaigned at 147 like Spence. Chino was never considered the best at 147 or the division's hardest puncher....GGG just had a streak of 20 knock outs broken. It just sounds like buddy trying to give Broner extra credit for getting his ass whooped.
You're missing the point breh,i'm saying if Spence made the mistakes that allowed him to get hit in the face by lead rights,often (like brook hit him with) by a bigger stronger puncher,he'd probably got stopped or badly hurt.
Didnt have to be ggg,could be lemeuix, etc.
We cant give a pass to blatant strategy/skill mishaps,just cause his body held up to the blows.

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're missing the point breh,i'm saying if Spence made the mistakes that allowed him to get hit in the face by lead rights,often (like brook hit him with) by a bigger stronger puncher,he'd probably got stopped or badly hurt.
Didnt have to be ggg,could be lemeuix, etc.
We cant give a pass to blatant strategy/skill mishaps,just cause his body held up to the blows.

It's boxing, bro. Everybody gets hit. Part of the deal is whether or not you can take it. I'm sure if a "bigger" puncher would've hit Floyd like Shane did, he would've lost too. Don't take away credit for him having a beard that can support his seek and destroy style. He was willing to take the price of getting hit by Brook to achieve his goal. He'll never be a back foot counter puncher. That's part of the deal you get with a fighter like him. Especially fighting the best counter puncher in the division. Nobody else in that division will be able to counter him like Brook did and he really only had 4 total rounds of success doing it before getting broke down.