You ever wonder why NYC never got behind ASAP they way they do these new mediocre acts?

Finesse

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Gotham
Im from New York myself and I just dont get it. I can understand thinking they are weird or corny or different or watever. But from a quality standpoint this shyt is like night and day. And shoot, Young Thug is weird, Tory Lanez is corny so is Drake, but the music still slaps, and the people still fukk with em.

The way the city riding behind these new dudes you would think they Nas reincarnated. When NONE of these nikkas got a song better than Peso. Besides a couple offshoots like Young Ma, and a couple local underground dudes here and there. NY nikkas care about everything BUT the music when it comes to our artist.

What hood he from? What gang he in? Did he sell drugs? Can he still come to the block! blaaaaaaah.

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
when rocky came out he was a internet hype beast heartthrob, not on the streets from what I remember. This dude wasn't getting bumped in the club much( pre album) or played in the hood.

He was never really representative of Harlem, so people couldn't empathisize with him/them

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
Because he was sounding like Southern Cats before it became cool/acceptable for New Yorkers to do that.... He kinda found his own lane and balance but his music kind of weak now

Now they like, fukk it. We just want to get on so they support shyt like Desiigner and Young MA....

I think Dave East is nice of the up and comers but I don't see alot of love for him either :manny:

Finesse

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Gotham
Didn't NYers CRITICIZE ASAP when he first dropped cause they said he was too heavily influenced by Houston hip-hop?

Or was that just on here....:patrice:

Nah thats not it. The reason why people aint fukk with him is cause he is a "weirdo"

Is Bobby Shmurda not a offshoot of Drill? Is Desiigner not future's kid? But low and behold they got praised by the city, brought out at the barclays at Tidal concerts, shmoney danced by beyonce.

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
Because he was sounding like Southern Cats before it became cool/acceptable for New Yorkers to do that.... He kinda found his own lane and balance but his music kind of weak now

Now they like, fukk it. We just want to get on so they support shyt like Desiigner and Young MA....

I think Dave East is nice of the up and comers but I don't see alot of love for him either :manny:

this is the answer...at the time, NY was still searching for their boom bap savior...now they'll just take what they can get...

TheIsleofMan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Asap got love, just couldn't sustain it. Very similar to most acts in other regions (especially big cities). Get hot, taper off and someone else comes up. I remember when Wiz was all the rage, he's got his own lane now but it isn't the same. And it's pretty hard to compare NYC to other places, I just don't see why people on here do it so much.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Im from New York myself and I just dont get it. I can understand thinking they are weird or corny or different or watever. But from a quality standpoint this shyt is like night and day. And shoot, Young Thug is weird, Tory Lanez is corny so is Drake, but the music still slaps, and the people still fukk with em.

The way the city riding behind these new dudes you would think they Nas reincarnated. When NONE of these nikkas got a song better than Peso. Besides a couple offshoots like Young Ma, and a couple local underground dudes here and there. NY nikkas care about everything BUT the music when it comes to our artist.

What hood he from? What gang he in? Did he sell drugs? Can he still come to the block! blaaaaaaah.

the simple truth. Then you add in the fact that NONE of them have a project close to Live.Love.ASAP (or ever will), and NY starts to look super funny in the light.

Cause rocky is a plant. Nobody had heard of dude until it came out that somebody signed him to a 5 mill bonus(:duck:). He had no local buzz so usually if u have no local buzz the people in your city never gonna fully imbrace u

aka "Rocky didn't release a ton of incredibly subpar mixtapes that pandered to our NY insecurities and weak taste so we can hypebeast him to success."

:russ: at people still calling Rocky a plant, when he's one of the very few rappers in several years whose music actually spoke for himself. No cosigns. A plant is someone with cosign-dependent, safe music.

Also, can we get a definite answer on whether Rocky had local buzz or not? it seems like The Coli flip flops on this issue. Some say Live.Love.ASAP was embraced in NY and had the streets/burbs on fire, some say it didn't. Which is it? :hula:
Regardless, Live.Love.ASAP :umad:

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
Asap rocky came out of nowhere and was championed by cac hipster publications and catapulted to stardom, no grassroots anything, he just became a star overnight..

Even with that considered, most young people in ny embraced asap.. it was a few older people that said he sounded like he was from the south but they were the vast minority. Everybody isnt going to like something, thats life. Instead of accepting that u rocky stans have held onto the fact that a few nikkas didnt like him and blame NY as a whole for rocky not becoming a huge platinum selling rapper when the reality is he has no one to blame but himself for rocking dresses and regressing musically.

A Boogie and Don Q are the ones that most young people are fukking with now and its strictly about the music, no one cares if they were in a gang or did any dirt, good music is good music. Theyre being embraced just like Rocky was, and the ball is in their hands for them to either carry it or drop it like Rocky did:mjpls:

Last edited: