You ever wonder why NYC never got behind ASAP they way they do these new mediocre acts?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
organic? :russ:

This is what I'm talking about. To y'all, organic equals "release shytty music for years that no one but your immediate crew/block listens to. Do this until you get a major cosign from Jay-Z/Bey/Dre whoever."

But "plant" is "release one song on tumblr and let it go viral, and once that song shows real interest in your music/aesthetic, you sign a deal and release non-cosign dependent music."

shyt is weird to me. Young MA and Bobby didn't have the streets on fire until the right-on-time cosigns started pouring in.
Your last paragraph is just wrong

LieutenantDan

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Asap rocky came out of nowhere and was championed by cac hipster publications and catapulted to stardom, no grassroots anything, he just became a star overnight..

Even with that considered, most young people in ny embraced asap.. it was a few older people that said he sounded like he was from the south but they were the vast minority. Everybody isnt going to like something, thats life. Instead of accepting that u rocky stans have held onto the fact that a few nikkas didnt like him and blame NY as a whole for rocky not becoming a huge platinum selling rapper when the reality is he has no one to blame but himself for rocking dresses and regressing musically.

A Boogie and Don Q are the ones that most young people are fukking with now and its strictly about the music, no one cares if they were in a gang or did any dirt, good music is good music. Theyre being embraced just like Rocky was, and the ball is in their hands for them to either carry it or drop it like Rocky did:mjpls:

Also ASAP Rocky is lazy and doesn't put in the work on top of the fact his last album was trash

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Why do you insist on talking about what's buzzing in the streets of NY from Canada?

A lot of you Canadians and Americans living in Canada love talking about what's popping in the States. It's funny to me.

why do you insist on stalking me? Mad that a Canadian has better taste in NYC rap than you do :mjlol:

Have fun being ignored :salute:

when was the last time you are in Brooklyn ?

you fukking morons :laff:

I gotta put you on ignore, too. Low-IQ time wasters :snoop:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Why do you insist on talking about what's buzzing in the streets of NY from Canada?

A lot of you Canadians and Americans living in Canada love talking about what's popping in the States. It's funny to me.
I'm like the only American living in Canada and I haven't posted in this thread.
Next time put names on it.
New York isn't that far, breh.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
why do you insist on stalking me? Mad that a Canadian has better taste in NYC rap than you do :mjlol:

Have fun being ignored :salute:

you fukking morons :laff:

I gotta put you on ignore, too. Low-IQ time wasters :snoop:
:dahell: who is stalking you

This dude is weird? :laff:

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
To be fair, rocky was really the finished article straight out of the box when he came out, so didn't need any local buzz. He already had the artset, internet hipsters on his nuts, and industry All over him.

Edub

Veteran
Daps
ASAP ferg gets love tho:francis:.....all that "pretty thug, I show white girls maaad love/heroine/lean addict" feel got lost on nikkas. Imo, once ASAP got hot he and his team tried too hard to capture that crossover audience that still like hip hip.....that fader complex white hip hop crowd. The hood is where the heart is....ASAP left too quick thinkin "im famous" :mjgrin:(London to be exact)....while ferg stayed block relevant.....plus the long hair fashion model shyt ain't capturing ya everyday street nikka:mjlol:

Peso was the shyt....but maybe if yam wasn't always intoxicated the marketing of ASAP as an artist could've been better:manny:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I'm like the only American living in Canada and I haven't posted in this thread.
Next time put names on it.
New York isn't that far, breh.
No you aren't the only American living in Canada there's several others. I'm not referring to you specifically just Canadians in general who love to talk about what's going down in the States.

Last edited:

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
To be fair, rocky was really the finished article straight out of the box when he came out, so didn't need any local buzz. He already had the artset, internet hipsters on his nuts, and industry All over him.

the industry wasn't all over him like that. The nikka has a song called "Brand New Guy" dedicated to industry nikkas that were sleeping/didn't want him to eat.

Drake was the only dude that recognized Rocky was something special. then Angie did an interview. I think that's about it.

It's very telling of the NY rap industry that they didn't embrace Rocky like that. Or maybe they did but Rocky fukked up. I dunno. :yeshrug: I thought they would've forced him to keep his sound (don't water it down), but ask him to step up the lyricism. He had everything else. He had the beats, the voice, the style, etc.

But then the debut album comes out and it's watered down :snoop:

ASAP ferg gets love tho:francis:.....all that "pretty thug, I show white girls maaad love/heroine/lean addict" feel got lost on nikkas. Imo, once ASAP got hot he and his team tried too hard to capture that crossover audience that still like hip hip.....that fader complex white hip hop crowd. The hood is where the heart is....ASAP left too quick thinkin "im famous" :mjgrin:(London to be exact)....while ferg stayed block relevant.....plus the long hair fashion model shyt ain't capturing ya everyday street nikka:mjlol:

Peso was the shyt....but maybe if yam wasn't always intoxicated the marketing of ASAP as an artist could've been better:manny:

Again, we need to establish once and for all who and who wasn't fukking with Live.Love.ASAP because y'all flip flop when it gets convenient.

From what I saw, London embraced Live.Love.ASAP quick. I remember thinking: 'wow, this dude is already performing in London based off a mixtape?' this was just after Live.Love.ASAP. Most NY forum posters were still rambling about "he tryin to be Souf, he aint NY."

If London gave him that early love (which matters a lot to an artist), I can't really blame dude.

And the joke is, Ferg is type :trash: