A big NBA money crunch is coming

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They were screwed because worse players got big contracts.

Exactly. This isn't the players association's fault.
Players association could have opted for cap smoothing because this was pretty predictable

It also would have stopped GS from stacking with KD

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Players want security though

I'm sure every player wants a max deal too, but if it isn't on the table :yeshrug:

I'm not saying don't give anyone a long-term contract, but you gotta make smart investments. Seems like once many of these GMs get cap space, they feel like they HAVE to spend all of it, even if it means giving out reckless deals

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
that wouldn't have stopped bad GMs from being bad GMs.

The problem isn't the players getting the contracts, its bad GMs. You gotta blame them.
Well there would have been less money to spend. I’m not really looking to blame anyone, we could have avoided the Warriors team stacking though, which probably would have been nice for the league

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Nothing was wrong with taking all their money instantly, its the smart play.
As for free agents, its the market some years are btter than others, but it is never the player's onus to make sure GMs and owners spend smartly.
Period.
This article makes no labor nor economic sense.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Lots of clowns on the coli told me that giving guys like mozgov 16 mil or Chandler Parsons 25 mil wouldn't have long term implications

:mjlol:

This is one of the reasons why i didn't like jimmy butler trade for Minny

They could have had about 50 mil in cap space before resigning wiggins/lavine if they dumped Rubio and Deng and used cap holds

Towns+Wiggins+lavine+Dunn+Dennis Smith or markannen plus 50 mil in a market where nobody has cap space
:what:

That Minny hypothetical is dumb af:laff:

Coli posters that think every team should blow it up and win with cheap contracts are annoying

Guile

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The Warriors will dominate until 2020 it looks like.

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Teams should've did with Ainge did with Amir Johnson, or what Colangelo did with J.J. Redikk. Give them their money for 1 year or 2 years with a team option, not give them long-term contracts.

Those 2nd round picks and two-way roster spots are going to be more valuable than ever. Every team could use a contributor at the minimum for 3-4 years

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Need to go back and quote all those “its a good deal now that the market has changed” posts

Ofc they set it up so KD goes to GS, they added 36 million dollars to the cap that offseason, (a max player)

Now they setting it up for the Lakers to stack the team full of cheap, reliable pieces.

Next offseason we land the big one
I was arguing the whole time that I would rather a team do like Philly this season and sign guys to big one year deals instead of handing out long contracts. GMs were so desperate to look like they were doing something and not striking out that they were handing out big money to undeserving players. Sometimes you got to take the one year hit and wait a year or two after other teams are financially strapped. But GMs have to worry about job security so it's understood why they'd do it.

As much shyt as I give Ainge I love what he's done with the Celtics in regards to avoiding horrible contracts.