Basquiat's 'Untitled' Painting Sells For $110 Million, The Most Ever Paid For An American Artwork

BrokePhiBroke

Superstar
Daps
So now it's whatever I think?

Damn you're a coward. :mjlol:

I cornered you with logic and you bailed before the final blow.

I'm done.
:what:

I'm still waiting on you to tell me what I lied about?

What exactly did you corner me on? :pachaha: You've been acting illogical since the first post and you've already shown me what you believe my initial post was about.

At this point in conversation what am I proving to you? Everything I wrote was self explanatory and I didn't beat around the bush about a thing.

Enjoy your award :martin:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The ingenuity part is a little hard for me to digest from a painter's standpoint, but I guess I would have to know what you meant by ingenuity. The artwork itself, not so much, the way he got on, definitely.

To me, he was obviously aware of his place as a Black man in the art world and though not some technical genius, he knew how to play off his persona with themes in his art that worked in a subversive manner for the White people consuming it. I just don't buy the "a child could have done" characterization of his work when the symbols/themes he used, even if crudely done, were intentional given who he knew his audience was.

The best analogy I could come up with is 2Pac pumping out 10000s of songs he'd spend very little time on but knew what to address even in the most non-lyrical and crude manner. Sure he could have pulled a Nas or Common but it worked because 2Pac knew how to leverage his persona in the same manner.

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
facts..cuz every successful black man needs a white Savior..:mjgrin:
homie went from eating Cheetos for dinner..to wearing Armani suits..but we cant give him credit :snoop:
This why people throw the term coli militant around here because of statements like this, He was connected with Andy Warhol, Basquiat was doing smack and fukking white women, if he were alive today, you'd be calling him a c00n. His success is due to the fact that white critics were hyping him up, it's that simple. The shyt goes on today, How many Black entertainers are world renown and didn't have some white hype machine behind them making sure they got a piece of the action as well. He died at 27, yet white people are the ones getting those 100s of millions of dollars from his paintings, no one in his family is.

This isn't about a white saviour, this is about white people seeing an opportunity to make as much money off of a Black man, dead or alive without really having to do anything.

If you work for a company that isn't Black owned, then the person cutting your checks is white. You can be the best worker with a 100k annual salary and that white man can still decide that he doesn't need or want you.

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
To me, he was obviously aware of his place as a Black man in the art world and though not some technical genius, he knew how to play off his persona with themes in his art that worked in a subversive manner for the White people consuming it. I just don't buy the "a child could have done" characterization of his work when the symbols/themes he used, even if crudely done, were intentional given who he knew his audience was.

The best analogy I could come up with is 2Pac pumping out 10000s of songs he'd spend very little time on but knew what to address even in the most non-lyrical and crude manner. Sure he could have pulled a Nas or Common but it worked because 2Pac knew how to leverage his persona in the same manner.
That's very good point because he was addressing police violence, racism all that in his work. He just used a primitive style of painting to do so. Very smart on his part because it was easier to digest because even though it was crude, it was still nuanced.

Faneto4

Banned
Daps
This why people throw the term coli militant around here because of statements like this, He was connected with Andy Warhol, Basquiat was doing smack and fukking white women, if he were alive today, you'd be calling him a c00n. His success is due to the fact that white critics were hyping him up, it's that simple. The shyt goes on today, How many Black entertainers are world renown and didn't have some white hype machine behind them making sure they got a piece of the action as well. He died at 27, yet white people are the ones getting those 100s of millions of dollars from his paintings, no one in his family is.

This isn't about a white saviour, this is about white people seeing an opportunity to make as much money off of a Black man, dead or alive without really having to do anything.

If you work for a company that isn't Black owned, then the person cutting your checks is white. You can be the best worker with a 100k annual salary and that white man can still decide that he doesn't need or want you.
i don't care for your opinion at all :mjlol:
i already ignored you when u came in here with ur pretentious comments about wat school u went to ..or where ur old ass worked...like anyone gave a fukk .....keep it moving :camby:have a great weekend

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
i don't care for your opinion at all :mjlol:
i already ignored you when u came in here with ur pretentious comments about wat school u went to ..or where ur old ass worked...like anyone gave a fukk .....keep it moving :camby:have a great weekend
You sound mad as hell and insecure, So you're mad because I'm educated, I also worked for Hallmark Cards, the leading greeting card maker in the world.....
I'm not as old as you are bitter.....:mjgrin:

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
You still mad though...be better, not bitter. This is the internet fam, don't take this shyt to heart. I'll never meet you in real life so you don't have to be mad at me because I went to college or studied art. It's not that serious.:francis:

Faneto4

Banned
Daps
You still mad though...be better, not bitter. This is the internet fam, don't take this shyt to heart. I'll never meet you in real life so you don't have to be mad at me because I went to college or studied art. It's not that serious.:francis:
again u can keep it moving

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Jean-Michel-Basquiat-Mecca-4-6m-4.47m.jpg

Fam this shyt got me weak:mjlol::pachaha::dead:
Nikkas can't tell me they wasn't drawing sky scrapers in 3rd grade like this. Son didn't even bother to make straight lines :dead:

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
again u can keep it moving
Bruh, I don't need your permission but if it makes you feel better about yourself, I'll take my degrees and keep pushing....By the way, I have 12 hours of Graduate Studies in Leadership and Communication if that makes you feel any better. So you are probably best served to just put me on your ignore list because you're feeling some type of way about me that isn't really necessary or warranted. :mjgrin:

Faneto4

Banned
Daps
Bruh, I don't need your permission but if it makes you feel better about yourself, I'll take my degrees and keep pushing....By the way, I have 12 hours of Graduate Studies in Leadership and Communication if that makes you feel any better. So you are probably best served to just put me on your ignore list because you're feeling some type of way about me that isn't really necessary or warranted. :mjgrin:
i don't feel a type of way breh..im currently in school atm...u know the place where u get mistaken for a parent..or creepy teacher :umad:...i got my whole life ahead of me :blessed:...so keep it moving no need to sit here and argue with a youngin...im also a artist :ehh: its either u got it or u don't...i don't care wat school u went to ...or wat crackers employed u ...i wouldn't look at u different or any less talented :yeshrug:....don't tell me wats warranted either
u came at me disrespectful with dat "coli militant shyt now.... playing a victim...i keep it real 25/8...foh :rudy: ..u step on a man toes ...don't be surprised how he react..i promise u i am not the one.

Last edited: