Basquiat's 'Untitled' Painting Sells For $110 Million, The Most Ever Paid For An American Artwork

JLova

Veteran
Daps
Basquiat, Lichtenstein, Warhol, herring, I fukk with all of them. They have influenced a lot of artists.

I'd you look at contemporary art today more importantly urban art, their influence is evident.

If I was wealthy I'd create my own gallery in my crib with artwork.

Last edited:

GoldCoastSaint

Yall nikkas hate everything but Tariq Nasheed
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
The buyer was Yusaku Maezawa, a Japanese billionaire. The winning bid was taken on the phone by Yuki Terase, who oversees Japanese business development for Sotheby’s in Hong Kong, against the dealer Nicholas Maclean, who was hunched over in the room on the phone with a buyer.

Yusaku Maezawa
VIA SOTHERBY'S

I don't think Ive ever seen a Japanese with facial hair beside brows, lashes, and bangs.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Exactly. Dude was a homeless drug addict and no one gave him bread. Now he's dead everyone wants to act as if he's the God of the canvas.

The reality is his paintings are only valuable because he's dead. The art community is a sadistic group of people.

He was rich before dying :gucci:

Anything you read/watch about Basquiat they all say he went from living on the streets (really, not a metaphor) to being extremely rich in just a couple years.

This is the second thread about Basquiat these couple of past months and I really believe most Coli posters have no idea who he was and how he lived. He was extremely famous (and rich) before dying, was bieng exposed in major art exhibitions in Europe, and he was no fool as he understood how the art game worked.

I have no idea why breh is so hated on the Coli. He was a black breh that pimped the system by doing what he loved, and y'all hate him :snoop:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music

Anything you read/watch about Basquiat they all say he went from living on the streets (really, not a metaphor) to being extremely rich in just a couple years.

This is the second thread about Basquiat these couple of past months and I really believe most Coli posters have no idea who he was and how he lived. He was extremely famous (and rich) before dying, was bieng exposed in major art exhibitions in Europe, and he was no fool as he understood how the art game worked.

I have no idea why breh is so hated on the Coli. He was a black breh that pimped the system by doing what he loved, and y'all hate him :snoop:
He was famous for like 2-3 years or something before he died. The VAST majority of his life he lived in abandoned buildings in NY. Im VERY familiar with Basqiuat. Stop assuming people don't know shyt because they don't agree with the general cac narrative.

Just because your cac overseers share an opinion doesn't mean you have to follow it. I understand Basquiat is a highly regarded artist in the art world, but i personally feel his art is highly overrated.

And thats the beauty of an opinion. Everyone is allowed to have their own. Keep your sweeping condescending statements about the Coli to yourself because someone's OPINION doesn't jive with yours or the general narrative.

Daps

Admittedly, I don't know much about him. Like the dude you quoted, I was thinking his work wasn't recognized until he died. Thanks for the info.

Daps
You have 6 posts in this thread over the course of 11 pages beginning on Page 4 at 2:41 in the morning.

And you were literally just on the last page comparing one of his works to a 3rd grader and criticizing it for not having straight lines.

You done yet? You gone answer the question?
:jbhmm:
You do realize art is an investment vehicle, it doesn't sell high because it's actually good. it's commoditized like gold that's intrinsically worthless. ballers use it to park their assets in non taxable vehicular structures.

One

Moreese Bickham with the pistol
Daps
You do realize art is an investment vehicle, it doesn't sell high because it's actually good. it's commoditized like gold that's intrinsically worthless. ballers use it to park their assets in non taxable vehicular structures.
I didn't say any of this were untrue, I was arguing with a goofy ass troll. What was just said can pretty much be said for anything that costs $110 million dollars. If we're going the nihilist route then EVERYTHING is commoditized, it's not some brilliant discovery, it's rudimentary capitalism. Dominique Ansel doesn't sell the best tasting donuts in New York City either, but he can still sell them for 10 times the average .79 donut.

Daps
I didn't say any of this were untrue, I was arguing with a goofy ass troll. What was just said can pretty much be said for anything that costs $110 million dollars. If we're going the nihilist route then EVERYTHING is commoditized, it's not some brilliant discovery, it's rudimentary capitalism. Dominique Ansel doesn't sell the best tasting donuts in New York City either, but he can still sell them for 10 times the average .79 donut.
If you acknowledge his and every other artwork isn't noterized because of their objective quality why act like that one posters artwork is of worse form?

All that warhog, basqueef, pistachio artwork looks like shyt. If you think otherwise you're exposing yourself as a lame dikkrider

One

Moreese Bickham with the pistol
Daps
If you acknowledge his and every other artwork isn't noterized because of their objective quality why act like that one posters artwork is of worse form?

All that warhog, basqueef, pistachio artwork looks like shyt. If you think otherwise you're exposing yourself as a lame dikkrider
See this is exactly the same circle I went in with the last runt. Lets say people listen to you and nobody buys art that you declare "looks like shyt". Then what? What benefit has it provided you? What changes? Nothing. I have no clue why so many of you guys are so damn furious about this.