Breaking: US accuses South Africa of shipping arms to Russia

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
They really trying to revive this Africa as a proxy battlefield for US/Russia beef huh :beli:

From the Financial Times:

The US has accused South Africa of supplying arms to Russia, escalating a foreign policy crisis for President Cyril Ramaphosa’s government over the country’s ties to the Kremlin and its position on the war in Ukraine.

Reuben Brigety, the US ambassador to South Africa, told local media on Thursday that the Washington believed weapons were loaded on to a sanctioned Russian vessel in December.

“The arming of the Russians is extremely serious, and we do not consider this issue to be resolved,” he said in comments reported by South Africa’s News24.

The rand plummeted to 19.2 to the dollar on the reports, its weakest level since April 2020.

The US embassy and South Africa’s foreign ministry did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
diplomatic-immunity.gif

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
I don't get the South Africa connect to Russia. One of the strangest "alliances" to me.
They trained them and “supported” the ANC during apartheid. A lot of high ranking members of their military were trained at the Kremlin version of command and general staff college and other schools.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Thanks for the education.
It was a more of a silent proxy war. US and Israel didn’t out front support but they did. Israel even provided rifles that their military still uses. Want to say they assisted them with their nuclear program but I’m not 100% on that.