Brehs, do you think that your skin tone has affected your dating life?

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
:jbhmm:

Many people see colorism as a huge problem in the black community. But we usually only hear about it from black women's perspective. So I thought I thought I'd ask the brehs this time.

Where do you fall on the range from Manute Bol to Steph Curry? How do you feel about your skin tone? And, most importantly, how do you think it has affected your love life?

I'm darkskinned/brownskinned. I have to say both because living in hot ass Miami has given me a CRAZY farmer's tan, and I have dark acne scars:beli:Face/forearm/calf-wise Im dark brown, about the same skin tone as Puff Daddy, but my torso/thighs are the same tone as young Mike Tyson. I never got clowned for my skin growing up, but last March I was in the Turks & Caicos for my bro's wedding and when I went to the beach and took my shirt off my female cousin said "Boy, why are you 6 different skin tones:gucci:" I thought it was hilarious, cuz I'd never noticed it and it was hella funny. I don't mind my farmer's tan, I love the way my skin looks in the sunlight, but I want to get rid of these scars:beli: Anyways, nah, I've never looked at a chick and wondered "Does she like my skin tone?" It does not compute. Mainly because I see dark dudes with all type of ladies. And I mean, the prototypical man we all hear is "tall, dark and handsome" I'm 5'11 and a half barefoot, and possess broad shoulders & a cute smile. What about you brehs?
My face is more like a Chris Bosh type skin tone (see spoiler) if we're using famous NBA players to compare. But when i take off my shirt and people look at my upper arms and chest i may be a few shades lighter. Mostly due to my ancestry.
MV5BOGU2NTIwZWYtOWYwYS00ZDRjLTkxYjAtMDk0YWMwY2I0ZWFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI5NjIyMw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,665,1000_AL_.jpg

I'm haitian (born and raised) but there are mulattos on both sides of my family;
  • Dark chocolate African mixed with white on my mom's side.
  • Dark chocolate African mixed with Indian (as in Bangladeshi) on my dad's side
But overall i took my dad's complexion. I've had women make comments bout my complexion but mostly just poking fun. THis cute black american chick i liked and used to work with in Miami used to refer to me as "milk dud". I had to google that shyt to figure out what she was talking about. When i lived in Costa-Rica, my ex Costa-Rican girlfriend used to make fun of me for my upper arms being different shade and part of it being damn near light like her.

But overall ive never had issues where people would make negative comments about my skintone. I know some women may prefer darker skin men and some may prefer lighter skin men. You dont always know why someone isnt interested in you. We're all allowed to have our preferences. I like dark skin women myself but that doesnt keep me from dating light skin chicks and latinas. And when i say dark im talking DARK. Put it this way the girls that i dated that i loved their skin tones the most would all make that darkskin actress everyone is raving about ( Lupita something) look just barely dark. One was Ugandan. The other was Guyanese. THe 3rd was Haitian.

ThaEruditious

She luv it over here like Gold Watch.
Daps
Reppin
Nashville/Augusta

Refer to this thread: Not sure if this is an L or not...

My homeboy, PNC in there, definitely gets all the looks, being that he's light-complected. I don't really care for too much attention like that, but ever since I moved down here colorism has been blatantly apparent. I swear these forums are tainting me, but I've flat-out heard people mention that they want their kids to have "good hair". It might be a concentrated issue though, i've only been here 2 1/2 months.

Weaver31

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Va
I'm dark brown skinned and I notice women tend to think brown and dark skinned men have to or should act a certain type of way.

MaxPain

Hispaniola Exchange Student
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where It’s Not Safe
Not dark enough to roast & not light skinned enough that people think I'm sensitive and bytch-made

:ahh:

But I think brehs of all shades are eating pretty well.

Some chicks love the light Skin pretty boy nikkas & other chicks love that dark shyt

Everybody can eat :myman:
The brown skinned life:ahh: