Chicago and Los Angeles will start pilot universal basic income programs

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Chicago and Los Angeles will launch universal basic income pilot programs, with applications opening tomorrow.

Los Angeles will pay $1000 to 3200 families every month, while Chicago will send $500 to 5000 families. The programs will cost $40 million and $31.5 million, respectively, according to FOX Business reporter Grady Trimble.

Applicants for the Chicago program will be chosen at random but must earn less than $35,000 a year to qualify.

Mayors Eric Garcetti and Lori Lightfoot have hailed the programs as the necessary step to "lift" people out of poverty, but critics have targeted the programs as an example of policies that disincentivize work amid a labor shortage.

"There are still millions of low-skilled jobs out there, and you have small business owners who can’t find workers to join their companies," said Michael Faulkender, who served as an assistant treasury secretary for economic policy during the Trump administration.

The first such program started in Stockton, California, with monthly stipends to 125 residents in 2019, The Washington Post reported.

Then-Mayor Michael Tubbs noted that most recipients spent at least a third of the stipends on food.

Around 40 other cities have considered plans to launch UBI programs, including Denver, Newark, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and New Orleans, according to Mayors for a Guaranteed Income.

Saint Paul, Minnesota, approved a basic-income pilot program last year, and Oakland, California, is accepting applications for its own program, Business Insider reported.

Mayors plan to use some of the coronavirus stimulus package funds to make the payments in the pilot programs, but some critics believe that will create a false sense of the program’s possible success.

Instead, critics argue that the only way to expand the program or pay for it past 2024 would be to increase taxes on city residents.

The payments will continue for a year, at which point the cities will assess the success and determine next steps for the program.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Population of Los Angeles

3.67 million

“Pilot” program includes

3200 families

:unimpressed:

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
On another note

Micheal Tubbs a real black man tho.

UPSTANDING YOUNG BREH, EXCEPTIONAL :salute:

Had the pleasure of speaking with him while in college, dude is miles ahead of everyone. Best politician I have ever seen hands down.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Min wage in California high as fukk and every place is hiring. fukking embarrassing. How about put that $40 million towards universal buildings for homeless or better parks/equipment in lower income neighborhoods. They say they do this already but i never see no improvements

Im an 80s crack baby adopted, got a million health issues and grew up in a horrible neighborhood. Aint no excuse, mafukkas just lazy.

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
Min wage in California high as fukk and every place is hiring. fukking embarrassing. How about put that $40 million towards universal buildings for homeless or better parks/equipment in lower income neighborhoods. They say they do this already but i never see no improvements

Im an 80s crack baby adopted, got a million health issues and grew up in a horrible neighborhood. Aint no excuse, mafukkas just lazy.
It shows:usure: If you really believe in this dumb ass bootstrap nonsense, especially as a person who supposedly went through so much, you have issues :manny:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
It shows:usure: If you really believe in this dumb ass bootstrap nonsense, especially as a person who supposedly went through so much, you have issues :manny:
My adopted dad was a UPS loader, my mom a secretary we aint ever have money for extra shyt but we made it work and it made me wanna hustle harder

my first job at 15 was jack in the box min wage was $6.25/hr :ufdup: min wage in most places in cali is $14-17 / hr now :martin: mafukkas just lazy

both me and my brother are successful and i was wearing hand me downs for most of my growing life :manny: aint no excuses

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
My adopted dad was a UPS loader, my mom a secretary we aint ever have money for extra shyt but we made it work and it made me wanna hustle harder

my first job at 15 was jack in the box min wage was $6.25/hr :ufdup: min wage in most places in cali is $14-17 / hr now :martin: mafukkas just lazy

both me and my brother are successful and i was wearing hand me downs for most of my growing life :manny: aint no excuses
Cmon man, you don’t even understand how lucky you were to even be adopted into a working class family as a crack baby, that provided you with a basic foundation to even struggle :dwillhuh:

there’s children who never get adopted away from crack mothers or general fukked up for different reasons parents who money like this would help:beli:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
ADOS families I hope
Working families I hope
Citizen families I hope

:hmm:
Mandate payoff

Last edited:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Cmon man, you don’t even understand how lucky you were to even be adopted into a working class family as a crack baby, that provided you with a basic foundation to even struggle :dwillhuh:

there’s children who never get adopted away from crack mothers or general fukked up for different reasons parents who money like this would help:beli:
Is this going to those kids? Cause it aint

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies

That 6$ is pretty much equal to 14$ now you gotta accept what inflation is