Confused about college and if it's worth the loans?

Hope

God's Grace
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I ended up choosing a Private for-profit school in the hood because it's easy, close to home, and close to work. I skimmed through a book claiming those types of colleges are the worst choices financially, but at the same time, the book was created in 2012 or so, so much has changed, and they focused on Business and STEM shyt (not interested in either). What exactly is wrong with for profit private colleges?

Recently, I've been thinking if I had more time to make a decision and was more comfortable with myself, I would have chosen a different school. I could get into any school I want with my intelligence and GPA at previous schools, but I'm homeless, couch surfing, and family thinks my lifestyle is getting old. I don't have the time and money to get fancy with school.

I know quite a few people with Master's Degrees who have never been steadily employed since earning the degree. One is a crazy, nut case, secretary. One sells shyt on the street. I know a person with two degrees and a medical licence and he's only been employed once in the past 6 years, and he held that job for less than a year.Not big on faith, trying to figure out how to plan it out correctly? Any suggestions?

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I was an admissions advisor for a major university for about 4 years. I was pretty familiar with every college at one point.

If it's for-profit ...run the other way.

The exception would be certain art schools (if that's your thing) but the rest are diploma mills and an anchor for life long debt

If it's not regionally accredited and non-profit at minimum, you're wasting your time

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not big on faith, trying to figure out how to plan it out correctly? Any suggestions?
what do you want to do? im 25 and got some bullshyt ass degree in business, i paid it off but i dont really have any goals :yeshrug:

look around for the local CC, do two years there for cheap and see where it takes you. transfer somewhere fresh if that works out. try to find like a call center job in the meantime that can get you at least like 12 an hour

shyt would have to fall into place nicely, but thats all doable :ehh:

posterchild336

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IF op not going into school to study in the Law, Medical, or Engineering fields than mostly like his degree won't be worth the debt or the time spent.

oh yeah..law and medical put you in over 200k worth of debt off jump.....people with college degrees make much more over a lifetime than a college grad if they have a job...facts

Hope

God's Grace
Daps
Reppin
NYC
what do you want to do? im 25 and got some bullshyt ass degree in business, i paid it off but i dont really have any goals :yeshrug:

I want to earn a Master's in Public Health, but first I have to complete this Bachelor's (my school offers both). But I can transfer to a CUNY with a better reputation and cheaper, I'll just lose out on credits and things will take longer. My goal is to get my CASAC. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up (I'm 30 today), but that combo gives me room for a lot of opportunities in careers that will grow next ten years.

I want to become a counselor, either with Mentally ill, Drug Addicts, or HIV patients. And somehow move up to a program manager or administrator to earn real money.

Not interested in anything law or business related.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I want to earn a Master's in Public Health, but first I have to complete this Bachelor's (my school offers both). But I can transfer to a CUNY with a better reputation and cheaper, I'll just lose out on credits and things will take longer. My goal is to get my CASAC. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up (I'm 30 today), but that combo gives me room for a lot of opportunities in careers that will grow next ten years.

I want to become a counselor, either with Mentally ill, Drug Addicts, or HIV patients.

well shyt there u go breh. people arent knocking down the doors for that job, you should be able to find one pretty easy. good benefits too i think

idk sounds like a couple years of school and you got it :ehh:

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
Op the people who you know who aren't doing well with a degree probably have some things going on in the background that you don't know about, so don't look to them as examples.

Are school loans worth it? Yeah if you do it smartly. Take community college courses for two years then transfer to a state school for the rest for your four year degree. Much cheaper and on a counselor's salary, which is usually low, you'll be able to pull it off. If you want to be a counselor or a program manager, take psych courses, some social work, and healthcare admin where available to you. There's no way to make it in healthcare without a degree. People who "make it" in other fields without any education usually run start ups with family money. If you don't have that, a degree is priceless. Just don't go to the most expensive schools. Shop around. Also, nonprofit mental health groups or facilities can offer you financial aid. Look for a job with one and you can probably apply for aid. There's a program out there now that will cancel all your loans if you work for a nonprofit for ten years or something, IF you get fed loans. I'm not sure if you can get fed loans for for-profit schools.

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps

I want to become a counselor, either with Mentally ill, Drug Addicts, or HIV patients. And somehow move up to a program manager or administrator to earn real money.

Not interested in anything law or business related.
Breh if you 30 you been grown.
Have u looked into learning a trade?
U can go to a community college, tech school or specialty school and make a relatively good living in way less time than it would take u to go through college