Confused about college and if it's worth the loans?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I ended up choosing a Private for-profit school in the hood because it's easy, close to home, and close to work. I skimmed through a book claiming those types of colleges are the worst choices financially, but at the same time, the book was created in 2012 or so, so much has changed, and they focused on Business and STEM shyt (not interested in either). What exactly is wrong with for profit private colleges?

Recently, I've been thinking if I had more time to make a decision and was more comfortable with myself, I would have chosen a different school. I could get into any school I want with my intelligence and GPA at previous schools, but I'm homeless, couch surfing, and family thinks my lifestyle is getting old. I don't have the time and money to get fancy with school.

I know quite a few people with Master's Degrees who have never been steadily employed since earning the degree. One is a crazy, nut case, secretary. One sells shyt on the street. I know a person with two degrees and a medical licence and he's only been employed once in the past 6 years, and he held that job for less than a year.Not big on faith, trying to figure out how to plan it out correctly? Any suggestions?

What school were you gonna go to. Many of these for profit schools are straight bullshyt and ITpp employers view those degrees as garbage.

I went to a state college for IT and if I could do it all over again I would have skipped college altogether and just focused on getting my certifications.

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
Little brother don't make assumptions and insult people you don't know. I respect you as a poster so I'll fill in some holes for you. I had my own business. When I got a job I took a pay cut to stay in the field I want to pursue. Your dad is successful and wants you to be more successful than him so I'm sure you're in school. Finish it and be fearless fam.

Labor means hard physical work. I'm a cook so I work with hands and my work is hard. There are labors of love. And I work hard at what I do because I love it. The only reason I got a job was to finish school and clear 70k plus a year as a cook before the age of 32. I'm on track.

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
The overwhelming majority of ANYONE benefiting from college degrees are whites, and even a shyt ton of them are sitting on degrees and debt they can barely pay for. Meanwhile you have blacks graduating with superior credentials to a lot of whites, and won't even get their feet in any doors. If you're black, most don't give a shyt if you have a degree or not, you're still gonna end up having to beg the white man for a job. Meanwhile if you pick up a skilled trade or some shyt, you can sell services and not have to beg anyone for work.
You're still "begging" work from clients though, and you have to sell ourself and make a name to do well

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
Oh yeah op, wanted to say that if you wanted to go the mental health route, a degree in social work will get you more money than psych or counseling and it's more transferable. Plus if you have experience it's invaluable. Men in that field are really needed.

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
You're still "begging" work from clients though, and you have to sell ourself and make a name to do well
I wouldn't exactly put it like that. Of course at first you have to "beg" for work from clients, and yes you have to make a name for yourself, this would go with any sort of service that ever existed, but of course when you do a good job, word goes around, and you'll always find work. Your work speaks for itself once you've built you reputation. It's called being self motivated. Once you're established yourself you're good. It's definitely not the same thing as having to suit up and show up with a resume and hope that someone hires you, and then once you're hired, having to worry about how any day could be your last for various reasons. When you work a trade, who the fukk is gonna fire you?

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
It's definitely a grind. I've had a job and my own business. Having a job is much simpler and there's more security. I think everyone has to sell their self and put respect on their name in all professional settings. Thing is customers are more loyal than companies. My clients still contact me after months years of not working with me. None of my former employers or so called work friends contact me. I've had the same number since 2003.

posterchild336

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I did a little bit of college. I should have finished my degree, it's one of my two regrets. I believe it's true that college grads will make more money than me. My friends who graduated make more money than me now and are on track in life. They have advanced degrees from top universities though, so they earned it.

But they envy my lifestyle because I've been doing what I love my whole adult life and am further in my field of choice than they are. Most of them got jobs to pay their bills. I took a pay cut to pick up more skills so I can further my career.

I couldn't imagine living life to pay bills and go on vacation. That's not living family. I would never sign a contract that says I have to have a job for a set amount of time. I also can produce things that can be sold around the world. I have a lot of skills. I'm not well trained in one field. There isn't a university producing hundreds of people a semester that can do what I do.

I take a lot pride in being highly skilled. Yeah, I'll be a laborer my whole life, but I love what I do enough to take a 50% cut in pay. I can't name one of my friends who graduated that would do that.

As long as you are truly happy that is what counts... you can be a pre-school teacher making 20k if it's not the money but quality of life that's what really counts.. I have 2 masters degrees and haven't stepped in an office for 2 years and I enjoy my quality of life... glad you are doing what you enjoy, most people cannot find that satisfaction in their jobs.

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
It's definitely a grind. I've had a job and my own business. Having a job is much simpler and there's more security. I think everyone has to sell their self and put respect on their name in all professional settings. Thing is customers are more loyal than companies. My clients still contact me after months years of not working with me. None of my former employers or so called work friends contact me. I've had the same number since 2003.
Exactly. My boss runs his own company, but we have to suck up to clients all the time- it's called marketing and customer service and it's good for business. The customer is always right and the customer is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you gotta make it known to them that you feel that way. They suck it up and throw their money at you.

So yeah we always have to kiss someones ass. Just depends if you work in a field where being your own boss is applicable or possible for you. Nothing wrong with working for a company. Most people do.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I want to earn a Master's in Public Health, but first I have to complete this Bachelor's (my school offers both). But I can transfer to a CUNY with a better reputation and cheaper, I'll just lose out on credits and things will take longer. My goal is to get my CASAC. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up (I'm 30 today), but that combo gives me room for a lot of opportunities in careers that will grow next ten years.

I want to become a counselor, either with Mentally ill, Drug Addicts, or HIV patients. And somehow move up to a program manager or administrator to earn real money.

Not interested in anything law or business related.
U in NYC going to a for profit school :dahell:

CUNY is one of the best public school systems in the country breh. It's a no brainer. Make it work. Those for profit schools are the devil