Confused about college and if it's worth the loans?

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
its hard to say if its worth it. you can be a success without college but it really did teach me how to really think critically and how to learn and process new information, plus all the social benefits and such. I will tell you make sure you do an internship so you have experience before you're done because its extremely hard to get hired with no experience even with a degree

The5thLetter

Meow
Supporter
Daps
It has a better reputation and resources than those schools tho. Gotta ask more questions, just did some research, calling the CASAC/OASAS, and some of the CUNY's this week.
I went to CUNY for undergrad and grad and the quality of education for the price (abt 2500/semester f/t) is unbeatable. I was going for my casac-t but switched to something else, but I can answer questions if u need specifics

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I know for-profit colleges are basically corporations ( many of which have stock on the index), but they are just as bad as those predatory loan companies. I can't think of one good thing about them.

If you take a semester at one, the entire environment is toxic. The "professors" have no credentials, the admissions, testing and grading standards don't exist and the degrees are expensive and are never taken seriously by an employer worth their salt.

They load their students up with debt knowing that they are neither academically prepared or properly credentialed to enter the work force. And to top it off you can't transfer the credits to ANY regionally accredited college program to get a 4 year degree and no grad or professional degree program will touch it if you decide to go to the next level.

Basically you're paying 50k+ for a piece of paper that can't do anything for you but simply exist :mindblown:

It's nothing more than the "pet rock " of the academic world.

Facts. One of my boys Matthew went to Devry college in LIC. I'm telling him
:mindblown:Laguardia Community college is right across the street. Save the money and go to them.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I went to CUNY for undergrad and grad and the quality of education for the price (abt 2500/semester f/t) is unbeatable. I was going for my casac-t but switched to something else, but I can answer questions if u need specifics

Which graduate school if you mind me asking? What it happen to be Baruch college?

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
:dwillhuh: When did I Shyt on trades?

What I am shytting on, is your attack on college degrees. Statistically they provide great benefits for graduates. When it comes to OP ,CUNY's they're extremely cheap. His degree is worth it.
The overwhelming majority of ANYONE benefiting from college degrees are whites, and even a shyt ton of them are sitting on degrees and debt they can barely pay for. Meanwhile you have blacks graduating with superior credentials to a lot of whites, and won't even get their feet in any doors. If you're black, most don't give a shyt if you have a degree or not, you're still gonna end up having to beg the white man for a job. Meanwhile if you pick up a skilled trade or some shyt, you can sell services and not have to beg anyone for work.

Hope

God's Grace
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Thanks for suggestions. I'll sleep over it, and be patient. I mean sometimes I have to accept things and just do the best with what I have. My college worked out well for my cousin, though I have doubts because he gave me a short, diplomatic response that would have easily come out of their brochure. My other friend said it's a waste of time and money, I love him, but know he's lazy, antisocial, and has no guidance. I can see how it wouldn't work out for him.

At the same time, I truly felt me and the financial aid counselor had a real connection person to person, and there is no way she would have let me sign those papers.She knew my situation, without getting into details. This may be one of the good for profits. No other school would have given me enough of my transfer credits, because of it's location and getting the degree faster, it may be what's best. Still not sure, but I'm 30 and homeless, trying to get moving.

I'm fit into various minority groups, I can easily get grants and scholarships outside of Fafsa and TAP.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Facts. One of my boys Matthew went to Devry college in LIC. I'm telling him
:mindblown:Laguardia Community college is right across the street. Save the money and go to them.
It makes absolutely no sense in any stretch of the imagination. As an admissions officer/advisor in NYC, it just use to drive me insane to see applications with "Devry", "Full Sail" etc...they're not admittable ANYWHERE lol. The inflated GPA from there won't get you into any school...and the credits don't transfer anywhere...just a double and triple negative.

Last edited:

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
oh yeah..law and medical put you in over 200k worth of debt off jump.....people with college degrees make much more over a lifetime than a college grad if they have a job...facts
I did a little bit of college. I should have finished my degree, it's one of my two regrets. I believe it's true that college grads will make more money than me. My friends who graduated make more money than me now and are on track in life. They have advanced degrees from top universities though, so they earned it.

But they envy my lifestyle because I've been doing what I love my whole adult life and am further in my field of choice than they are. Most of them got jobs to pay their bills. I took a pay cut to pick up more skills so I can further my career.

I couldn't imagine living life to pay bills and go on vacation. That's not living family. I would never sign a contract that says I have to have a job for a set amount of time. I also can produce things that can be sold around the world. I have a lot of skills. I'm not well trained in one field. There isn't a university producing hundreds of people a semester that can do what I do.

I take a lot pride in being highly skilled. Yeah, I'll be a laborer my whole life, but I love what I do enough to take a 50% cut in pay. I can't name one of my friends who graduated that would do that.

Last edited:

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
I want to earn a Master's in Public Health, but first I have to complete this Bachelor's (my school offers both). But I can transfer to a CUNY with a better reputation and cheaper, I'll just lose out on credits and things will take longer. My goal is to get my CASAC. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up (I'm 30 today), but that combo gives me room for a lot of opportunities in careers that will grow next ten years.

I want to become a counselor, either with Mentally ill, Drug Addicts, or HIV patients. And somehow move up to a program manager or administrator to earn real money.

Not interested in anything law or business related.
Take out the loans. It's worth it. You have a ten year plan. You have the will. You're running out of time. And the only thing you're missing are the resources to execute your plan. You'll get a job in your field and since you're motivated you will succeed. I believe you'll succeed even if you stay at the school you're at as long as you're learning what's required to do your job. Most people suck at what they do and they're just collecting a check.

My best advice is don't do what you don't like and don't be one of these idiots coasting through life with no plan. That's some sucka shyt. Straight up.

Edit: this thread should be stickied. This is the most honest and correct advice I've read about college online. In my life, if I would have had the contributing posters as resource I'd probably have a few degrees by now. Lol hopefully ya'll will support me with my culinary program. I haven't been to real school in six years and the college system gives me a lot of anxiety and I usually just drop my classes.

Last edited:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I did a little bit of college. I should have finished my degree, it's one of my two regrets. I believe it's true that college grads will make more money than me. My friends who graduated make more money than me now and are on track in life. They have advanced degrees from top universities though, so they earned it.

But they envy my lifestyle because I've been doing what I love my whole adult life and am further in my field of choice than they are. Most of them got jobs to pay their bills. I took a pay cut to pick up more skills so I can further my career.

I couldn't imagine living life to pay bills and go on vacation. That's not living family. I would never sign a contract that says I have to have a job for a set amount of time. I also can produce things that can be sold around the world. I have a lot of skills. I'm not well trained in one field. There isn't a university producing hundreds of people a semester that can do what I do.

I take a lot pride in being highly skilled. Yeah, I'll be a laborer my whole life, but I love what I do enough to take a 50% cut in pay. I can't name one of my friends who graduated who would do that.

Read in between the lines they're are about to lay you off

El negrito de tejas

Fukk the govt I got my own Deficit
Daps
Reppin
The country of myself
I'd advise you against going to college unless you really know what you want to do.

I know 2 people who didnt go to college and got trades instead and their both doing fiancially better than me and younger as well.

1 is my cousin who is certIfied in HVAC and the other is my neighbor across the street from my old neighborhood who is a certified mechanic and does renovations of apartment complexes with his uncle contracted.

They both get paid bank while Im 55k in student loan debt with companies bulking at the idea of even paying me $18/hr in job interviews

I say get a trade then pay for a degree out of pocket