Confused about college and if it's worth the loans?

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
fukk all that, go somewhere that will teach you a trade or give you certification that will land you a job off rip. College is a major rip off. If it ain't shyt like medical, construction, transportation/trucking, manufacturing, barber/cosmo, heavy equipment, culinary or anything like that you're playing yourself

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I ended up choosing a Private for-profit school in the hood because it's easy, close to home, and close to work. I skimmed through a book claiming those types of colleges are the worst choices financially, but at the same time, the book was created in 2012 or so, so much has changed, and they focused on Business and STEM shyt (not interested in either). What exactly is wrong with for profit private colleges?

Recently, I've been thinking if I had more time to make a decision and was more comfortable with myself, I would have chosen a different school. I could get into any school I want with my intelligence and GPA at previous schools, but I'm homeless, couch surfing, and family thinks my lifestyle is getting old. I don't have the time and money to get fancy with school.

I know quite a few people with Master's Degrees who have never been steadily employed since earning the degree. One is a crazy, nut case, secretary. One sells shyt on the street. I know a person with two degrees and a medical licence and he's only been employed once in the past 6 years, and he held that job for less than a year.Not big on faith, trying to figure out how to plan it out correctly? Any suggestions?

Please don't go to a for profit school. They're nothing but trouble. Try to find a university that offers online classes. For profit schools are the lowest of the lowest when it comes to college education and reputation. There's not one good one. Seriously reconsider this decision. Anything is better.

Suggestions
1) Community college
2) Online not-for profit schools
3) local city or state colleges.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
I want to earn a Master's in Public Health, but first I have to complete this Bachelor's (my school offers both). But I can transfer to a CUNY with a better reputation and cheaper, I'll just lose out on credits and things will take longer. My goal is to get my CASAC. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up (I'm 30 today), but that combo gives me room for a lot of opportunities in careers that will grow next ten years.

I want to become a counselor, either with Mentally ill, Drug Addicts, or HIV patients. And somehow move up to a program manager or administrator to earn real money.

Not interested in anything law or business related.

Go to CUNY then. Every one is 6k a year. I'm a New Yorker to fam. I have great insight about the CUNY's.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
fukk all that, go somewhere that will teach you a trade or give you certification that will land you a job off rip. College is a major rip off. If it ain't shyt like medical, construction, transportation/trucking, manufacturing, barber/cosmo, heavy equipment, culinary or anything like that you're playing yourself

^^ Ignore this OP. If you're going to CUNY, you should be straight.

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
^^ Ignore this OP. If you're going to CUNY, you should be straight.
So we're shytting on trades now? :heh: With trades, you not only have guaranteed work, but also the option to be your own boss.

Dude told you himself that he knows ppl with degrees who can't find steady work....but hey, I guess he can go ahead and ignore what I said and go after that degree in some field that will probably end up oversaturated and already outsourcing work by the time he graduates, so then he'll be stuck trying to find work while now being in college debt. Or manage to land a job but constantly be a pink slip away from being downsized. Either or :heh:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Please don't go to a for profit school. They're nothing but trouble. Try to find a university that offers online classes. For profit schools are the lowest of the lowest when it comes to college education and reputation. There's not one good one. Seriously reconsider this decision. Anything is better.

Suggestions
1) Community college
2) Online not-for profit schools
3) local city or state colleges.

I know for-profit colleges are basically corporations ( many of which have stock on the index), but they are just as bad as those predatory loan companies. I can't think of one good thing about them.

If you take a semester at one, the entire environment is toxic. The "professors" have no credentials, the admissions, testing and grading standards don't exist and the degrees are expensive and are never taken seriously by an employer worth their salt.

They load their students up with debt knowing that they are neither academically prepared or properly credentialed to enter the work force. And to top it off you can't transfer the credits to ANY regionally accredited college program to get a 4 year degree and no grad or professional degree program will touch it if you decide to go to the next level.

Basically you're paying 50k+ for a piece of paper that can't do anything for you but simply exist :mindblown:

It's nothing more than the "pet rock " of the academic world.

Kasper KArr

Go-getter from the Lower East Side
Daps
Op...I have to study for an exam and will check this later..but just wanted to post to remind myself

If you need any specific advice regarding CUNY, let me know. I will be more than happy to help you out. If you want my credentials...

i went to a private institution for a year but dropped out because I thought it "wasn't for me". Then, I found myself in the streets and didn't wanna live that life anymore. So went back to school...

I went to a community college (4.0), transferred to a 4 year school (4.0), and I will be attending Stanford University starting this July.

You have alot to consider. I mentioned my credentials not to brag, but rather to let you know I have experience with both sides (private vs cheaper schools) in terms of cost and in terms of the educational experience. I am in biosciences and medicine and to be frank, I wished I would of went to a better known school. I felt like I was too smart for CUNY and wasn't intellectually challenged, and now that I am going to Stanford, where my peers are all Ivy League educated, I know I have to work even harder.

Anyways, at the end of the day I recommend going to CC, then transferring to a CUNY four year. Especially for mental health work, working with HIV patients, etc, CUNY has alot of connections and you can do it.

But ultimately it doesn't matter where you end up truly...what matters in my opinion is the work YOU put in. Plan it out man, and execute. I am here to help you out in any way!

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
So we're shytting on trades now? :heh: With trades, you not only have guaranteed work, but also the option to be your own boss.

Dude told you himself that he knows ppl with degrees who can't find steady work....but hey, I guess he can go ahead and ignore what I said and go after that degree in some field that will probably end up oversaturated and already outsourcing work by the time he graduates, so then he'll be stuck trying to find work while now being in college debt. Or manage to land a job but constantly be a pink slip away from being downsized. Either or :heh:

:dwillhuh: When did I Shyt on trades?

What I am shytting on, is your attack on college degrees. Statistically they provide great benefits for graduates. When it comes to OP ,CUNY's are extremely cheap. His degree is worth it.

Last edited:

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
They got colleges in the hood? :deadmanny:

:heh:You know most HBCU's and some good colleges are in the hood right?

Howard university is across from Shaw projects.

Deleware state is in Dover DE.

Fordham university is in Fordham road ( think big pun and fat joe hood)

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
:heh:You know most HBCU's and some good colleges are in the hood right?

Howard university is across from Shaw projects.

Deleware state is in Dover DE.

Fordham university is in Fordham road ( think big pun and fat joe hood)
I thought schools were close to the hood, not literally in the hood. Like maybe a few blocks or something.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
I thought schools were close to the hood, not literally in the hood. Like maybe a few blocks or something.

It's usually 50-50.

For example Queens college is literally across the street from Pomonok projects. Usually these schools have great security.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Naw fukk college...unless you're trying to do some shyt that absolutely require it

Learn some marketable skills and learn how to turn it into a business or use them to get a job....and create products and services and get referrals from clients