Does Jay-Z have a top 10 hip-hop song of all time?

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Nope.

But just like people pointing up how he was never the hottest, sold the most, didn't do or have this at this specific time, Jay's strenght is being well rounded, long lived and consistantly having one of the top tier spots on some level.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Why is the jay hate so 1 sided. Nggas love the underdog…as if they can answer this. Nothing worse than a hypocrite

Does Nas? Does Scarface? Does Andre 3000? Does Big?

If you say Juicy, how about the fact that that missippi ngga dropeod essentially a reference track to Juicy :skip:

Hathaway

Someday, We'll All Be Free
Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
No but top 10 all time means 99% aren’t making the list lol

Fight the power
CREAM
Straight outta Compton
Shook ones pt2
Juicy
The message
Rappers delight
Children’s story
Paid in full
Dear mama
Nothing but a g thing
Planet rock
Troy
Gin and juice
Stan
Lose yourself
Brenda’s got a baby

Off top based off of importance and impact to rap. Idk Hov may not make top 25. The essential Jay song maybe Izzo or hard knock life but compared to others it doesn’t come close

I’m sure there’s a lot more that could make it. But whatever the 10 is I don’t think the list is changing anytime soon
This is actually a pretty good comprehensive list:ehh:

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Why is the jay hate so 1 sided. Nggas love the underdog…as if they can answer this. Nothing worse than a hypocrite

Does Nas? Does Scarface? Does Andre 3000? Does Big?

If you say Juicy, how about the fact that that missippi ngga dropeod essentially a reference track to Juicy :skip:

Ny State Of Mind, or Memory Lane could be in a Top 10 for Nas

Sorry Ms Jackson for Outkast.

Mind Playin Tricks On Me- Geto Boys

Juicy is undoutedbly a top 10 track, but last comment where is the reference track?

Sire366

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Phila
To me, the two Jay tracks I’d nominate for consideration is hard knock life and where I’m from

There not in my top 10, but those would be, based on what I think is criteria of this, his songs that would be on there

Budda

Superstar
Daps
My top 10 list would be something like

1. The Message - Grandmaster Flash
2. Paid In Full- Eric B and Rakim
3. Memory Lane- Nas
4. Juicy- Biggie Smalls
5. Dear Mama- Tupac Shakur
6. Shook Ones Pt2 - Mobb Deep
7. Today Was A Good Day- Ice Cube
8. Nuthin But A G Thang- Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg
9. Money Trees- Kendrick Lamar ft Jay Rock
10. Bone Thugz N Harmony- 1st Day Of The Month

• Haha
Reactions: No1

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Ny State Of Mind, or Memory Lane could be in a Top 10 for Nas

Sorry Ms Jackson for Outkast.

Mind Playin Tricks On Me- Geto Boys

Juicy is undoutedbly a top 10 track, but last comment where is the reference track?
Memory lane is def not a top 10 track :ufdup: See yall tellin on yourself. A personal favorite, somwwhat indie track from Nas can be top 10 ever but not one from jay

You listing great songs but it’s TOP TEN EVER. You could NOT list them and no one would bat an eye. Someone above listed like 15 songs all of them have an argument

As far as Juicy…

:mjgrin:

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
1. Sharing an era doesn’t negate impact and importance

2. How is it bias? What’s crazy is my mom and pops were teenagers during most of the list era but we can feel the impact of them songs til this day

So cream and shook ones pt 2 shouldn’t share top spots as two of the greatest rap songs of all time cause they were made in the same era? Lol I swear I gotta stop posting here cause that makes no sense

1. True, but you're making a top ten list of all hip hop you need to include all hip hop, when you have 2 songs from the same region/era with a similar sound you need to pick one otherwise the list is just 10 great songs. What you did is like making a list of 10 most important movies and putting 4 silent films on the list, while they might deserve to be there, they can't be for the list to have integrity.

2. Too many 90s artists, nyc/west coast bias (for context I'm from nyc and Jay should be on the list)

Shook ones is an excellent song but cream stands as a representative of the Wu-Tang era so it should take the spot.

People really putting lose yourself as a top ten of all time song?
Definitely would put Stan way before that song.

I agree it should be Stan but I feel like if you put Em you open the door for Kanye and Drake to be in the conversation.

Surreal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Message
Sucka MCs
Paid In Full
My Philosophy
Mind Playin Tricks
Express Yourself
Say It Was A Good Day
Gin And Juice
Shook Ones
Made U Look

The true and definitive list

Braman

Superstar
Daps
No but top 10 all time means 99% aren’t making the list lol

Fight the power
CREAM
Straight outta Compton

Shook ones pt2
Juicy
The message
Rappers delight

Children’s story
Paid in full
Dear mama
Nothing but a g thing

Planet rock
Troy
Gin and juice
Stan
Lose yourself
Brenda’s got a baby

Off top based off of importance and impact to rap. Idk Hov may not make top 25. The essential Jay song maybe Izzo or hard knock life but compared to others it doesn’t come close

I’m sure there’s a lot more that could make it. But whatever the 10 is I don’t think the list is changing anytime soon
That’s a great list @ bolded.

And there is no Nas. I included Biggie even tho that song has since been proven a forgery :skip:

Half of, if not 75% of any essential top 10 list MUST include foundational songs from rappers/groups we no longer even consider anymore. So that’s leaves very little room for modern rappers.

To pinpoint jay of all people shows this site’s bias and foolishness.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
1. True, but you're making a top ten list of all hip hop you need to include all hip hop, when you have 2 songs from the same region/era with a similar sound you need to pick one otherwise the list is just 10 great songs. What you did is like making a list of 10 most important movies and putting 4 silent films on the list, while they might deserve to be there, they can't be for the list to have integrity.

2. Too many 90s artists, nyc/west coast bias (for context I'm from nyc and Jay should be on the list)

Shook ones is an excellent song but cream stands as a representative of the Wu-Tang era so it should take the spot.

I agree it should be Stan but I feel like if you put Em you open the door for Kanye and Drake to be in the conversation.

I’m from the south and the first southern song that should be considered is minds playing tricks on me.

NYC is raps birthplace and contains more artists than some states population. It’s basic numbers that they’ll produce songs that shaped and had the most impact on rap.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
People really putting lose yourself as a top ten of all time song?
Definitely would put Stan way before that song.
Pretty pathetic. We spent all them years talkin bout ‘man forget record sales…they don’t represent the culture…etc’, yet here we are a site full of allegedly black men making our OWN list yet completely unprovoked nggas feel thr need to add Eminem.