Does Jay-Z have a top 10 hip-hop song of all time?

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You know what @Chip Skylark I take it back, it's really hard to make the list without an overrepresentation of nyc artists, I think hip hop needs to shift to a top 25 because of the number of artists. Same with the nba top 10 goat debate, who do you take out in order to fit in someone like Curry or Durant there's never going to be enough space after having to give respect to older generations. Knowing that I tried to put together a broader list that take sound and era into account, for example none of these lists had a female mc, there should be at least one to account for women in hip hop. And I still couldn't do it, it's impossible:russ:

are you trolling?:what:

Man I can’t even think of what’s the most important female rap record song.. lol

It’s just too much music

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This Is Random But God, Change Clothes Was A Horrible Song

I never liked the song either. It felt like something that would've been a soundtrack song not the lead single from the last album of a legend. "PSA", "Encore" and even "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" feel like swan songs literally. I even liked "99 Problems", but fell out of love with it as time passed.

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
No but top 10 all time means 99% aren’t making the list lol

Fight the power
CREAM
Straight outta Compton
Shook ones pt2
Juicy
The message
Rappers delight
Children’s story
Paid in full
Dear mama
Nothing but a g thing
Planet rock
Troy
Gin and juice
Stan
Lose yourself
Brenda’s got a baby
Mass appeal

Off top based off of importance and impact to rap. Idk Hov may not make top 25. The essential Jay song maybe Izzo or hard knock life but compared to others it doesn’t come close

Nas doesn’t make it but I think NY State of mind is top 25

I’m sure there’s a lot more that could make it. But whatever the 10 is I don’t think the list is changing anytime soon

That's....that's a good list. Damn

Solo_87

All Star
Daps
Hard Knock Life?

For the 2000s

Song Cry. Moderate hit. Sampled heavily. Timeless

N*E*R*D

In Search Of...
Daps
OP @N*E*R*D

Are you saying Eminem's songs have a better chance that can be a top 10 hip-hop of all time than Jay-Z? I mean like Lose Yourself song?
No I don’t particularly think Eminem has a record strong enough for an all-time top 10 consideration. That being said he probably has a stronger case than Jay-Z with a few of his biggest records.

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
the message
fight the power
nuthin but a g thang
juicy
cream

^those five i think are indisputable

then id do:

shook ones pt 2
TROY
mind playing tricks on me
fukk the police

cant call the last song though

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
Respiration should be on the top 10. That shyt is hip hop to the core.
mos verse on that might be the best verse ive ever heard in my life. just the most beautiful poetic verse

i dont think it has the impact to be in this conversation but i wish i lived in a world where it was

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
This can be asked about any rapper :yawn:

Perhaps probably Dr Dre.

In a general top 10 list Outkast songs like Ms Jackson and Hey Ya have a higher probability of being on the list than any Jay, Nas or Pac song.

CP3.

Mr Solo Dolo
Daps
Nah probably not.

Got one in my favourite top 10 but objectively no.

CP3.

Mr Solo Dolo
Daps
the message
fight the power
nuthin but a g thang
juicy
cream

^those five i think are indisputable

then id do:

shook ones pt 2
TROY
mind playing tricks on me
fukk the police

cant call the last song though

93 Til Infinity gotta be on any top 10 list IMO.

TROY is indisputable too. fukking great track :wow:

I'm a Common stan but I Used To Love Her is better than most of the tracks on the general consensus top 10 too :patrice:

Last edited:

Jasonmask

Superstar
Daps
TROY- Pete rock cl smooth
93’ Till- Souls of mischief
Stay high- 36 mafia
The way I am- Em
Ambitions of a Ridah- Pac
So Appalled-Ye/Hov/Pusha etc
Exhibit A-Jay elec
SpottieOttieDopalicious- Outkast
D’Evils-Hov
Devil in a new dress- Ye/Ross

So I got two

Last edited:

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
All the TROY slander is retarded. PR has become insufferable, but that song is UNDENIABLE.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
I ask this question because most of my favorite Jay-Z records would never make my top 10 hip-hop songs of all time. Can I Live, U Don't Know, PSA, Imaginary Players, Threats, What More Can I Say...none of those records belong next to a Shook One's Pt. 2, Nuthin' But a G Thang, Gin & Juice, Mind Playin' Tricks On Me, T.R.O.Y., etc. They are a tier below or several tiers below. So I ask myself how the hell can you be the goat and not have an undisputed hip-hop record? Jay-Z seems like an album rapper/deep-cuts guy. Yeah, we fan out about joints like Dynasty Intro...but honestly is that a bigger record or intro than Dreams & Nightmares by Meek Mill. Everybody knows the words to that intro even people who don't really like Meek Mill. At the time I was in my own world as a Jay-Z fan growing up and loving a lot of his stuff. Being older and looking back really gives you a different perspective.
To me, DP1 qualifies