Enter The Dragon: Wrestle Kingdom 18 (1/4/2024)

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
It’s almost that time and the card is set. We’re back to one night.

• SANADA (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP World Heavyweight championship

• Kazuchika Okada vs. Bryan Danielson

• Will Ospreay vs. Jon Moxley vs. David Finlay for the new IWGP Global Heavyweight title

• Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. El Desperado for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight championship

• Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for the NJPW World Television title

• Shingo Takagi (c) vs. Tama Tonga for the NEVER Openweight championship

• Clark Connors & Drilla Moloney (c) vs. TJP & Francesco Akira for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team titles

• IWGP Tag Team Champions Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI vs. NJPW Strong Openweight Tag Team Champions Hikuleo & El Phantasmo in a Winner-takes-all Tag Team title match:

• Yuya Uemura vs. Yota Tsuji

• Kaito Kiyomiya & Shota Umino vs. Ren Narita & EVIL

• New Japan Rambo - final four advance to New Year’s Dash!! for KOPW 2024 belt

Start Time
USA and Canada (ET)Thursday, January 42:30 a.m ET
USA and Canada (PT)Wednesday, January 311:30 p.m. PT
UK and IrelandThursday, January 47:30 a.m. GMT
AustraliaThursday, January 46:30 p.m. AEDT
JapanThursday, January 44:30 p.m. JST

Last edited:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I don't follow Japan but why do they have 2 world titles?
Japanese wrestling has always made a distinction between heavyweights and junior heavyweights (much smaller wrestlers). Even though for the most successful promotions, the heavyweight division has always been the main attraction, with that belt being the World Title that's treated as the biggest price in the company.

Junior Heavyweights have had varying degrees of success and attention throughout the decades but their champion is always treated as "inferior" (for lack of a better term) than the heavyweight.

In the last 15 years there's been an effort from smaller promotions to be less strict about the division between both weights. With companies like Dragon Gate and DDT finding impressive success with more of an "openweight" approach, that's more similar to what we've seen in the U.S. for a long time.

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
@Jmare007 I know about the Jr Heavyweight Title. I was talking about the Global Championship. My bad. They have a World Champion AND Global Champion? The fukk?

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
@Jmare007 I know about the Jr Heavyweight Title. I was talking about the Global Championship. My bad. They have a World Champion AND Global Champion? The fukk?
They are renaming the US/UK Title. I guess they didn't want to bring back the Intercontinental belt and just named it "Global". It's probably gonna be the belt that's defended outside of Japan so gaijin or touring native wrestlers can take other bookings.

Suffice to say, no one thinks it's a good idea.

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
when the hell did the get ANOTHER set of tag titles? [strong openweight]