Golovkin Promoter: Not Enough Money For Andre Ward

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One of the more talked about matches in boxing is Gennady Golovkin (33-0, 30KOs) vs. Andre Ward (27-0, 14KOs).

Golovkin holds the WBA/IBO middleweight titles, and Ward is the WBA's super champion at 168-pounds. Both boxers have been dominating their respective divisions and fans are clamoring to see the two of them collide.

Golovkin's promoter, Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, likes the idea of facing Ward - but also feels there is not enough money in the fight, as of this moment, to make it happen in the near future.

Ward has been inactive since November 2013. He makes his return on June 20th against Paul Smith - at a catch-weight of 172-pounds.

According to Loeffler, the biggest issue with making a fight with Ward is the money. Both boxers are requesting hefty sums to make the fight, which automatically makes it far too expensive for HBO to purchase. It forces both sides to a pay-per-view platform. Loeffler sees the potentially match as a big financial risk on PPV, because neither fighter has headlined a pay-per-view event.

"Andre is a great boxer. He's got his comeback fight now. He's been out of the ring for a while and the economics just don't add up now. Gennady has said that he would move out of the middleweight division - if it's a big fight. Andre is certainly a great champion, it's just the chemistry is not there yet for a pay-per-view fight. It's nothing against Andre or Gennady, it's just neither one of them has been on pay-per-view," Loeffler said.

"You can't force a fight to happen. Andre will want a lot of money and Gennady will want a lot of money, and the only way it can happen is on pay-per-view."

http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-promoter-not-enough-money-andre-ward--91174

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Why would it have to be on PPV?:mjpls:

Just an excuse they're using to overprice themselves out of the fight:yeshrug:

No one with any name recognition should bother with peanut head. I wouldn't acknowledge he existed if I was anywhere from 160-75.

If I couldnt grab a belt at 168 cause he had them all Id skip the division entirely.

Ward is the WOAT opponent, beating him gives you nothing :pachaha:

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
Yet they talking about getting a fighg with Floyd? Biggest baddest dude in boxing is talking about pulling up dude from 147 to 154 so he can get the Mayweather stimulus package yet he won't fight the dude everyone is expecting him to because of the money? Excuse me, I didn't know there was more money in fighting Willie Monroe Jr. then Andre Ward

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
they have to build that demand to make the fight worth it for both boxers... I don't see nothing wrong with that.

If Canelo could sell 300K fighting Erislandy Lara and 350K fighting Alfredo Angulo on PPV, there's no excuse why GGG vs Ward cant go on PPV now.

It's an excuse imo.

No one with any name recognition should bother with peanut head. I wouldn't acknowledge he existed if I was anywhere from 160-75.

If I couldnt grab a belt at 168 cause he had them all Id skip the division entirely.

Ward is the WOAT opponent, beating him gives you nothing :pachaha:

Beating Ward would give you legitimacy

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
If Canelo could sell 300K fighting Erislandy Lara and 350K fighting Alfredo Angulo on PPV, there's no excuse why GGG vs Ward cant go on PPV now.

It's an excuse imo.

Beating Ward would give you legitimacy

No one cares dude. 100% no one cares :russ:

Ward calling out GGG is jus as corny as GGG calling out floyd.

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
How long would it take Andre Ward to unify 168?

I say GGG grabs both of those other 160 belts and after that they get together. Call it the Clash of Titans

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
Yet they talking about getting a fighg with Floyd? Biggest baddest dude in boxing is talking about pulling up dude from 147 to 154 so he can get the Mayweather stimulus package yet he won't fight the dude everyone is expecting him to because of the money? Excuse me, I didn't know there was more money in fighting Willie Monroe Jr. then Andre Ward

good fukking point. sound like this dude scared:manny:

shook boys dont want it with ward...''hes too much for me''....i thought ggg wasnt ducking nobody

Last edited: