I wish the the bullshyt would stop with job interviews

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Is it me or are they only hiring the Black dudes that are feminine or wont speak their minds or look like the cornball type?
They really are only hiring safe non threatening emasculated black men.

I just gave up on working for the man and had to do my own thing after...like yourself...i was sick and tired of going to endless job interviews and not even getting past the interview stage. Even with my extensive resume and 10+ years of work experience.

Weaver31

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Va
Want to go very deep into this after i mow these lawns.

But the formulaic and cookie-cutter-approach to landing a job is quite possibly, albeit not the only, but the easiest way to land a job.

They don't want big picture people who don't think out of the box. If you come off even with an ounce of anything too unorthodox or unconventional... you'll be deemed radical and potentially "untrainable".

For the past couple months, i've been applying for jobs that i believed i was capable of and competent of carrying out. Reality hit me real fast and even though Seattle's economy is strong as shiit and unemployment is lower than a dropped 83 camaro on blad's... it also means its attracting talent from every pool in the planet and competition is as stiff as this morning wood.

Then i realized i would be going against the most robotic and run-of-the-mill candidates every; while perfect for companies... i won't necessarily suit their culture cuz i'm too unusual for their criterium.

With that said... i've decided to go back to my old job as a body shop manager. Yeah, it's a small time gig, but at least i'm working for somebody i know, who's an entrepreneur and not being ass fukked by white corporate america; it's a place where i'm free to do as I usually please and even though i wasn't making more than 50 k per physical year... i was generally a very happy person.

To all the HR people in the world... the fukk you think you know me based on a resume/cv/cover letter?

I'll got a ton of qualities that i can't simply exemplify on paper or even a gawt damned interview. I'm like a chia pet to any company... water me with task and put me around people ---- and watch a mothafukka grow with excellence and lushness of life and character.

All i wanted was a platform to prove that i harness more all around skills and ability to adapt, grow and thrive in any environment.

The city didn't want me. Boeing wanted me to fly my own ass to into bolivia. Amazon didn't consider and suggested I jump off into a jungle and find my own way out.

It's tough out here. Irregardless of how talented you are, what you've experienced and what you've achieved and what you think you can bring to a table, sans the cutlery... if that HR person/team is lazy and don't want to get to know awesome people... you, the applicant... are fukked.

With all the resumes and entries they receive on a daily basis... it's easy to be overlooked.

Word to keenan ivory wayans...

it's a true - low down dirty.

THIS! I agree with all of what u said but in bold....so much truth!

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Everybody has to sell yourself to get a job. But selling yourself is kind of effeminate in and of itself. It's especially demeaning when the cacs on the job think less of you.
Which is why I couldnt do it anymore. Im not selling myself short
Study: Gay Black Men More Likely to Earn a Higher Salary Than Straight Black Men – Financial Juneteenth

they only want fakkits or weak dudes.....u gotta pretend to be docile...seriously....smile, be extra cheerful...I always fail job interviews because I guess Im too masculine...thats why I have no choice but to be self employed......Ive been turn down but hundreds of professional jobs over the last 5 years
Same boat here..

Every job corporate job Ive had i could always tell my coworkers were uncomfortable around me.

I was selling insurance and i was fukking sick of having to tapdance and softshoe just to make money.

I would tell clients my name (a very African name) over the phone and they would basically want nothing to do with me and I barely made any progress. Meanwhile everyone else with white/anglicized names are making progress and getting sales.The stress of a wall street job was too much. I was probably the unhappiest there I had ever been for a job and I thought I made it.

It was then I just had the vision and foresight to go for what I really wanted.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
The generic white guy voice or the soft hyper effeminate gay guy voice? Those two seem to be the most popular ones, I notice nikkas use at their jobs.
I am not able to do this "code switching" thing. Most people tell me I sound white in real life. Buts thats just due to my educational background and upbringing.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I agree. my wife recently had an interview with a university here and she will have a PHd in a couple months (already has bachelors and masters) and despite being overqualified, they wasted her time cuz they already had internal candidates picked out in the first place. :pacspit:
Yeah so its like whats the point? They just doing that so they dont get any discrimination lawsuits and get the prospects hope up.

And i bet those internal candidates were their white frat buddies/sorority sisters/friends and/or family that had a tenth of the qualifications as your wife breh....

Ive seen it happen many times and its infuriating.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:swaggyP:

I gotta soften my shyt and be overly polite. You pretty much have to match the entergy they are putting out. If you don't and you come off as having an aggressive personality or too non-chalant you might as well just forget about it.

Now I'm talking about career jobs with real interview processes and competitive applicants. If you are applying to Walmart then it doesn't matter what you say or do. But if you are interviewing for Cisco you gotta play the game.

Some white people LOVE the idea of a cool black guy that can also keep up and handle the work loads. But you have to remember their definition of cool is a lot different than ours. Their cool black guy is closer to a c00n by Coli standards. Gotta give them what they want if you wanna come up...

You can always go into business for yourself if that's too much to deal with. But that shyt is risky IMO.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Which is why I couldnt do it anymore. Im not selling myself short

Same boat here..

Every job corporate job Ive had i could always tell my coworkers were uncomfortable around me.

I was selling insurance and i was fukking sick of having to tapdance and softshoe just to make money.

I would tell clients my name (a very African name) over the phone and they would basically want nothing to do with me and I barely made any progress. Meanwhile everyone else with white/anglicized names are making progress and getting sales.The stress of a wall street job was too much. I was probably the unhappiest there I had ever been for a job and I thought I made it.

It was then I just had the vision and foresight to go for what I really wanted.
Word....I feel like we have a similar life story bro......

I hate playing the game, I just want to myself and make s loving, but of course...in America that's an unreasonable request. That's asking for too much. So fukk it, IMA take it by way of strong armed robbery lol...I figure if I outwork everybody and master my craft I can be like may weather and say what I want...because my skill level is so high..they can deny me

DrX

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah so its like whats the point? They just doing that so they dont get any discrimination lawsuits and get the prospects hope up.

And i bet those internal candidates were their white frat buddies/sorority sisters/friends and/or family that had a tenth of the qualifications as your wife breh....

Ive seen it happen many times and its infuriating.
True, nepotism is a big thing

I've seen it with my own eyes...

Honestly o would encourage all str8 black men to really pick up as many skills as possible and just master all of them as best as u can...network, promote yourself, stack and invest in creating a business

Because yes these crackers will let u say be of u allow them to

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I work with a fakkit that call every white males he see no matter how young Mr. or sir and won't even acknowledge a black person by their name. A white even noticed that and tried to act like he was just weird instead of admitting the fruit cake was kissing white ass.
Dawg...i was working at pinkberry almost two years ago...i was the only straight black man there in a staff of 6 black women. My manager was this gay black dude that would keep on kissing white peoples asses even when they were rude.

I worked hard as fukk there though....eventually i was doing everything myself....i could of been a manager at that place.

Eventually the staff got replaced with latinos and i was the only black person left on that staff....

Im assuming at that store they just caved in and replaced the staff with white employees at this point. I quit a long time ago cause the pay was garbage and they were the only place that would hire me at the time even with my degrees and resume. When i graduated college the only jobs I could even secure for myself were these bullshyt commission only sales jobs that i could never progress in. And barely made any money. And those were filled with black people. Meanwhile the jobs that had good salaries benefits 401ks etc....barely had any black men on their staffs mostly black women.

Daps
what is this rhetoric that you have to "talk white" or "act gay" :camby:

that's what bitter loser nikkas say. you have to BE SMART and play the game... talk like you have an education; you can do that without "sounding white or gay" you know :sas1:
it's sad that white is being equated with intelligent, articulate and effective communication.

Communication is vital, LOL especially for a MARKETING job! :russ::russ::mjlol:

Like someone else said, highlight how you are an asset (this is business); stop complaining and acting entitled; give to get, and then parlay that into an independent venture for yourself.

but what do I know? :sas2:

yeah the system is rigged, but complaining like some bytches isn't going to change a damn thing but your emotions. think critically and problem solve.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I hope automation will come in and body the economy. Or the next market crash when millions lose their jobs. That's when entrepreneurial mentalities will prevail and end the fake corporate environment.

No wonder people are shooting up the workplace and schools. That fake personality isn't meant for a lifelong thing.

Weaver31

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Va
Oh and another thing...a lot of you bruhs mentioning and suggesting to act effeminate, docile and have that bubbly higher pitched voice.

U better watch out for that...because the recruiter and/or hiring manager may not agree with the gay lifestyle and could be conservative and hate phags just as much as some on this website. So I wouldn't suggest to act like a bubbly sissy but still be friendly, personable and approachable. Don't have a nasty attitude and be abrasive and super aggressive.

DrX

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hope automation will come in and body the economy. Or the next market crash when millions lose their jobs. That's when entrepreneurial mentalities will prevail and end the fake corporate environment.

No wonder people are shooting up the workplace and schools. That fake personality isn't meant for a lifelong thing.
Yeah exactly, corporate life is very unnatural and more ppl are opting out...a lot of ppl don't even care about money