Jordan Peele tells ‘Akira’ producers to ‘Get Out’…

KingsOfKings

𝔻𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕞 𝕄𝕖𝕣𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥
Daps
Two months ago, we reported that Warner Bros. was courting Jordan Peele (director of the sleeper hit, Get Out) to direct the live-action, big screen adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo’s Akira, which has been in development hell for over 5 years. Turns out, Peele, who is a fan of Akira, wants to concentrate on original content.

Here’s what he told BH.com: “I think [I could do it] if the story justifies it,” Peele said. “Akira is one of my favorite movies, and I think obviously the story justifies as big a budget as you can possibly dream of. But the real question for me is: Do I want to do pre-existing material, or do I want to do original content? At the end of the day, I want to do original stuff.”

Instead, Peele is currently developing Lovecraft Country, a new Horror TV project with producer J.J. Abrams for HBO. Based on a novel written by Matt Ruff, the series, which will take places in the 1950s, “reclaims genre storytelling from the African-American perspective.”

In addition to Peele, a handful of directors, including Albert Hughes (The Book of Eli), Jaume Collet-Serra (Run All Night) and Justin Lin (Star Trek Beyond) have been tied to Akira, but exited due to creative differences (or other unexplainable reasons).

One of the last filmmakers connected to Akira was Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight), who was supposedly involved (along with Nolan’s brother, Jonathan, who at one point was hired to re-write the script). Marco J. Ramirez, the scribe who co-showran the second season of Netflix’s Daredevil, was/is also attached as one of the writers. At one point, Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant), Jennifer Davisson Killoran (Orphan) and Andrew Lazar (Jonah Hex) were on board as producers.

As far as actors and actresses, many names such as Keanu Reeves, James Franco, Garrett Hedlund, Robert Pattinson, James McAvoy, Andrew Garfield, Chris Pine, Michael Fassbender, Justin Timerlake, Joaquin Phoenix, Keira Knightley, Kristen Stewart, Ezra Miller, Alden Eherenreich, D.J. Cotrona, Logan Marshal Green, Toby Kebbell, Richard Madden, Rami Malek, Michael Pitt, Paul Dano, Alden Ehrenreich and Ken Watanabe (we’ll stop here) have all been considered for roles. Some have dropped out, others are still loosely attached.

The story of Akira involves a secret military project that endangers Neo-Tokyo when it turns a biker gang member into a rampaging psionic psychopath that only two kids and a group of psionics can stop.

We’ll keep you updated on this story as we hear more.

Jordan Peele tells ‘Akira' producers to 'Get Out'...

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
People might come at me but this nikka got lucky with Get Out and now he has been hyped up to an unbelievable degree. It kind of reminds me of the director that did Chronicles and how he got hyped up but never delivered.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Then why sign on to do it in the first place?
If I'm understanding this right

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
People might come at me but this nikka got lucky with Get Out and now he has been hyped up to an unbelievable degree. It kind of reminds me of the director that did Chronicles and how he got hyped up but never delivered.
I do find it troubling that he's going to create a series based on the shyt Blacks had to go through during Jim Crow. Our elders always have to get put up on that Summer Jam screen. Notice how many shows or movies are not made about the Holocaust? It only referenced, and even then, they make the Nazis charismatically evil. Or they will make evil whites into Vampires or Zombies not natural in order to take the sting out of their evil.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Akiraa isn't a deep story that needs to have a big budget. What a mistake it will be making that a big budget film.

Film should never be made. No one gives a shyt about tokyo unless vin diesal is driving cars through that bytch

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Akiraa isn't a deep story that needs to have a big budget. What a mistake it will be making that a big budget film.

Film should never be made. No one gives a shyt about tokyo unless vin diesal is driving cars through that bytch
The story nah, but the visuals for it would need to be big budget.Everything about Akira was a visual masterpiece at the time. If you cant put forth that environment then it'll definitely fail because the story is wack.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
The story nah, but the visuals for it would need to be big budget.Everything about Akira was a visual masterpiece at the time. If you cant put forth that environment then it'll definitely fail because the story is wack.
It would be a movie that I would watch for visuals but anyone trying to make money and spending what's required to do it justice will have someone shot when that shyt doesn't recoup.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
It would be a movie that I would watch for visuals but anyone trying to make money and spending what's required to do it justice will have someone shot when that shyt doesn't recoup.
True plus the target audience is in their late 20s to early 40s and that demographic could only support the nostalgia of the movie and thats not enough to get asses in seats for a movie that would require a budget that big to make the visuals close to anything that would create that feeling. Short answer is, "We know better". Its just not gonna get made.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I
True plus the target audience is in their late 20s to early 40s and that demographic could only support the nostalgia of the movie and thats not enough to get asses in seats for a movie that would require a budget that big to make the visuals close to anything that would create that feeling. Short answer is, "We know better". Its just not gonna get made.

If peele made that film hed never work in this town again after that flizzop.

It's a trap.