Jordan Peele tells ‘Akira’ producers to ‘Get Out’…

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
I do find it troubling that he's going to create a series based on the shyt Blacks had to go through during Jim Crow. Our elders always have to get put up on that Summer Jam screen. Notice how many shows or movies are not made about the Holocaust? It only referenced, and even then, they make the Nazis charismatically evil. Or they will make evil whites into Vampires or Zombies not natural in order to take the sting out of their evil.

That's the same feeling I'm getting.

We're gonna get a show about Black Men and Women getting that work with the White Overlords in charge being revealed to be controlled by something supernatural or other-worldly.

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
That's the same feeling I'm getting.

We're gonna get a show about Black Men and Women getting that work with the White Overlords in charge being revealed to be controlled by something supernatural or other-worldly.
And that's where I have an issue with the whole premise. He got it 95% right with Get Out, if he had killed off the white girl, he would've got it 100% right. I just see this new series in an exercise in Black trauma, week after week. Unless his intent is to get Blacks to hate white people without hesitation, guilt or remorse.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Read the quote again, I said they only reference it. It's merely a backdrop to a bigger story. What you're probably thinking about are WW2 movies, which they make every year. But there has not been a movie made recently that depicts jews being gassed or burned in ovens or experimented on in some horrific way. If I'm wrong, feel free to provide examples.

:comeon: List of Holocaust films - Wikipedia

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
Good point, but how many of those movies did you know about besides Schindler's list and Inglorious b*stards? And I don't consider Inglorious b*stards a holocaust movie, it was a movie about nazi hunters. So while you came with some good info, the fact that a lot of them are documentaries and the fact they included Inglorious b*stards as a holocaust movie makes me wonder how these other movies "depicted" the holocaust. Because I highly doubt in "holocaust" movie made in 2000's depicts the true atrocities of the holocaust. Now most of those documentaries will show the skinny bodies being dumped in graves, but those movies are always in black and white.

Does this sound like a movie depicting the atrocities of the holocaust?:
Jonathan Safran Foer, (Elijah Wood) a young American Jew, goes on a quest to find the woman, Augustina, sister of Lista (Laryssa Lauret), who saved his grandfather, Safran Foer, during the Holocaust in a small Ukrainian town called Trachimbrod that was wiped off the map when the Nazis liquidated Eastern European shtetls. His guides are a cranky, antisemitic grandfather (Boris Leskin), his deranged Border Collie named Sammy Davis, Jr., Jr., and his over-enthusiastic grandson, Alex (Eugene Hutz), whose fractured command of English, passion for American pop culture, and constant chatter threaten to make the worst of every situation. The guides are not very knowledgeable about the subject of finding Jews, and usually just attempt to scam them by taking them on long journeys, but after hearing about Jonathan's compelling story, they decide they actually want to help him. After traveling through much of rural Ukraine, they eventually find Augustina's sister, who leads them to where Augustina was killed by Nazi soldiers after her father refused to spit on the Torah. Alex's grandfather kills himself after it was revealed he was Jewish and managed to survive the war himself by hiding his religion. Jonathan returns home after saying farewell to Alex, to whom he has grown close. Both Jonathan and Alex sprinkle soil gathered from the site of the massacre, on their respective grandfather's grave. Alex's grandfather is given a Jewish burial.

American Chronicle counted the film among the "rare films that encapsulate the emotion of discovery and drama with humor",[7] while Time Out New York called it Liev Schreiber's "unbelievably assured debut as a director".[8] Roger Ebert praised the film, assigning it 3 and a half stars out of 4, and suggested that one might well see it a second time (as he did) "to understand the journey it takes".[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_Is_Illuminated_(film)#cite_note-ebert-2

And if I really wanted to be an a$$hole, I could go through and get a synopsis of all of these films in order to find out how the holocaust was addressed or depicted, because the movie I quoted makes it seems like its just used as a plot device.

My point is, when slave movies or civil rights movies are made they don't hesitate to show graphic, explicit violence against Blacks committed by whites.
These so called holocaust movies are given a heroic or noble tint, that Black movies are not awarded.

But you did prove your point....kinda

SUAJCS*93*

Banned
Daps
If they finally do an Akira movie it needs to be in 3 parts with each one being based on 2 volumes from the manga.

That's where the real story is at for you dudes saying otherwise. They butchered that story so much just to have it fit as an anime movie. :snoop:

That story is DEEEEEP. It's about human evolution and lowkey joining the universal consciousness.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Akira is overrated to me and no director with sense should try to bring it to the silver screen unless he wants it to he the last movie he ever does in this town not called sharknado.

They'd be safer remaking fist of the North star under Legendary films starring a bunch of coc diesal Mma dudes.

Wow I should be working for a movie studio with these ideas.

A FOTNS movie could really work. atleast way better then the one from the 90s :skip:

bordeaux

xxx
Daps
Reppin
God's Plan
he's gonna get criticisms if all the actors arent japanese but he's gonna need a name to carry the film. then there's the ending which just aint gonna translate or go over well w/ american audiences but the die hard fans will complain if it aint less than a shot for shot remake of the anime. pass on this breh.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Get out is far superior to chronicle. chronicle was good but nothing incredible or mind blowing. get out will most likely be considered a horror classic in retrospect.

Only to black people, cacs are showing an interest in him because of the money the film made despite the budget. Any filmmaker that makes huge box office despite a small budget always gets the suits interest.