Michael Irvin says he was happiest playing football in college because he was broke

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
ap17287858967883.jpg

• Michael Irvin had a successful NFL career that included three Super Bowl wins.
  • However, Irvin says the happiest he ever was playing football was at the University of Miami because he didn't have to support anybody.
  • To this day, Irvin says he still has family members who ask him for money and now must choose between "front-end" investments

Former NFL wide receiver Michael Irvin had a pro career most would be jealous of, including 12 seasons with the great Dallas Cowboys teams of the 1990s, three Super Bowl rings, and a lot of fun along the way. But to hear him tell it, none of that compared to the three seasons he spent playing college football at The U.

Irvin was recently a guest on "The Dan Le Batard Show" on AM 790 The Ticket in Miami and was asked when he was the happiest and when he had the most fun playing football. According to Irvin it was at the University of Miami and the reason might surprise some peopleIt was because he was broke.

"Oh my god, yes [it was at Miami]," Irvin said. "Let me tell you why, Dan. Being broke, because then it was having all the highs of the moment and not dealing with some of the lows of the moment because you didn't have the people attacking you from a financial standpoint."

Irvin last played in the NFL in 1999, but as he explained, he still has family members who ask him for money to this day, and now he has to pick and choose whom to help based on whether it is a "front-end" investment or just a "back-end" handout.

"I gotta get a letter out to all my family members and everybody and say: 'You do know I've been carrying this load since 1988? Can I please get off this wagon?' My brothers and sisters, they're all grown. I'm like: 'You guys are grown.' Now I don't mind, I do what I can for all my nieces and nephews. I consider that to be an investment, what I give to them. But I consider it to be throwing money away now when I give to my brothers and sisters. I'm like: "Hey, this is spending money on the past. You guys, your future is set. An investment is spending money on your kids. Getting your kids into St. Thomas, I'll help you do that.' Because that gives them a future and gets them out my pocket when they're grown. I'd rather spend on the front end than when it is costing me on the back end. So I'm helping the kids early to get them in the right schools, put them in the right situations. That's spending on the front end instead of what I'm doing with my brothers and sisters, giving money, spending on the back end. You never get back-end money back." :wow::ohlawd:

After Irvin's playing days were over, he did start a successful career as an analyst, first at ESPN, and now at the NFL Network. But to him, nothing will ever top playing football at Miami.

"That's why college was the greatest," Irvin said. "I don't care what anyone says. That's why college was the greatest. When you get to this place, there is a bunch of responsibilities. You have to be putting out fires all the time. You've got to build up the water hose and put out fires. You've got to build up the water hose and put out fires. In college, it's just special, it's a special time, nothing like it."

(Note: Cut begging ass relatives and friends loose, even your parents have a limit :ufdup: Some peeps in college were sending home refund checks to people. Help those who are trying to help themselves.)

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
If he was white, he wouldn't be saying this. He is saying this because most of us Black folks broke due to white supremacy and need help.

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB

WHAT HE SAID ABOUT THE SIBLINGS/NIECES/NEPHEWS WAS REAL TALK
BUT WHY MAKE THIS PUBLIC?

:devil:
:evil:

Yeah but it's good info may help others who enable relatives. When dealing with any people in your circle, any act of giving should be an ROI or "tic for tat" as they say in game theory - aka strategies that yield efficient outcomes.

I've noticed a lot of brehs prefer a carefree existence, even as elders instead of being providers and leaders. Could be reversal of gender roles or maybe Boomers have Peter Pan Syndrome which has trickled down to the subsequent generation.

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah but it's good info may help others who enable relatives. When dealing with any people in your circle, any act of giving should be an ROI or "tic for tat" as they say in game theory - aka strategies that yield efficient outcomes.

I've noticed a lot of brehs prefer a carefree existence, even as elders instead of being providers and leaders. Could be reversal of gender roles or maybe Boomers have Peter Pan Syndrome which has trickled down to the subsequent generation.

It’s because it’s draining as fukk to be responsible for other adults, especially for regular folks without Michael Irvin money.

Going through this situation with my mom right now.

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
It’s because it’s draining as fukk to be responsible for other adults, especially for regular folks without Michael Irvin money.

Going through this situation with my mom right now.
Mom should be on a limit too, it will be hard. my spouse and I disagree with this sometimes but in the end you have to retire in peace.