Michael Irvin says he was happiest playing football in college because he was broke

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ap17287858967883.jpg

• Michael Irvin had a successful NFL career that included three Super Bowl wins.
  • However, Irvin says the happiest he ever was playing football was at the University of Miami because he didn't have to support anybody.
  • To this day, Irvin says he still has family members who ask him for money and now must choose between "front-end" investments

Former NFL wide receiver Michael Irvin had a pro career most would be jealous of, including 12 seasons with the great Dallas Cowboys teams of the 1990s, three Super Bowl rings, and a lot of fun along the way. But to hear him tell it, none of that compared to the three seasons he spent playing college football at The U.

Irvin was recently a guest on "The Dan Le Batard Show" on AM 790 The Ticket in Miami and was asked when he was the happiest and when he had the most fun playing football. According to Irvin it was at the University of Miami and the reason might surprise some peopleIt was because he was broke.

"Oh my god, yes [it was at Miami]," Irvin said. "Let me tell you why, Dan. Being broke, because then it was having all the highs of the moment and not dealing with some of the lows of the moment because you didn't have the people attacking you from a financial standpoint."

Irvin last played in the NFL in 1999, but as he explained, he still has family members who ask him for money to this day, and now he has to pick and choose whom to help based on whether it is a "front-end" investment or just a "back-end" handout.

"I gotta get a letter out to all my family members and everybody and say: 'You do know I've been carrying this load since 1988? Can I please get off this wagon?' My brothers and sisters, they're all grown. I'm like: 'You guys are grown.' Now I don't mind, I do what I can for all my nieces and nephews. I consider that to be an investment, what I give to them. But I consider it to be throwing money away now when I give to my brothers and sisters. I'm like: "Hey, this is spending money on the past. You guys, your future is set. An investment is spending money on your kids. Getting your kids into St. Thomas, I'll help you do that.' Because that gives them a future and gets them out my pocket when they're grown. I'd rather spend on the front end than when it is costing me on the back end. So I'm helping the kids early to get them in the right schools, put them in the right situations. That's spending on the front end instead of what I'm doing with my brothers and sisters, giving money, spending on the back end. You never get back-end money back." :wow::ohlawd:

After Irvin's playing days were over, he did start a successful career as an analyst, first at ESPN, and now at the NFL Network. But to him, nothing will ever top playing football at Miami.

"That's why college was the greatest," Irvin said. "I don't care what anyone says. That's why college was the greatest. When you get to this place, there is a bunch of responsibilities. You have to be putting out fires all the time. You've got to build up the water hose and put out fires. You've got to build up the water hose and put out fires. In college, it's just special, it's a special time, nothing like it."

(Note: Cut begging ass relatives and friends loose, even your parents have a limit :ufdup: Some peeps in college were sending home refund checks to people. Help those who are trying to help themselves.)
and this is something most white players dont have to deal with. why? we know why. They're entire family tree and their friends are not nearly as broke as black folks most times. it is what it is.

121715-14966.png

Sorry irving. This aint our fault bruh. it is what it is. so if one of ours hits the lotto. we need that money.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali

WHAT HE SAID ABOUT THE SIBLINGS/NIECES/NEPHEWS WAS REAL TALK
BUT WHY MAKE THIS PUBLIC?

:devil:
:evil:

Probably burnt out and its killing him. Not the best platform but he probably had to vent

If he was white, he wouldn't be saying this. He is saying this because most of us Black folks broke due to white supremacy and need help.

Or what if his family is a bunch of bums. This is the case sometimes believe it or not

I can understand it from the simple perspective of not having that pressure on you, but most of us would gladly take that opportunity and deal with what comes with it as a result to help our families.

Again we don't know what type of family members he has. Some need just a little assistence or simply need a door opened up while other types have no shame and will never stop asking for the handout and guilt trip him to death if he refuses or even has to think it over first.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Again we don't know what type of family members he has. Some need just a little assistence or simply need a door opened up while other types have no shame and will never stop asking for the handout and guilt trip him to death if he refuses or even has to think it over first.
I understand that, but many of us would still love to be in that position of being a MILLIONAIRE and the opportunity to provide financial freedom to your entire family.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I understand that, but many of us would still love to be in that position of being a MILLIONAIRE and the opportunity to provide financial freedom to your entire family.
Yeah we would all love to be millionairs and look out for our immediate/close family but shyt can easily spiral out of control with certain family members. Is cool chatting about this hypothetically until you would actually have to go through it. That's a whole different ballgame right there. People change up quick once they find you got got dough

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If he was white, he wouldn't be saying this. He is saying this because most of us Black folks broke due to white supremacy and need help.

breh. at what point are we going to stop using this reasoning?

irvin has had money for almost 30 yrs.....his brothers and sisters in 3 decades couldve gotten degrees, built businesses, invested etc....but no instead they chose to live off him and ask for handouts.....

no excuse

Mentch15

Banned
Daps
I'm in college right now and I hate it. Carefree existence my ass, it's the busiest time of my life and I don't have time for shyt. I can't wait to get into the real world so I can finally support myself without having to deal with my annoying ass parents, have a real job that makes actual fukking money, and fukk adult bytches

Do I like not having to have as much responsibility? Yeah, at times. But once you learn to be responsible for yourself, it becomes second nature and you find yourself much more able to deal with shyt reasonably than you did in the past

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
I'm in college right now and I hate it. Carefree existence my ass, it's the busiest time of my life and I don't have time for shyt. I can't wait to get into the real world so I can finally support myself without having to deal with my annoying ass parents, have a real job that makes actual fukking money, and fukk adult bytches

Do I like not having to have as much responsibility? Yeah, at times. But once you learn to be responsible for yourself, it becomes second nature and you find yourself much more able to deal with shyt reasonably than you did in the past
You sound like a mature young man and I hope you don't develop Peter Pan Syndrome and become a middle age man who hates responsibility and pine over his carefree broke college days of fukking barely legal women, financing Harley's at age 60 and dating 25 year olds who don't require much than shopping trips and apartment rent. Godspeed to you :salute:

Mentch15

Banned
Daps
You sound like a mature young man and I hope you don't develop Peter Pan Syndrome and become a middle age man who hates responsibility and pine over his carefree broke college days of fukking barely legal women, financing Harley's at age 60 and dating 25 year olds who don't require much than shopping trips and apartment rent. Godspeed to you :salute:

Thanks man, I wish I had just maintained that mentality from the start. When I first started college I was more concerned with smoking my way through it and halfassing shyt. Eventually got to the point where I failed Calc 2, dropped my GPA from a 3.0 to a 2.0, and I eventually dropped out for a year and a half