Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth 20th Anniversary Official Celebration/Appreciation Thread Free Daps

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Yeah man. If you look in the liner notes, that are some samples that they bothered clearing, but not as many as you'd think. I've seen some revisionist history about how Havoc didn't sample on some of those songs, but don't get it fukked up, he was most definitely digging in the crates for that album.

I mean the samples for Shook Ones Pt. II and Survival of the Fittest JUST got discovered within the past few years, and Havoc was a young buck back then that was just making beats and didn't give a fukk about writing down what he sampled. That was before Hell on Earth. So there are probably a couple things on The Infamous that still aren't entirely unearthed.

So the story was always that Havoc forgot a lot of what he sampled in those early days to begin with, and then got smarter about making sure to keep track of what he sampled as he matured as a producer.He was just cranking out beats and was probably high and/or drunk a lot of the time. When you're a kid you aren't worried about that.

The obvious samples for Hell on Earth got cleared. The Jackson 5 sample, the Michael Jackson samples, the Scarface movie sample, etc. The more obvious stuff. A lot of that album though is still undiscovered. Drums, bass lines, melodies, and probably even vocal samples.

There was even a rumor that Get Dealt With was the Drop a Gem On 'Em sample, but slowed down. I think a producer/sample nerd figured out that wasn't true though.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This album is q prelude to hell is hot in a, werid way. One of hip hop darkest albums
I agree, but I actually think Hell on Earth is darker than X's first album. Sonically at least. They're close, and shyt, DMX does talk about raping an his enemy's underage daughter on that album (:damn::whoa:), but there is nothing on It's Dark and Hell Is Hot that is as upbeat Ruff Ryderz Anthem or How's It Goin' Down. Even Crime story is just nice and smooth, but not all that dark. You can tell Def Jam at least forced DMX to throw an anthem joint and a song for the girls on that album. Hell on Earth doesn't let up at all.

I'm not saying Hell Is Hot isn't a very dark album, because it is. And it might be the darkest mainstream hip-hop album ever, but Hell on Earth sounds darker and more bleak than any hip-hop album ever IMO.

Hav and P even said they had a ton of death and tragedy around them at that time, and that there's no way they could have ever made an album that sounded like that at any other point in their lives, even if they tried.

BlackDroog

All Star
Daps
I agree, but I actually think Hell on Earth is darker than X's first album. Sonically at least. They're close, and shyt, DMX does talk about raping an his enemy's underage daughter on that album (:damn::whoa:), but there is nothing on It's Dark and Hell Is Hot that is as upbeat Ruff Ryderz Anthem or How's It Goin' Down. Even Crime story is just nice and smooth, but not all that dark. You can tell Def Jam at least forced DMX to throw an anthem joint and a song for the girls on that album. Hell on Earth doesn't let up at all.

I'm not saying Hell Is Hot isn't a very dark album, because it is. And it might be the darkest mainstream hip-hop album ever, but Hell on Earth sounds darker and more bleak than any hip-hop album ever IMO.

Hav and P even said they had a ton of death and tragedy around them at that time, and that there's no way they could have ever made an album that sounded like that at any other point in their lives, even if they tried.

Great analysis...but Now you got me wanting to hear DMX rapping over those Havoc Beats. Just the thought alone has me like...

:merchant::why::whew:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Great analysis...but Now you got me wanting to hear DMX rapping over those Havoc Beats. Just the thought alone has me like...

:merchant::why::whew:
Same here man.

DMX didn't rap over a LOT of producers' beats that he should've rapped over.

I mean I know he was a mess but god damn it seems like we missed out on some good potential X music.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Yeah man. If you look in the liner notes, that are some samples that they bothered clearing, but not as many as you'd think. I've seen some revisionist history about how Havoc didn't sample on some of those songs, but don't get it fukked up, he was most definitely digging in the crates for that album.

I mean the samples for Shook Ones Pt. II and Survival of the Fittest JUST got discovered within the past few years, and Havoc was a young buck back then that was just making beats and didn't give a fukk about writing down what he sampled. That was before Hell on Earth. So there are probably a couple things on The Infamous that still aren't entirely unearthed.

So the story was always that Havoc forgot a lot of what he sampled in those early days to begin with, and then got smarter about making sure to keep track of what he sampled as he matured as a producer.He was just cranking out beats and was probably high and/or drunk a lot of the time. When you're a kid you aren't worried about that.

The obvious samples for Hell on Earth got cleared. The Jackson 5 sample, the Michael Jackson samples, the Scarface movie sample, etc. The more obvious stuff. A lot of that album though is still undiscovered. Drums, bass lines, melodies, and probably even vocal samples.

There was even a rumor that Get Dealt With was the Drop a Gem On 'Em sample, but slowed down. I think a producer/sample nerd figured out that wasn't true though.

I remember you brought this up in the 19th anniversary thread and I went and listened to Get Dealt With slowed down as much as I could and I didn't hear it. Kinda similar to this thread where I had to listen to Hell on Earth slowed down to see if P said simplified or semper fi :prodigylol:

shopant

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ohhh:

He did come correct on the remix too though :jbhmm:

Yo son, I hear alot a nikkas call theyself infamous
Lets sit back and take a look at this, respect this
We be the most infamous livin reckless
We'll undress kids , come on pop the necklace
To go against my Mobb would be senseless
To resent this you must gotta deathwish
You simp kid you really in this my nikka face bent
But still carrying gats goin for his
What the deal....you know the drill

A lot of those lyrics are wrong :beli:
That verse contains very dope "sssss" adlibs by P. He also did it here a few years later

He was straight up snakin! Sssssssssssss

Super dope idea by the GOD P DOUBLE ! Btw, That has to be one of the top ALC&P collabos!
:ohhh::ohlawd:

and this is the same phantasm sample sped up:

I remeber when I got this track for the very first time :whew: It was immediately on repeat. That beat is one of the most characteristic ALC beats from that era! :ohlawd:

Last edited:

We Ready

The Malarkey Cutter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
What are we even talking about in here @Illeye buckmatic ?

UQf24WG.png