My thoughts on the Harriet Tubman movie. SPOILERS

Archangel

Banned
Daps
Just got back from it. Saw it for free. There were 13 people in the theater. 3 of those were white.

I thought the movie was very elementary. Amateurish really. It seemed to be done by a very skilled college group with a great budget. The lead actress wasn't a strong enough lead for a gritty legend such as Tubman.

The acting was mediocre. If you were to close your eyes and just listen to the dialogue, you wouldn't believe you were listening to 1850s banter or speech. You would think this was someone trying to imitate that period and that's exactly what it came across as; people trying.

The bounty hunter and young slave master were so bad that it was comical. The black bounty hunter looked like Killer Mike mixed with Bubba from Forrest Gump. It really looked like they just went and got a country breh from Decatur Georgia and told him to memorize these lines. No acting whatsoever. It was a joke. Ol buddy playing the young slave Master seemed so disinterested the entire movie. I didn't see any emotion or range from him at all. Just there for the check.

The best acting was from Harriets father. I liked him. He spoke and acted like you would think a older slave would back then. He was unintentionally funny too the way he would wear a blindfold when Harriet would sneak to see him so he couldn't lie and say he didn't see her if the cacs came asking.

There were 10 gunshots in the entire film and only 2 people were killed, both being black.

The movie was so cookiecutter. I've read books on Tubman about how gritty and merciless she was. She would threaten to kill the slaves she was helping if one of them wanted to turn back outta fear and return to the plantation because it would jeopardize the group and mission.

I know the movie was pg 13 but I really was expecting a real narrative of her prime days leading the underground railroad. There was no tension in the film. NONE. How you have a film on Tubman sneaking all up and down through Baltimore in the freezing night freeing slaves and not have tension. There are stories about the lengths she'd go; almost like a spy. Wearing disguises. Hiding in plain sight, using animals as decoys and distractions. The type of shyt you'd see in a looney tunes cartoon, she was doing in real life, tricking cacs and risking her life.

Now I've read that she's had to kill but I can't substantiate it. It is always inferred that she's caught a few bodies because they always say she packed a revolver and she wasn't afraid to use it. Harriet killed nothing in the film. She fired a gun 3 times. They made this big scene in the movie where Janelle Mones character opened this fancy box and pulled out a nice revolver and showed Harriet how to wield it. That scene was pointless cause she barely used it.

The finale was awful. Bubba the bounty hunter is about to shoot Harriet despite orders to capture her alive. The slave owner then shoots him in the head, killing him and saving Harriet. Harriet then shot him in the hand disarming him in the process. He's on his knees staring down the barrel of her rifle only for her to walk away:gucci:

Knowing how ruthless Harriet was and how she would let no loose ends jeopardize her mission, why tf did she not shoot this mf?

By the way, Janelle Mones character is killed by bubba the bounty hunter after he beats her and kicks her in the head. Black on black crime :wow:
So the only 2 people who are killed in the film are black and one was killed by a black man. Hollywood just couldn't help themselves.

I know Tubman was super religious and even said that God would give her visions but the way the movie implemented it was a joke. This is a real scene:

Harriet is leading a group of 7 slaves at night. They are running from a legion of horsemen, bloodhounds and slavers. The slavers have set up roadblocks ahead so the slaves would have nowhere to run. Harriet, with the slavers on their tale, faints to her knees and has a vision. The slaves are panicking because she's unresponsive. The vision shows her that the road ahead is blocked. So she leads then in another direction through a river. All this happens and these nikkas ain't get caught?:gucci:

The costumes were dope though and the negro spiritual songs were well sung and implemented nicely.

I hate that a hero and legend such as Harriet fukking Tubman was disgraced to be portrayed by such a half assed film. You can do any other legend like this but not Harriet. I enjoyed birth of a nation actually and was hoping this film would mirror that in some ways but this shyt we got now:unimpressed:

:stopitslime:

Last edited:

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Just got back from it. There were 13 people in the theater. 3 of those were white.

I thought the movie was very elementary. Amateurish really. It seemed to be done by a very skilled college group with a great budget. The lead actress wasn't a strong enough lead for a gritty legend such as Tubman.

The acting was mediocre. If you were to close your eyes and just listen to the dialogue, you wouldn't believe you were listening to 1850s banter or speech. You would think this was someone trying to imitate that period and that's exactly what it came across as; people trying.

The bounty hunter and young slave master were so bad that it was comical. The black bounty hunter looked like Killer Mike mixed with Bubba from Forrest Gump. It really looked like they just went and got a country breh from Decatur Georgia and told him to just memorize these lines. No acting whatsoever. It was a joke. Ol buddy playing the young slave Master seemed so disinterested the entire movie. I didn't see any emotion or range from him at all. Just the for the check.

The best acting was from Harriets father. I liked him. He spoke and acted like you would think a older slave would back then. He was unintentionally funny too the way he wear a blindfold when Harriet would sneak to see him so he couldn't lie and say he didn't see her if the cacs came asking.

There were 10 gunshots in the entire film and only 2 people were killed, both being black.

The movie was so cookiecutter. I've read books on Tubman about how gritty and merciless she was. She would threaten to kill the slaves she was helping if one of them wanted to turn back outta fear and return to the plantation because would jeopardize the group and mission.

I know the movie was pg 13 but I really was expecting a real narrative of her prime days leading the underground railroad. There was no tension in the film. There are stories about the lengths she'd go; almost like a spy. Wearing disguises. Hiding in plain site, using animals as decoys and distractions. The type of shyt you'd see in a looney tunes cartoon, she was doing in real life, tricking cacs and risking her life.

Now I've read that she's had to kill but I can't substantiate it. It is always inferred that she's caught a few bodies because they always say she packed a revolver and she wasn't afraid to use it. Harriet killed nothing in the film. She fired a gun 3 times. They made this big scene in the movie where Janealle Mones character opened this fancy box and pulled out a nice revolver and showed Harriet how to weild it. That scene was pointless cause she barely used it.

The finale was awful. Bubba the bounty hunter is about to shoot Harriet despite orders to capture her alive. The slave owner then shoots him in the head, killing him and saving Harriet. Harriet then shot him in the hand disarming him in the process. He's on his knees in staring down the barrel of her rifle only for her to walk away:gucci:

By the way Janelle Mones character is killed by bubba the bounty hunter after he beats her and kicks her in the head. So the only 2 people who are killed in the film are black and the one was killed by a black man. Hollywood just couldn't help themselves.

I know Tubman was super religious and even said that God would give her visions but the way the movie implemented it was a joke. This is a real scene:

Harriet is leading a group of 7 slaves at night. They are running from a legion of horsemen, bloodhounds and slavers. The slavers have set up roadblocks ahead so the slaves would have nowhere to run. Harriet, with the slavers on their tale, faints to her knees and has a vision. The slaves are panicking because she's unresponsive. The vision shows her that the road ahead is blocked. So she leads then in another direction through a river. All this happens and these nikkas ain't get caught?:gucci:

The costumes were dooe though and the negro spiritual songs were well sung and implemented nicely.

I hate that a hero and legend such as Harriet fukking Tubman was disgraced to be portrayed by such a half assed film. You can do any other legend like this but not Harriet. I enjoyed birth of a nation actually and was hoping this film would mirror that in some ways but this shyt we got now:unimpressed:
1st bolded: That's amazing and they don't teach this at all in schools. Imagine if black girls knew early on that Harriet was as cool as James Bond or Wonder Woman

2nd Bolded: That's so raven Harriet Edition :mjlol:

Max Headroom

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Bubba the bounty hunter is about to shoot Harriet despite orders to capture her alive. The slave owner then shoots him in the head, killing him and saving Harriet.
PTEkSV4.png

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Harriet Tubman’s descendent was in N.J. to screen movie about abolitionist
Today 6:45 PM
FTGAARRKXJB6LOJ2PGBDMOD4BQ.jpg

Brianna Kudisch | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

(Left to right) Kimerly Cornish and Kim Nesbitt Good pose in front of a carboard cutout of Harriet Tubman before the film's screening Thursday night in Elizabeth.

shares
By Brianna Kudisch | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Hundreds of people packed a sold-out theater in Elizabeth Thursday night to watch the latest portrayal of one of America’s most famous abolitionists, Harriet Tubman.

Among those in the audience? Her own descendant—Kimerly Cornish, from Ithaca, New York.

Cornish’s maternal side is descended from Harriet’s paternal side, she said, and she believes she is the sixth cousin, but isn’t certain, since her mother didn’t keep records of the lineage.

More than 400 people showed up to dinner and a screening of the movie “Harriet” Thursday night, which is based on Harriet Tubman’s life and work through the Underground Railroad. It was a private event hosted by the Friends of New Jersey Legacy Foundation.

The film rightly encapsulated Harriet’s belief in freedom for all, Cornish told NJ Advance Media the day after the screening.

“She made a way out of no way, which is when she was told ‘Oh, you can’t do this,’ (and she said) ‘You can’t tell me I can’t do this,’ and she went and did it,” Cornish said.

“And that’s often the way people are. People are always going to tell you what your limitations are, because they’re basically stating their own limitations," she added.

Tickets for the event, which included dinner, were $35. Proceeds went to the foundation’s funds, which are used to celebrate Juneteenth every year with a parade and food, Kim Nesbitt Good, the organizer of the screening and group, said.

“(Harriet Tubman) was an awesome person who believed everyone should be free and not enslaved,” Good said. “She loved all people. She was tough. She let God lead her in everything that she did—that’s why she was so successful in what she did.”

I2DZN5JBCRBZHF4HCP5VSZSOLI.jpg

Brianna Kudisch | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Yvonne and Robert Davis, of Elizabeth, helped organize the screening of "Harriet," the movie about Harriet Tubman's life and work as an abolitionist. Proceeds from the event will go toward the group's Juneteenth celebration, which is displayed on their shirts.

People were excited to see the film and spoke highly of Harriet Tubman’s impact on their lives before watching the screening.

Yvonne Davis, of Elizabeth, helped organize the screening and described Tubman as “always my hero—all the time.”

“If it wasn’t for her, some of us wouldn’t be standing here,” Shirely Trent, of Newark, said, while waiting in line to get into the theater.

Various church groups, organizations, and local restaurants provided the food for dinner, which included collard greens, fried fish, chicken wings, roast beef, biscuits, rice, and potato salad.

Although the film couldn’t include every detail from Harriet’s life, Cornish said, it was “probably as good as Hollywood could produce.”

However, a film about Harriet Tubman’s life is not a great enough catalyst for institutional change, she argued.

“Because frankly, I grew up with people always talking about Harriet Tubman, and the question...as to ‘Will this have a long-lasting impact on white supremacy as it exists in this country today?’ and the answer is probably no, unfortunately,” she said.

Good, who called the movie “wonderful,” said Harriet’s desire was for everyone to be free.

“(Harriet) loved people and she loved people so much (that) she kept her life on the line, to do what she could to make freedom a real word, and not (a word) just somebody used,” Good said.

( *That's NJ.com with the typo / misuse of the word in the headline, not me. And they wonder why some people laugh at New Jersey *)

Last edited:

Archangel

Banned
Daps
Is it true she has superpowers in the movie? Supposedly she has a spider sense and can sense when white people are nearby...:patrice:
They turned her faith in God into Thats So Raven/Final Destination premonitions.

Granted, Harriet did say she received visions from God but she didn't really specify how in great detail. So the movie just threw some shyt against the wall to see what stuck.