Okay, let's have a real thread: How do you deal with DEPRESSION?

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
ANd let me preface this by saying: IT'S OKAY TO BE DEPRESSED! IT'S OKAY TO BE EMOTIONAL! NEVER LET ANYBODY TELL YOU OTHERWISE (for all the bytch ass nikkas tryna police how I post in my PMs I won't respond to).

Especially now. There's a pandemic that's killed hundreds of thousands of people. Folks are grieving their loved ones that have passed away. People are unemployed and struggling to make ends meet. Businesses are closed. Inequality is rapidly accelerating.

Let's just stop this "nothing phazes me, I stupidly stoic and non-emotional" ass tough guy bullshyt on here cauyse that shyt is played and fake as fukk.

When you grown, life hits you differently. And no one is going to process those emotions the same way.

Especially us Black folks...when society has the flu we have pneumonia and are on a ventilator. We can't pretend like everything's all good for fear of being seen as weak.

So now that we got that out of the way...how to you deal with being down in dumps? Personally I just uses music and art as therapy. And skateboarding, and exercise. And going on the coli to talk to like minded people.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
America be making me depressed.

Especially lately.

This country is one big goddamn racist lie after another racist lie. It can be so discouraging to even want to continue sometimes living like this in a country that refuses to let you succeed. I be dreaming of going to Nigeria (where my dad's from) and leaving here forever. Never coming back. Finding my roots and heritage. Seeing where my dad went to school and grew up.

:snoop:

Seeing all of these whites and non-blacks skate by on the bare minumum meanwhile I feel like I've done everything you were supposed to do right in this country and failed.

Could you imagine a black dude who grew up in a rich suburb was homeless...TWICE?

Yeah...that was me.
:wow:

Seems like this country is just built for black people to fail.
:manny:
Hard for me to enjoy hearing others wax regalia about their 6 figs 6 certs and 6 dimes when I'm still in the same place financially and professionally I was when I was 21 and I'm 35 now.

:yeshrug:

America just doesn't want to see black people advance or doing something better than white folks so they gonna sabotage your shyt and make sure you stay at the bottom.

And us Africans are supposedly doing so good here...why do you think I go so hard on the pro-black America and the pro-black shyt period? Cause I know there's a debt to be owed to us for all the shyt we've been through.
:jawalrus:

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
And you know what...I get frustrated to. My frustrations are about America and racism and how it's impeded our collective progress.
I be reading these news stories you post on here about how we still getting mistreated and I just be like
"what did black people ever do to deserve this type of treatment?"
:wow:
I'm a big dude too...but I still got a big heart that cares about people.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I had episodes of depression after dealing with the aftermath of my (then) girl having an abortion and the only real way to get through it is with time and allowing yourself to have the low moments whilst acknowledging that’s it’s only temporary. Having people in your life that can make you laugh helps a lot because you can spend hours with them and not think about your problems. As a result, when I watched my uncle and grandfather die in the space of a month a year later and dealt with the grief a lot better after my first experience.

On your day-to-day management of your mental state, try to avoid content/people that are just going to disturb you. When you’re in that kind of space, the slightest thing can piss you off and it’s not a good look for you if everyone thinks you’re fragile. Working out helps too because you’re using your pent up frustrations on something productive.

I strongly suggest not turning to alcohol because all that does is fukk with your health and self-esteem. If you’re going to use a substance to calm yourself, then weed can help but I’ve seen people change once they start dabbling because they’re using it as an escape rather than an aide.

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
Last time I was depressed, the only things that helped take my mind off it were smoking weed and League of Legends.

Smoking weed because it affects your brain chemistry enough to dull the feelings for a while.
League of Legends because it was roughly 40 minutes when I was able to focus on anything else other than the depression.

Neither were long-term solutions, obviously, but they got me through the worst days of it.

The only real way to get through it is either with therapy and medication if you have clinical depression (chemical imbalance) or time if you have event-driven depression (death in the family, dissolution of a relationship).

Sassy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'll tell you: Weed (edibles), music, and be around/talk to people who you can trust and have your back.

or if you aren't much of a people person...minus the last part.

But that's just how I do it tho :manny:

ConPHIdential

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Exercise and new experiences.

I’m sure I burn more than everyone who has posted in this thread and I can say that Marijuana is a very slippery slope for some individuals during depression. I am a from believer in a Healthy Mind = Healthy High. From my own experiences weed has actually made me feel worse harping on whatever is causing the depression giving me temporary relief and then then impending doom feeling that takes place after.

Kenyan West

lazy fba philly nikka,
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
1. The realization that depression is there to motivate your loser ass to find a life.
2. The understanding that you have control over your mind as a grown ass man and can decide to be better.
3. Exercise, travel and combat sports.
4. The acquisition of money, consistent poosey and accomplishment.