Okay, let's have a real thread: How do you deal with DEPRESSION?

ScottyG

Separate the boys from men
Daps
200w.gif

No Hook

Surrounded By Hate Yet I Love Home
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Yes, I do.
but this bides my time.

I always find it funny when people make threads like this and automatically assume that poster is a shut in with no social life.

Ofcourse I have friends. I was just hanging out with my friends on Friday night drinking for a birthday party.
:mjlol:

But as always with some people...you have to put a face on you refrain from certain topics cause you know certain people just can't relate and you're not going to get the answers you really want and desire.

I didn't automatically assume anything

I asked a legit question and was trying to see if I could give you some type of advice or help you but ok

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Meditation is important. Exercising. Eating healthy. However the older I get the more I see the importance of having a close knit social circles. We are social creatures and most of us cannot function without some social structure. Unfortunately our current society doesn't cater to this aspect of human instinct.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Find what makes you happy and do it without a chance of anyone else interrupting that. Sounds simple, but it can be really difficult for some folks trying to take their mind off of being depressed, while they still saddled to other obligations and people that will temporarily derail them from achieving a comfortable centre to just enjoy yourself and being alive in the moment.

That's why I often turn off my phone when I need "Me" time so that I don't have to deal with anyone or anything and just chill. Out of all the drugs I've done, It's Ironic that the one I've avoided for so long, was the one to give me the best long lasting euphoric feeling that helps me to cope with when life's dragging me down and I can't shoulder the burden without lashing out, or fuming to the point of doing such.

Roll a joint, turn on some Reggae or some Cartoons and just chill, alone or in the lap of an agreeable female and just forget what's ailing me for a moment and let my mind wander. Outside of smoking weed through Grief, I've never not toked some herb and failed to feel good during and afterwards.

Also, taking a bath and drinking a cold glass of water really helps me too, but then again I'm often dirty and dehydrated at times, so maybe I'm just appreciating going back to normal rather then finding some sort of weird comfort from it...but then again I'm a pretty weird guy, so there's that too.
I stay blazing that herb.
:smoker:
And I got no hoes in my roster though...so I spend time to myself. Making music and DJing.
:yeshrug:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. The realization that depression is there to motivate your loser ass to find a life.
2. The understanding that you have control over your mind as a grown ass man and can decide to be better.
3. Exercise, travel and combat sports.
4. The acquisition of money, consistent poosey and accomplishment.
You don’t understand how depression works, you can damn near have a perfect life, but due to the chemical imbalance in your brain you’ll constantly focus on your flaws

old_timer

Taxi Squad
Daps
I was about 10 years old when i started a self-evaluation process that continues to this day

It is intermittent, and an occasional reflection/review of what has happened,,
and what results i have gotten

I take note of what about myself can't be changed (category 1)
..and that is some good stuff and some bad stuff
Some good stuff can be embraced and put on display (with effort), and some bad stuff can be hidden (with effort)

I also make a list of things that can be changed.. (Category 2)
..and if i want to change these things (with effort), or further develop them (with effort)

Then you have to do an honest accounting of how much effort you can generate
Effort is a mix of cognitive functions (intelligence, mental focus, maturity, etc) plus resources (such as 24 hours in a day, money, etc.) and environment (certain windows of opportunity, winter versus summer, the state of the world, etc)

The key to life is to make a plan, allocate your efforts in an honest way, and then live it

I suspect a lot of so-called mental illness is people living out of balance with their efforts

They map out a vision of themselves that uses 800% effort
Let's pretend i was an unemployed gay man living with his parents, dont really "like" being black, who is lazy and has limited intelligence, and has an extreme affinity for drama and wants to explore gender fluidity

The healthiest thing to do would be to start a gossip site, throw on a wig with a touch of blush makeup, speak/type in a real "saucy" manner preferred by white people..
and monetize the performance!!!

Doing so might actually might lead to happiness and a best case outcome with 80% effort

But instead, what if this man goes a different route..
What if he claims and tries to demonstrate a great work ethic
What if he claims/pretends to be straight or creates a weird narrative backstory about his homelife
What if he claims to be pro-black and anti-white
What if he decides it's important to "seem " intelligent",, and has to spend time stealing ideas and trying to pass them off as his own
What if he wants to pretend he hates the drama he actually craves
What if he wants to look like a bodybuilder but enjoys eating fast food

Well,basically, those changes and concealments would require 800% effort
And 800% effort doesnt exist.. 100% is the max
So he'll drive himself nuts and end up in a mental hospital

Every day will be a struggle because he is fighting against himself
not only is he wasting his time, but his performance won't be believable
Because his "concealments" won't "add up"
and he won't be able to maintain an excessively ambitious improvement regimen

As an aside, i am not saying it to wrong to hide category 1 stuff or change/fix category 2 stuff
In many cases it is a good idea
But there are limits

To summarize...
..the differences between (1) who you actually are, (2) who you think you are, (3) how you think other people see you, and (4) how other people actually see you are too great
..the burden of deception (including self deception) causes stress and unbearable tension
And folks collapse under the failure

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
Working out and music has pretty much saved my life over and over

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Exercise, hobbies and avoiding the source of the stress as much as possible:mjpls:
Physical activity allows me to take on any situation and not be overwhelmed

Hobbies give me something to look forward to.

Avoiding stressful situations like turning down invites, declining favors, and staying away from potential conflict.