Old Head: Was OJ Simpson a star like Lebron is now?

Stuntone

Louisiana Made, DC PAID!
Daps
Reppin
IT Cert-Gang Mafia, GMB and HOH
First name that comes to mind that might even be in the same realm is Deion Sanders.

So if Deion Sanders was to kill his wife, you think it would be as big in the news?

You would've thought OJ was the Pope or a Saint. But the racial element amplified it all.

What if Eddie Murphy killed his white Model? :gladbron:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
So if Deion Sanders was to kill his wife, you think it would be as big in the news?

You would've thought OJ was the Pope or a Saint. But the racial element amplified it all.

Oh - I thought we were just talmbat sports dudes.

Eddie is a bigger star than OJ was, doe.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
I'm not an old head but it's not even close. Seems like a difficult thing to really put into context but OJ was a crossover cultural phenomenon before social media, before ESPN, before 24 hour news networks, and before the internet. Fame on another level.

Dude was basically colorless and loved by both blacks and whites. He was a transcendent figure who played America's most popular sport. He was handsome, charismatic, witty, photogenic, all that.

Lebron basically a lame try hard who can dunk that ball good and makes solid business decisions.

Yea, it's not even close.

OJ taking over this David Letterman interview, dude basically made Letterman into a fukking fanboy:

Six and half hour documentary on him:

Andy Warhol Photo
warhol_simpson.jpg

3700a2ca94592d28bb70f53e9c538524.jpg

eilc7wrtlg65trgc.jpg

OJ-Simpson.jpg

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys

Breh, this is what I'm saying. American's don't have that type of reverence when it comes to deities, but we worship the hell out of sports superstars.

OJ was that guy.

Oh - I thought we were just talmbat sports dudes.

Eddie is a bigger star than OJ was, doe.

Debatable.

Paradise50

Superstar
Daps
white folks LOVED OJ until he "killed" them cacs :damn:

honestly I can't think of a negus cacs loved the way they loved OJ....I mean I'm only 29 so he was already retired and still getting tons of love

edit: Now that I think about it I don't think cacs have ever idolized an athletic negus that way since OJ ...them killings changed everything. I would say Tiger Woods was maybe close to that level cause even his cac haters still respected the hell outta him before his personal life got exposed

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
i forgot all the film industry stuff OJ did. at first i was coming in this thread to say nah but thinking about it again makes me think twice (redundant, i know) :pachaha:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
OJ was big.

As a kid he was in Comedy movies, like Naked Gun. On TV commercials....

It would be someone like Michael Strahan. A brother they thought was safe.

Michael Strahan is a good call...but still OJ was bigger than him.

OJ was a Heisman Winner, yo. He had the notoriety that comes with that...
And he excelled at in his pro career...and he became an entertainer after that.

Matter of fact - as I type this, I had a flashback:

When The Simpsons was first coming on TV, they had an ad in the TV Guide.
It had a picture drawn of The Simpson Family with their names next to each one -
and then they drew O.J. to the side and said something like "O.J. is the forgotten Simpson".