Old Head: Was OJ Simpson a star like Lebron is now?

360Waves

2 girls and they get along like I'm Lou Will
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It may be corny, but using social media following is a pretty good way to gauge someone's stardom. So let's look at the numbers.

At 31.1million followers, LeBron James has more twitter followers than Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and Dwight Howard combined, with 3 million to spare. His follower count triples Kobe Bryant's.

He has about the same amount of followers as Drake.

He has 10 million more followers than Neymar Jr, an international soccer MEGA STAR.

In fact, the only athlete on Twitter with more followers than LeBron James is Cristiano Ronaldo, who is easily one of the most famous men in the world. I'm sure Messi would probably have him beat too but he doesn't use Twitter.

The fact that some of you seriously tried to suggest that LeBron James isn't that famous. LeBron James is literally 100x more famous than OJ Simpson ever was, dude just got a billion dollar contract from Nike for fukk's sake. He's had 2 silver screen movies made about him/featuring him in More than Game and Trainwreck and just got casted to be the lead in the sequel to Space Jam, fukking Space Jam. But he isn't famous. The Coli y'all. :mjlol:

Last edited:

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Michael Strahan is a good call...but still OJ was bigger than him.

OJ was a Heisman Winner, yo. He had the notoriety that comes with that...
And he excelled at in his pro career...and he became an entertainer after that.

Matter of fact - as I type this, I had a flashback:

When The Simpsons was first coming on TV, they had an ad in the TV Guide.
It had a picture drawn of The Simpson Family with their names next to each one -
and then they drew O.J. to the side and said something like "O.J. is the forgotten Simpson".
I think if a conspiracy theorist wanted the biggest proof of the industry blatantly saying things that are set to happen, The Simpsons would honestly be their biggest source of proof.

them nikkas call EVERYTHING

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
It may be corny, but using social media following is a pretty good way to gauge someone's stardom. So let's look at the numbers.

At 31.1million followers, LeBron James has more twitter followers than Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and Dwight Howard combined, with 3 million to spare. His follower count triples Kobe Bryant's.

He has about the same amount of followers as Drake.

He has 10 million more followers than Neymar Jr, an international soccer MEGA STAR.

In fact, the only athlete on Twitter with more followers than LeBron James is Cristiano Ronaldo, who is easily one of the most famous men in the world. I'm sure Messi would probably have him beat too but he doesn't use Twitter.

The fact that some of you seriously tried to suggest that LeBron James isn't that famous. LeBron James is literally 100x more famous than OJ Simpson ever was, dude just got a billion dollar contract from Nike for fukk's sake. He's had 2 silver screen movies made about him/featuring him in More than Game and Trainwreck and just got casted to be the lead in the sequel to Space Jam, fukking Space Jam. But he isn't famous. The Coli y'all. :mjlol:

I disagree about social media.

nikkaz take social media too serious. That's why nikkaz thinkin' DeRay McKesson was some superstar and when he ran for mayor of Baltimore, the dude got 2.6% of the vote.

There's a whole world of people 35 and up who give ZERO fukks about Twitter, Facebook, or any of that shyt. I'm the only nikka in my family that REALLY uses a computer for more than small shyt here and there.

And dude, you're completely underestimating how famous people could be back in the day when there was just 3 channels. In those days, you'd have 50 million, 100 million people watching just 1 TV show, now only The Super Bowl gets those types of numbers, whereas, "MASH" and "Roots" used to get those types of numbers.

There's millions of people who don't watch sports who don't care about LeBron James and in a world with 500 cable channels they don't have to.

There's so many distractions in the world today. People aren't as famous as people used to be just based on that alone.

Also, O.J. was a legitimate actor in movies and TV and the star of the biggest TV show in America on NFL Today at that time. He was more famous per capita than LeBron is, bruh.

AND he was more beloved as most of the country still can't stand LeBron

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
LeBron's fame getting underrated, he is global he is the second most polarizing player in basketball history next to Jordan...also he's doing movies now and has a lot of ventures he's only 31 his brand is only getting bigger.

I've been watching the OJ doc, I'm gonna go with The Rock. Defensive Tackle of a National Championship winning U of Miami squad, becomes WWE icon in the 90's and early 00's, then becomes Mr. Box Office and one of the go-to for Hollywood action and family movies. The guy is loved by everyone especially white people but thought of as a c00n by many blacks because he seems to embrace his Samoan side more.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
LeBron's fame getting underrated, he is global he is the second most polarizing player in basketball history next to Jordan...also he's doing movies now and has a lot of ventures he's only 31 his brand is only getting bigger.

I've been watching the OJ doc, I'm gonna go with The Rock. Defensive Tackle of a National Championship winning U of Miami squad, becomes WWE icon in the 90's and early 00's, then becomes Mr. Box Office and one of the go-to for Hollywood action and family movies. The guy is loved by everyone especially white people but thought of as a c00n by many blacks because he seems to embrace his Samoan side more.

Why does he embrace his Samoan side more?

Dave24

Superstar
Daps

Why does he embrace his Samoan side more?

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps

Nah.

First off, Jordan's not "polarizing". He's the most beloved basketball player of all-time and the 2nd most idolized athlete in the world after Muhammad Ali. Jordan's Bulls used to come into towns and the other teams fans would be rooting for The Bulls. The Air Jordans are shoes that people kill for all over America.

Whereas with LeBron, everybody acknowledges his talent, but even other players see him as a bytch. Fans see him as a bytch and a primadonna. He's trying to be Jordan, but he's not coming close. He's definitely not as beloved as O..J. was, who was as beloved as anybody in the country at the time.

Also, The Rock wasn't even playing for the U when they won the title. He was on the bench. He wasn't a star at all. O.J. was the best football player of all-time in college up to that point. Then, he went to the NFL and broke Jim Brown's rushing record. Dude was transcendent and a movie star on TOP of that.

There is no O.J. of today.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
I'm not an old head but it's not even close. Seems like a difficult thing to really put into context but OJ was a crossover cultural phenomenon before social media, before ESPN, before 24 hour news networks, and before the internet. Fame on another level.

Dude was basically colorless and loved by both blacks and whites. He was a transcendent figure who played America's most popular sport. He was handsome, charismatic, witty, photogenic, all that.

Lebron basically a lame try hard who can dunk that ball good and makes solid business decisions.

Yea, it's not even close.

OJ taking over this David Letterman interview, dude basically made Letterman into a fukking fanboy:

Six and half hour documentary on him:

Andy Warhol Photo
warhol_simpson.jpg

3700a2ca94592d28bb70f53e9c538524.jpg

eilc7wrtlg65trgc.jpg

OJ-Simpson.jpg

This. Only modern comparison is Strahan and even Strahan is like a Flavor-Aid version of what OJ was.