Old Head: Was OJ Simpson a star like Lebron is now?

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Tiger woods I would say before he cheated on his wife was the OJ Simpson.... beautiful white wife, white people loved him and he could do anything he wants..

Again, not even close.

Dude was an admitted cornball. He could hit that golf ball real good but he grew up sheltered. No personality, no aura.

What about Michael Jordan?

?

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Again, not even close.

Dude was an admitted cornball. He could hit that golf ball real good but he grew up sheltered. No personality, no aura.

?

I'm asking was Michael Jordan as transcendent as OJ was in your opinion? I believe he was over OJ. Everyone loved Jordan in the 90s.

Also, what other black entertainers/celebrities/athletes/politicians do you think were on OJ's level?

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
I'm asking was Michael Jordan as transcendent as OJ was in your opinion? I believe he was over OJ. Everyone loved Jordan in the 90s.

Also, what other black entertainers/celebrities/athletes/politicians do you think were on OJ's level?

Jordan on a different level and he basically occupies it alone.

WJRBCAHDJWmbu.gif

Unreal.:banderas:

I'd have to think about this a bit more. It's an interesting topic because he had qualities that a lot of athletes today simply don't have.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Now that I think about it it would probably be The Rock but that's debatable since he was a pro wrestler and he's mixed and rarely mentions his father's(black side). Dude went from being one of the biggest wrestling icons in the late 90's/early 2000's to being a big Hollywood star. He's got the good looks and natural charisma and is a natural at anything he does.

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not an old head but it's not even close. Seems like a difficult thing to really put into context but OJ was a crossover cultural phenomenon before social media, before ESPN, before 24 hour news networks, and before the internet. Fame on another level.

Dude was basically colorless and loved by both blacks and whites. He was a transcendent figure who played America's most popular sport. He was handsome, charismatic, witty, photogenic, all that.

Lebron basically a lame try hard who can dunk that ball good and makes solid business decisions.

Yea, it's not even close.

OJ taking over this David Letterman interview, dude basically made Letterman into a fukking fanboy:

Six and half hour documentary on him:

Andy Warhol Photo
warhol_simpson.jpg

3700a2ca94592d28bb70f53e9c538524.jpg

eilc7wrtlg65trgc.jpg

OJ-Simpson.jpg

The video comments are disabled :deadmanny:

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Now that I think about it it would probably be The Rock but that's debatable since he was a pro wrestler and he's mixed and rarely mentions his father's(black side). Dude went from being one of the biggest wrestling icons in the late 90's/early 2000's to being a big Hollywood star. He's got the good looks and natural charisma and is a natural at anything he does.

Why does he rarely mention his black side?

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know. They always talk about his Samoan side but rarely talk about his dad. Unless you watched wrestling you probably wouldn't even know he was mixed.
He looks like his Samoan side so I don't know why that's a surprise.

His stage name is a tribute to his dad in itself. I'm not sure what more could you ask for.

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
I don't know. They always talk about his Samoan side but rarely talk about his dad. Unless you watched wrestling you probably wouldn't even know he was mixed.

He probably put that shyt to make it big in entertainment. I can't really remember when he played but looking at pics and videos from when he was at UM he always had that Somoan shyt going on but he also had some real ******ish mannerisms. He seemed like just another one of the guys. And those Cane teams back in the day was real ratchet too. So I'm sure if he was putting on they wouldn't have accepted him

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA

By all accounts Jordan is and always was a grade A ass hole. His greatness isn't even up for debate but his off the court stand offishness added to his legend too. Not really the same with OJ.

They didn't call OJ the mayor of Brentwood for nothing. Pretty sure his personality outside of football made a big part of his legend. Without that he'd a been just another great RB. Kinda makes you think a little. Like maybe those Cacs did set him up cuz I could see them being pissed cuz he was running around in the limelight, throwing the dopest parties, fukking white girls left and right. Also how they don't really let on now how much of a fixture he was on the Hollywood social scene back then is kinda suspect too. Not like i was around back then but from I've heard he was the man everybody wanted to hang with

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
:coffee: to answer the question
bigger than Peyton Manning imo

Last edited:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jordan on a different level and he basically occupies it alone.

WJRBCAHDJWmbu.gif

Unreal.:banderas:

I'd have to think about this a bit more. It's an interesting topic because he had qualities that a lot of athletes today simply don't have.
plus these dudes don't act in movies

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Funnily enough, there is no O.J. Simpson of the 21st century because of . . . .O.J. Simpson.

The O.J. trial divided Amerikkka and brought back all of that crazy racial division that hasn't really gone away since. No athlete since O.J. has been as beloved by White people like O.J.

Tiger's the closest, but he's only 1/4th Black

First name that comes to mind that might even be in the same realm is Deion Sanders.

Nah, Deion's too ******ish

So if Deion Sanders was to kill his wife, you think it would be as big in the news?

You would've thought OJ was the Pope or a Saint. But the racial element amplified it all.

What if Eddie Murphy killed his white Model? :gladbron:

Nah, Deion's to braggadocious and Eddie Murphys' a has been who hasn't been funny in 25 years consistently. O.J was in his prime as an actor.Hell, O.J. was gonna be "The Terminator", but it was given to Arnold Schwarzenegger, because they didn't think O.J. could be violent

Dude was basically colorless and loved by both blacks and whites. He was a transcendent figure who played America's most popular sport. He was handsome, charismatic, witty, photogenic, all that.

Eh, O.J. was more beloved by Whites than Blacks.

Most Blacks thought of him as an Uncle Tom who only dated White women

Like others said the only one comparable would be Michael Strahan. I wasn't alive during his playing days so I only knew him from his movies and the Hertz commercials. It was almost overnight the way white people turned on OJ when the murders happened.

Yeah, this is the closest thing I can think of, not because Strahan's as famous as O.J., but he's a Hall of Fame football player who is in the 2nd act of his career as a huge TV star.

I heard he was a phenom. I wonder how big he was against say, Bruce Jenner. I know nothing about this since this all was before my time.

Bigger than Bruce Jenner. People don't care about the Olympics, but once every 4 years

Michael Strahan is a terrible comparison. Most people have no idea who he is.

:comeon:He's on the biggest morning show on television

Jordan was one of the 3 most famous people in the world at one point with Michael Jackson & Princess Diana. That's a whole nother level.

O.J was an entertainer who was a Hall of Fame running back, TV star, and movie star

Why does he rarely mention his black side?

You know why

:mjpls: