Revisiting Little Brother's catalog, which album was your fav?

LB's Best Album?

• The Listening (2003)

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Minstrel Show (2005)

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Getback (2007)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leftback (2010)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May the Lord Watch (2019)

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Yinny

Biracial a little bit
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
Refresher of their catalog:
  • 2003: The Listening.
  • 2005: The Minstrel Show.
  • 2007: Getback.
  • 2010: Leftback.
  • 2019: May the Lord Watch.
Helmed as the "new" Tribe (of whom I'm an unabashed Stan), at the time 2003 I played them a lot (+onmyradioshow) and this. The comparison was adequate, not sure if it helped or hurt them.

They had a great sense of humor (Roy Lee skits/Make me Hot P :laff:).
9th Wonder these samples really did it for me. (9th remixes tend to be pretty dope, Lucifer/Devil's Pie :wow: spacing on the others).

Topically they touched on a lot (Away from Me was pretty touching, old friends, a father "away" from his newborn child, fans not caring) and iirc they continued on that. I guess this is what is referred to as "regular dude" rap.

Fav tracks, no particular order
ladieslovemegirlsadoreme, the spazzing at the end :russ:

okay Peter Brown sample (Without Love)

- really like the rapping here

We got a better chance of blowing up in Switzerland

I really liked The Listening, much prefer it to Minstrel Show. Didn't check out the rest.

- you sample the Stylistics well I have nothing but Stan-like things to say :datazz:

- Obvious Tribe reference, sample etc, they did a decent job

Split
Phonte And 9th Wonder Rehash The Little Brother Break-Up

Twitter Tiff
After 9th Wonder was needed to approve the song for release, the Grammy Award-winning producer reportedly refused, telling Little Brother’s manager Big Dho that the record was not to be released with LeftBack.

After sharing with Twitter followers that 9th had wished for the song not to be included, Phonte (@Phontigallo) added, “In any event, I’m not gonna let anything or anybody stop me from getting music to my fans. fukk that. Enjoy. And as always, thank you for listening.” With the message, Phonte offered the song for free download.

The tensions became mutual when 9th Wonder (@9thWonderMusic), responded to a curious fan in saying, “…only if they knew the REAL story,” regarding the status of his former group. Via Twitter, Phonte accosted his former groupmate, saying, “Well tell your side of it or shut the fukk up.”

The conversation continued, as 9th Wonder replied, “you are NOT a tough guy…….none of us is…so KILL that noise…..and nikkas aint shuttin up. [sic]” The “us” presumably referred to Little Brother, a group that met and formed at North Carolina Central University in 1998.

New music amidst split
Phonte said that “Star” was initially intended to be released on The Wonder Years, 9th Wonder’s shelved album for Asylum Records. “You know what, man, I’ve got this one, last 9th [Wonder-produced] record that everybody’s [suggesting we release on the final Little Brother project].” To illustrate his disappointed, Phonte revealed that he and Rapper Big Pooh recorded “No Time To Chill” for 9th Wonder’s 2007 Dream Merchant Volume 2 album, without any direct request or gratitude. “During this time, we weren’t on speaking terms…9th never asked us to do that record; our manager Dho asked us.” Although Little Brother was newly without 9th, Phonte says he felt compelled to support his former band-mate. “Me and Pooh was both just like, ‘Dude, fukk it.’ And we did it.” Although the independent album, particularly that song, was talked about in the media, Phonte says he was never thanked or compensated for that track. “After it was done and the record was out, I never got anything – a call, a thank you, regardless of money. It wasn’t about money.” Phonte also said that it might not have been 9th Wonder who requested the song, giving the producer the benefit of the doubt.

In the video, Phonte also recounts the 2007 phone-call that ultimately cemented 9th Wonder’s departure from Little Brother. A conversation between ‘Tay and Pooh prompted a meeting request with 9th. Phonte suggested the trio meet alone in their North Carolina recording studio. After obliging, 9th then suggested they meet at Phonte’s house. Moments later, according to ‘Tay, the producer requested to have the conversation by phone. That request ultimately affected Phonte’s feelings about his former cohort. “I lost total respect. I feel like, at the end of the day, no matter what differences we have as men, we should always be able to talk.”

In conclusion, Phonte made the following ultimatum in the situation: “I’m offering one of three choices to 9th. One: I’m extending an olive branch. If there’s anything you want to talk to me, me and/or Pooh, you can address that face-to-face to us, like men. You can sit down and talk to us, like men. At the end, we can say what we got to say, it is what it is – either good or bad…my office is open. The door is open.”

The emcee also offered more of the same treatment the group had been dealing with, save for yesterday’s outbursts. “Two, either we both have a gag order.”

The last option was the following: “Three, keep doin’ this passive-aggressive shyt you doin’, and you can keep feelin’ the consequences of it, as you did today.”

At press time, 9th Wonder has yet to respond. [/QUOTE]

What were your fav tracks/albums? Do you still listen? Did you ever get to see them live (I'm jelly, how were/are they?!)

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
The minstrel show my least favorite but I like the minstril show theme song.

Daddies coming home baby
I'm not gonna cry
I'm NOT gonna
:mjgrin:

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
I never really listened to May the Lord watch so I dont know about that one.

Obviously the Listening and the Minstrel show were my fave but the Getback was pretty solid too. I dont remember the Leftback but I know that had Tigallo for Dolo which was one of my fave from Tay

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Every album other than Leftback is either great or borderline top tier IMO, but I'd say:

The Listening
The Minstrel Show / May the Lord Watch

Getback

Leftback

I know mixtapes don't count in this, but you can insert every mixtape between Getback and Leftback. So that's And Justus for All, Chittlin Circuit (1 and 1.5), and Separate but Equal.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never really listened to May the Lord watch so I dont know about that one.

Obviously the Listening and the Minstrel show were my fave but the Getback was pretty solid too. I dont remember the Leftback but I know that had Tigallo for Dolo which was one of my fave from Tay
May the Lord Watch was one of my favorite albums from 2019 and one of their best. It was so refreshing to hear them back like they never left. You reminded me that I still need to pick it up on vinyl.