Revisiting Little Brother's catalog, which album was your fav?

LB's Best Album?

• The Listening (2003)

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Minstrel Show (2005)

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Getback (2007)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leftback (2010)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May the Lord Watch (2019)

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Tough call. If we're not counting mixtapes, for me it's:

The Listening
The Minstrel Show
May The Lord Watch
Getback
Leftback

It's a strong catalog overall and depending on your age and tastes, The Listening is indelible. If you start bringing in solo stuff and mixtapes, Chitlin Circuit 1.5 is super underrated - as is Sleepers.

Might as well be considered an album

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Might as well be considered an album
I think so too. Also, a lot of effort went into that one, so it wasn't just a lazily thrown together mixtape. Especially for that era, when mixtapes were just a thrown together group of freestyles...CC and CC 1.5 had way more thought put into them.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I think so too. Also, a lot of effort went into that one, so it wasn't just a lazily thrown together mixtape. Especially for that era, when mixtapes were just a thrown together group of freestyles...CC and CC 1.5 had way more thought put into them.

I always wondered if CC was meant to be the official follow up to The Listening but then they got their deal with Atlantic and switched courses.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I always wondered if CC was meant to be the official follow up to The Listening but then they got their deal with Atlantic and switched courses.
So TMS was always meant to be the sequel. The original Chitlin Circuit was only sold at live shows in 2004. The first half of TMS were recorded around the same time as a lot f the CC material (Lovin' It, Slow it Down, Still Lives Through...) LB signed with Atlantic, and got a side deal with Koch shortly after. At first they were just going to release CC on Koch, but 6 or 7 joints on CC had exclusive deals to be released in other places, and/or couldn't be released for other reasons. Sinners was going on a soundtrack, I See Now was for a Consequence album, Feelin' Alright was for an album in Japan, the Threat Freestyle had a Black Album beat that couldn't be released, etc.

So for the Koch deal, LB went back and recorded some brand new songs and then gave Koch the CC 1.5 version. Since it wasn't all new material, they didn't want to call it CC 2, and so that's where the 1.5 name came from. The OG Chitlin Circuit only became available on streaming down the road, and for a long time it was only available at live shows or on websites that sold hard copy mixtapes through the mail.

I do think might have been a couple songs on CC 1.5 considered for The Minstrel Show but didn't make it, but I don't remember which ones. Nobody Like Me is one I'm thinking might have been. Most of what was intended for The Minstrel Show was released. The Olio and Hold On were the big songs that didn't make it, but they were put on the Japanese and UK versions. And there's a 9th Wonder produced version of Watch Me that may be floating around somewhere.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
So TMS was always meant to be the sequel. The original Chitlin Circuit was only sold at live shows in 2004. The first half of TMS were recorded around the same time as a lot f the CC material (Lovin' It, Slow it Down, Still Lives Through...) LB signed with Atlantic, and got a side deal with Koch shortly after. At first they were just going to release CC on Koch, but 6 or 7 joints on CC had exclusive deals to be released in other places, and/or couldn't be released for other reasons. Sinners was going on a soundtrack, I See Now was for a Consequence album, Feelin' Alright was for an album in Japan, the Threat Freestyle had a Black Album beat that couldn't be released, etc.

So for the Koch deal, LB went back and recorded some brand new songs and then gave Koch the CC 1.5 version. Since it wasn't all new material, they didn't want to call it CC 2, and so that's where the 1.5 name came from. The OG Chitlin Circuit only became available on streaming down the road, and for a long time it was only available at live shows or on websites that sold hard copy mixtapes through the mail.

I do think might have been a couple songs on CC 1.5 considered for The Minstrel Show but didn't make it, but I don't remember which ones. Nobody Like Me is one I'm thinking might have been. Most of what was intended for The Minstrel Show was released. The Olio and Hold On were the big songs that didn't make it, but they were put on the Japanese and UK versions. And there's a 9th Wonder produced version of Watch Me that may be floating around somewhere.

You sir. Deserve ten reps for your wealth of knowledge

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
U didn’t like Speed off or The Way You Do It off The Listening? I still think my mix is better than any single album of theirs but The Minstrel Show is prolly the overall better album.