Serena Williams: "Do they say LeBron is one of the best 'male athletes'?"

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
Well the NBA was supposed to be the best players on earth until they got spanked in the Olympics a few times when the Brons and Kobes weren't there. So they only competed against other NBA teams and then lost on the international front? There are wrinkles all in this thread.
you need to stop posting guy. if the nba lost to international players, then they lost to international MEN, not women. No nba team would lose to any team of women that exists or that has ever existed. the simple fact is that the best athletes period on earth are men. if she cannot do as well as them, then she is not one of the best athletes without adding a qualifier to it.

Pineal Gland

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PG County
Well the NBA was supposed to be the best players on earth until they got spanked in the Olympics a few times when the Brons and Kobes weren't there. So they only competed against other NBA teams and then lost on the international front? There are wrinkles all in this thread.
The winning team had NBA players on their roster:francis:

Jacaveli The Don

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#NarcissistGang
Breh, Abby Wambach (soccer) has more international goals than anyone on earth male or female. More than Pele, more than Ronaldo, More than Messi more than Raul, Puskas...any of them...To not call her one of the best players to ever live is INSANITY.

Breh, I hope you do realise that 90-95% (maybe even higher) of Abby Wambach's opponents are part-time semi professional soccer players so comparing her goal record against the greatest soccer players of all time is off the charts ridiculous

By that logic, lets have Lionel Messi play against Somalia just so he can get his goal tally up

Last edited:

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
I don't blame you for not knowing..its not like traditional media highlights women's sports. But to say women who run track and dominated (i.e. the Jamaicans) or played soccer and dominated (i.e. the American) are not among the greatest athletes, that's silly.

Breh, Abby Wambach (soccer) has more international goals than anyone on earth male or female. More than Pele, more than Ronaldo, More than Messi more than Raul, Puskas...any of them...To not call her one of the best players to ever live is INSANITY.

Context matters. You don't just put a 68 Mustang up against a '13 458 Italia and then say the Mustang isn't one of the greatest cars ever. You compare it to the other cars (or in this case women) of the same era.

We do it all the time when it comes to players of the past. Kareem, Hakeem, Ken Griffey Jr., Hank Aaron, Tim Brown etc. All of them some of the greatest of all time and yet when compared to some of the players now, their feats don't really seem all that amazing. But the CONTEXT of time/place lets us give them accolades.

Again, I'm not saying I totally agree. I'm just saying that I understand the nuance.

Breh Amy wambach, is not one of the greatest lmao

Beck.er.

All Star
Daps
She is one of the world's greatest.
She is dominant in her field.

The best athletes are ranked as such in comparison to their competitors; within their sport, specific discipline or event, weight class, specialty. Era.

Jesse Owens is a world's greatest athlete though his gold medal time would merely get 43rd place in the 100 semis at Rio, yet he is greater than every 100 sprinter there save one.
Usain Bolt is iconic but can't outcompete the vast majority of his sport's athletes, doesn't even contend 94% of the sport's competitions.
Sugar Ray Robinson is one of the greatest boxers though he'd lose against any heavyweight. He was the best at what he did, he is pound for pound top 3, one of the best in the absolute because of his performance in a specific category/subsection.

Plus most Greatest Athletes Ever! were/are only ever competitive in one elite sport; so don't excel at whole sets of athletic skills, only dominate within defined parameters.

"The Greatest" label also implies someone is an influential sports figure whose impact goes beyond dry black and white figures, scores and ratings. There are athletes who won a lot, had great stats but aren't memorable.

Serena is iconic. She changed the game, how it's played and trained for and how it's marketed and televised. She's recognizable outside the sports world, identifiable by one name. People who aren't tennis fans will tune in to watch her, buy a magazine because she's on the cover, purchase tickets for a match. Enroll their kids in tennis lessons. She paved the way for greater inclusion, diversity, outreach in the sport. She influences her sport from the elite levels on down and athletes not in her sport. Her impact is bigger than winning lots of matches.

She's the best at what she does (playing tennis, against elite female competitors), like Owens (sprinting and jumping, in the 1930s), Bolt (sprinting, at two specific distances), Robinson (boxing, fighters who weigh 154-160lbs) at a level that elevates them as athletes beyond their specific categories.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Her point is stupid but Serena is most certainly one of the greatest athletes in history male or female in any sport. Without question. She's Wilt, Russell, Jordan, Tiger, Montana, Marino, Lawrence Taylor, Deion, Usain, Pele, Messi, Gretzky levels GOAT.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
you need to stop posting guy. if the nba lost to international players, then they lost to international MEN, not women. No nba team would lose to any team of women that exists or that has ever existed. the simple fact is that the best athletes period on earth are men. if she cannot do as well as them, then she is not one of the best athletes without adding a qualifier to it.
U need to learn what elite and mediocrity means. International men who are not consistent all Stars beat the fukking NBA best and u trying to write it off because u got issues about a dominant female in another context? Stupid.

HellRell804

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
U need to learn what elite and mediocrity means. International men who are not consistent all Stars beat the fukking NBA best and u trying to write it off because u got issues about a dominant female in another context? Stupid.

You do realize the Argentina team that won in 04 had 6 NBA players including manu ginobili

PartyHeart

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
(Sigh) This is stupid. Male and female sports are separate for a reason. Ignoring biological realities doesn't elevate the value of women, any more than ignoring that a watermelon has seeds will make it better than an orange. You see how absurd that last analogy sounds.

This is just a failure of feminism. Equality doesn't mean everyone has to be the same and in trying to force this, ironically you end up invalidating your worth because you accept the implication of superiority of that which you attempt to emulate.

Sorry if that seems convoluted or nonsensical.

This doesn't have anything to do with feminism. Coli men just used it to rail against feminism and women in general as usual. Which was ironic and what I chose to call out. Because they call Black feminism stupid because it means Black women taking into account their race and gender when it comes to social issue, when they feel race should always supersede gender. Yet in this instance and most others, when there is a chance to choose race or gender, they quickly align with their gender to try to assert dominance over all women. I'm still waiting for someone to explain that.

And Serena is still one of the greatest athletes of all time. That is actually a fact. She would wipe the floor with every poster in here including me, male or female. She'd do that with 99% of the population, including other male athletes in other sports. The 1% that might beat her out, are some of the professionally trained male tennis athletes and that's it. How does that not make her one of the greatest athletes of all time? And why was offense taken when one of our greatest icons made a simple comment about how she'd like to be labeled?

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
This doesn't have anything to do with feminism. Coli men just used it to rail against feminism and women in general as usual. Which was ironic and what I chose to call out. Because they call Black feminism stupid because it means Black women taking into account their race and gender when it comes to social issue, when they feel race should always supersede gender. Yet in this instance and most others, when there is a chance to choose race or gender, they quickly align with their gender to try to assert dominance over all women. I'm still waiting for someone to explain that.

And Serena is still one of the greatest athletes of all time. That is actually a fact. She would wipe the floor with every poster in here including me, male or female. She'd do that with 99% of the population, including other male athletes in other sports. The 1% that might beat her out, are some of the professionally trained male tennis athletes and that's it. How does that not make her one of the greatest athletes of all time? And why was offense taken when one of our greatest icons made a simple comment about how she'd like to be labeled?
I think I'm more concerned with some feminist undertones which seem to imply that women have to compete with men to validate their worth. I would agree that Serena is one of the greatest athletes of all time b/c of her performance in her own right in her category. To me she shouldn't have to compete with men to solidify this status because doing so is nonsensical. I'm reminded of how cringeworthy footage of female high school football players are for some reason, because they aren't built for the sport. Objectively an evaluation of Serena's performances in her category is more than enough to justify the greatness of her legacy with no need to compare her to male athletes.

There's something strange about this dynamic I'm not quite able to describe. Lol!

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
What about fruit olympics? Apples and oranges have a race and I pick one apple and one orange as some of the greatest participants in their perspective races, I don't have to compare apples to oranges to evaluate their greatness because they are categorically different, right? Lemme read some more of ya'll responses for more perspective.