State your unpopular comic book character opinion

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
  • Secret Invasion >>>>>>> world war hulk >>>> civil war
  • thor is fukking awful...a dumb charactor who always sucked with almost zero great tales
  • Darkseid > apocalype > stryfe >>>> thanos
  • Marvel could do a LOT more with Ghostrider

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Arrow >> Heroes

I liked Heroes, but Arrow blew that shyt outta the water.
Maybe it gets better, but maybe 8 episodes into Arrow season 2 it's exactly what I thought it would be: bad acting, unconvincing performances, soap opera melodrama, low production values, forced romances, villain of the week episodes out the ass, etc. Maybe I'm supposed to be judging it on a curve as opposed to using the same critique I would for any show since it's a comic book show on the CW:manny: The first two seasons of Heroes had nikkas contemplating whether they should watch 24 or Heroes that night. Much more imagination, better acting, better cast in general, better plot, much more mature, better action, etc. I'm well aware of the fall off, but the quality of the first two seasons is inarguable.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
  • I was wrong about Miles Morales. i liked his civilian identity but i felt having him be the new "replacement" Spider-Man would doom him from the start, as he would always be overshadowed by the original and be the forgotten b*stard child... like what batwing is in DC. No cartoon appearances, no games, no movies, no future. but i give bendis all the credit for building Miles up into his own unique character who can not only be independent of peter parker's spiderman but can actually be compatible with him as well. Everything from the bad ass costume design to the additional power set (invisibility + venom blast) gives him a uniqueness so its not just a Spiderman clone... and his youthful insecurities has it's own 'voice' that's different enough from Parker. If they ever bridged the gap and brought Miles to the 616-verse, he could easily be the nightwing to spiderman's batman... he's his own character, and the only issue would be how to carry over his supporting cast.. but that's getting off topic. point is, i'm very impressed with what the character has evolved into, and i could even see Sony including him in a future movie, in which i feel he'd be a big hit with the kids.

• I also feel secret invasion was the best marvel event from the bendis era. Not saying it was flawless but it was probably the only one that had an epic beginning, middle, epic tie in stories, and an epic finish with an 'oh shyt!' plot twist at the end (osborn 'saving' the day and being crowned earth's savior lol). It was a satisfying story.

• I felt Siege was a total clusterfuk of failure to the Bendis era of Avengers. For those who remembered, it was promoted as the be-all end-all conclusion to a story "7 years in the making".. i.e. from what began in Avengers Disassembled (in which scarlet witch went crazy) all the way through the sentry... house of m... world war hulk.. secret invasion.. dark reign... i.e. all that happened during Bendis's entire run to that point... it was supposed to wrap it all up and bring closure. but yet the central figure in all of this (Wanda) was stuck in some bullshyt young avengers miniseries that damn near took 2 years to finish with all the delays. And then, the 2nd most important person (the Hulk) who was Sentry's best friend, the person who actually beat the Sentry in WWH and then allowed himself to be imprisoned so he wouldn't do any more harm.. was rushed back prematurely and thrown in some hulk-spamming co-event running alongside Seige in which Banner's supporting cast + others become Hulks (or something).
Perhaps politics played a part in the usage of hulk and scarlet witch.. but no way should Siege have *not* ended with Hulk being released/breaking out of captivity to "save the world" (as the ultimate ironic twist to the logic the illumanati had in sending Hulk to space to begin with) but failing to beat Sentry a 2nd time... which would set up Wanda's return to ultimately son Sentry.. as an act of redemption on her part. Keep everything the same but develop those two characters/plot points, and I feel that would have brought everything full circle as those 2 characters were huge pieces to how things got to where it was.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
- wolverine is a fukkin awesome character but i hate the fact that he's become the face of the x men franchise because in the big scheme of things he is a supporting character.

- I hate the fact that superman now finds himself in a position where he has to be defended because so many people find him "uncool".

- i hate the fukkin japanese influence on the art style these days in some of the comics and the cartoons. superman looks like a fukkin faq now with that emo haircut and that boyish looking face of his. nikka this ain't no final fantasy this is fukkin superman. our superheroes used to actually resemble grown men.

I hate that too. However, a corrupt Superman is by far the most evil things you want, like "Injustice"

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
DC is mad underrated and people still consider their heroes "lame" since they are stuck in the 90s when Marvel was 'it' when it came to coolness.

Marvel characters may be more realistic, but they make very bad role models for kids outside of their superhero antics. I mean, who wants their kids to be broke like Peter Parker or be a killing machine like Wolverine? Only Cap, Black Panther, and Thor are people that strive to be better heroes and people.

Batman may be a bit overexposed, but in terms of quality, he is the most consistent books on the market.

Superman has tons of great stories, but no one wants to read them because everyone thinks that he is "lame" for striving to be a better hero and person. Says a lot about the readers that are content with bullshyt about their lives.

dikk Grayson doesn't get enough props.

Last edited:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
I hate that it takes billion dollar hollywood executives (who are probably largely pieces of shyt themselves but simply see the money grab opportunities) to get Marvel and DC to act right when it comes to black characters in their books. i.e. Falcon went from not mentioned at all to leader of 2 avengers teams plus his own solo series... coincidentally following the praise-worthy showing anthony mackie had in the winter soldier. Or Black Panther, who was basically castrated by Marvel mere moments after the black hollywood writer (Hudlin) left; i.e. soon after he lost his crown, lost his marriage, bullshyt ass doom war where he lost his vibranium and got embarrassed by dr doom at every corner, they whored out his wife to wolverine just so they could rub it in his face.. just a buncha bs until Hickman took interest in the character and salvaged him (sort of). But now that he's got a movie greenlit and an adored actor playing him.. i bet they prominently make him "the batman" of marvel by 2016.

John Stewart is the b*stard child of the green lanterns who they were trying to kill off a year or so ago until the news broke and fan outrage had them fall back (or so is the rumor)... but let will smith or someone else pick him for justice league, and DC finna have Stewart all up in the video like its 2004 (JLU cartoon) all over again.

So my agitation isn't that they will finally get shine or respectable characterization.. but that it seemingly took Disney or WB going :ufdup:to get the editorial staff within the actual companies to go "alright alright fine... we'll treat these negroes characters with base level respect."

It's been a lot more progress in the past year (black avengers team, black superman named Val Zod, Mr. Terrific being relevant again, Falcon & BP on the rise, they brought back/revamped Deathlok, there's Cyborg as the new token black smh but we'll see what they do with him now, and somewhat oddly they are pairing up their major superheroines with black male love interests... i.e.supergirl, powergirl and captain marvel). So you have to acknowledge that.. but smh at all the bullshyt prior to this revamping.

edit- and not saying they should 'over do it' like some would argue with cap-falcon (or making wally west black :patrice:) but it shouldn't be one extreme or the other.

GL John Stewart is the best earth GL. He doesn't do none of that slack shyt that Hal and Guy Gardner always been known to do.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Damn..now the site has heeled on Marvel cartoons. The DC pandering continues more than ever. There is no denying that the X-Men TAS show and Wolverine and the X-Men were very good shows. The Hulk show? Nah..the FF show? Nah. Spider Man had some LOL moments but it was legendary for the time.

:heh: no they weren't.

Best thing those shows ever did was give us the voices for the Capcom fighting games.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gambit is in the top 15-20 X-men, but not the top 10. Dude has his moments, but the cartoon had a lot of us thinking he was way more important that he actually is.

(this one probably isn't unpopular but here goes:smile: Jean Grey should have stayed dead after the Dark Phoenix Saga.
:snoop: at all of the convoluted craziness after they brought her back... Cyclops leaving his wife and kid? :dahell:

Post-Phoenix, Cyclops is :salute: whenever Jean is incapacitated/dead/absent (eg Astonishing X-men), but he's :shaq2: whenever she's still alive...
(Note, this applies to post-Dark Phoenix Saga Cyclops. He was that dude in the original stories up to that point.)

Wolverine needed a break. He's dope but way overused.

If Marvel ever gets the rights back, they should make X-men a live-action series instead of movies. They'd have a lot more wiggle room to represent the GOAT storylines and build stuff up like in the comics. That, and there would be more room to focus on other characters besides Xavier/Magneto/Wolverine/Mystique :comeon:
Imagine a whole season of piff (Giant Size X-men, Proteus, etc.) leading up to a 3-part Dark Phoenix Saga finale :banderas:
A Days of Future Past premier for the next season followed immediately by the original "I, Magneto" story where he sank that sub :banderas:
A season-long arc covering the Brood saga, Wolverine in Japan, and the rest of the Paul Smith storylines :banderas:
A whole season covering Age of Apocalypse :banderas:
A whole season covering Astonishing X-men in live action :banderas:

Mutant Massacre would be :lupe: on a live-action TV series with Angel's wings getting pinned :sadcam:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Imagine a whole season of piff (Giant Size X-men, Proteus, etc.) leading up to a 3-part Dark Phoenix Saga finale :banderas:
A Days of Future Past premier for the next season followed immediately by the original "I, Magneto" story where he sank that sub :banderas:
A season-long arc covering the Brood saga, Wolverine in Japan, and the rest of the Paul Smith storylines :banderas:
A whole season covering Age of Apocalypse :banderas:
A whole season covering Astonishing X-men in live action :banderas:

Mutant Massacre would be :lupe: on a live-action TV series with Angel's wings getting pinned :sadcam:

LOL@Astonishing X-Men...but yeah..the Age of Apocalypse was the next season on Woverine and the X-Men. Despite the horrible title of that show, it was done pretty well and Wolverine got his ass kicked when he was supposed to as well. He talked back a lot to Cyclops and Rogue though..so if you can put up with that type of nonsense, it was on the right level. The villains got ALOT of shared screen time too.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
  • I was wrong about Miles Morales. i liked his civilian identity but i felt having him be the new "replacement" Spider-Man would doom him from the start, as he would always be overshadowed by the original and be the forgotten b*stard child... like what batwing is in DC. No cartoon appearances, no games, no movies, no future. but i give bendis all the credit for building Miles up into his own unique character who can not only be independent of peter parker's spiderman but can actually be compatible with him as well. Everything from the bad ass costume design to the additional power set (invisibility + venom blast) gives him a uniqueness so its not just a Spiderman clone... and his youthful insecurities has it's own 'voice' that's different enough from Parker. If they ever bridged the gap and brought Miles to the 616-verse, he could easily be the nightwing to spiderman's batman... he's his own character, and the only issue would be how to carry over his supporting cast.. but that's getting off topic. point is, i'm very impressed with what the character has evolved into, and i could even see Sony including him in a future movie, in which i feel he'd be a big hit with the kids.
  • I also feel secret invasion was the best marvel event from the bendis era. Not saying it was flawless but it was probably the only one that had an epic beginning, middle, epic tie in stories, and an epic finish with an 'oh shyt!' plot twist at the end (osborn 'saving' the day and being crowned earth's savior lol). It was a satisfying story.

• I felt Siege was a total clusterfuk of failure to the Bendis era of Avengers. For those who remembered, it was promoted as the be-all end-all conclusion to a story "7 years in the making".. i.e. from what began in Avengers Disassembled (in which scarlet witch went crazy) all the way through the sentry... house of m... world war hulk.. secret invasion.. dark reign... i.e. all that happened during Bendis's entire run to that point... it was supposed to wrap it all up and bring closure. but yet the central figure in all of this (Wanda) was stuck in some bullshyt young avengers miniseries that damn near took 2 years to finish with all the delays. And then, the 2nd most important person (the Hulk) who was Sentry's best friend, the person who actually beat the Sentry in WWH and then allowed himself to be imprisoned so he wouldn't do any more harm.. was rushed back prematurely and thrown in some hulk-spamming co-event running alongside Seige in which Banner's supporting cast + others become Hulks (or something).
Perhaps politics played a part in the usage of hulk and scarlet witch.. but no way should Siege have *not* ended with Hulk being released/breaking out of captivity to "save the world" (as the ultimate ironic twist to the logic the illumanati had in sending Hulk to space to begin with) but failing to beat Sentry a 2nd time... which would set up Wanda's return to ultimately son Sentry.. as an act of redemption on her part. Keep everything the same but develop those two characters/plot points, and I feel that would have brought everything full circle as those 2 characters were huge pieces to how things got to where it was.

I don't know who had you thinkining the Void storyline with Siege was the end of the Scarlet Witch journey but that ended in 2012 in A v X. Siege was just a build up of Sentry vs Thor by the end and Osborn finally losing that Cabal and power base, which NEVER made sense to begin with. Why would Doom ever allow for anyone like that to talk to him? It was hilariously out of character.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Maybe it gets better, but maybe 8 episodes into Arrow season 2 it's exactly what I thought it would be: bad acting, unconvincing performances, soap opera melodrama, low production values, forced romances, villain of the week episodes out the ass, etc. Maybe I'm supposed to be judging it on a curve as opposed to using the same critique I would for any show since it's a comic book show on the CW:manny: The first two seasons of Heroes had nikkas contemplating whether they should watch 24 or Heroes that night. Much more imagination, better acting, better cast in general, better plot, much more mature, better action, etc. I'm well aware of the fall off, but the quality of the first two seasons is inarguable.
I'll give you season 1 of Heroes but the show started showing some bad signs by the start of season 2 that eventually blew up into the clusterfukkery that killed what should have been a long-running high quality show.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I don't know who had you thinkining the Void storyline with Siege was the end of the Scarlet Witch journey but that ended in 2012 in A v X. Siege was just a build up of Sentry vs Thor by the end and Osborn finally losing that Cabal and power base, which NEVER made sense to begin with. Why would Doom ever allow for anyone like that to talk to him? It was hilariously out of character.
It was in marvel's own solicits and advertisements for the event that siege was the end-all be-all to bendis's run that started at disassembled.

And really, A v X was a botched/underwhelming attempt at closing Hope's journey. They spent a good what, 2 years? with that Cable story.. completely destroying/vilifying the bishop character.. killing off nightcrawler.. had that very good messiah-complex story (or the future-based apocalypse one iirc)... hyping hope up as this big thing worth all the sacrifice,etc.. only to have it lead to some shyt characterization x-men/avengers mini. Yea they threw in scarlet witch in there for good measure to i guess kill 2 birds with 1 stone but meh. Not to mention that's where all the bullshyt between black panther and storm reached it's nonsensical climax.

I was straight done with marvel for a full year after that, with the exception of hickman's new avengers.. and that was off the strength of his king of the dead storyline durin his FF run, in which i liked the reed/t'challa dynamic he had there.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
  • Secret Invasion >>>>>>> world war hulk >>>> civil war
  • thor is fukking awful...a dumb charactor who always sucked with almost zero great tales
  • Darkseid > apocalype > stryfe >>>> thanos
  • Marvel could do a LOT more with Ghostrider

Read Oeming's run on Thor, you'll rescind that comment....

TNC

Hardbody
Daps

"My God has a hammer".... GOAT Nick Fury line :blessed: